PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. BUG: Out-GridView hangs in ISEP 5.1.1

In ISE Preview 5.1.1 (running on Windows 10.10586.164, FWIW), this hangs:

"foo" | out-gridview

Then if you hit Ctrl+C, ISEP says "Stopping"... forever.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

In Queue  ·  3 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I'd like to rename my variables and functions like in Visual Studio (.refactor.rename)

implemented either in ISE and/or in VS with Posh Extension

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Understand the difference now based on the comments about replace-all versus rename.refactor. Marking as Survey.

3. Have the Find window to remember the last search string

Have the Find window to remember the last search string

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  3 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ValidateScript intellisense shows only ScriptBlock

Applies to: ISE, ISE-Preview, Powershell V5 console

When you try to use completion inside ValidateScript() intellisense instead of completing cmdlet names inserts "ScriptBlock". There is no problem with completing parameter names.
    Screenshot: https://snag.gy/T6iomf.jpg

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In Queue  ·  0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Editing remote files without interactive remoting active.

At the moment it's possible to edit remote files using ISE (I love it!) but that requires interactive session to be active. It would be great if editing would require only PSSession to exist.That would enable scenarios like:
    -- modifying files on multiple endpoints
    -- modifying remote file and running local commands at the same time

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. In ISE, the number of replacements should be shown.

The count could be displayed in a message box, and/or in the status bar. The count gives a good feeling about the exactness of the requested operation. For instance, if the count is just a few when you expected a lot, something was misspelled. Right now, it is dead quiet.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ISE Preview, the ISE Alias, and the PsEdit Function

In the PowerShell ISE Preview, the "ise" alias should not launch a new instance of the old powershell_ise.exe, it should open the script given to it as an argument in a new tab in the currently-running host ISE process (just the like psEdit function does).

Personally, I prefer to open scripts into new tabs using "ise" instead of "psedit" because it is shorter (and also a habit burned in from years of use). When the new PowerShell ISE is released later this year, please make "ise" an alias for the psEdit function, or a function in its own right, or…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Double click highlight occurrences

Double clicked strings and integers should be clearly highlighted (like in Notepad++ or in VSCode) if there are multiple occurrences of the same word or number.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide a way to set the display name for a "PowerShell tab"

This request comes from an internal team. The ask is to have an action to set a name for a "PowerShell tab" so that it's clear what each tab's session is being used for.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bug: built-in psEdit function

When called w/o file name, the pre-defined psEdit function prompts for a file Name to be opened in a new ISE tab. If you then just hit the enter key the function will open each file it finds in the current directory. I consider this not a feature but rather a bug.

Therefore, I've put the following function in my ISE Profile script to overwrite the original psEdit function:

function psEdit {
    param(

[Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]

[string[]]
    $filenames

)
    foreach ($filename in $filenames) {

dir $filename | where {!$_.PSIsContainer} | %{

$psISE.CurrentPowerShellTab.Files.Add($_.FullName) > $null
    }

}
    }

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Support C# Syntax and Other .NET Languages

To start with, PowerShell is really awesome. It is great to see it progress and mature as it has over the years.

One of the issues I (and other .NET developers I know) have had with this great scripting solution is that it is based on .NET, but the way in which you write scripts for it is not based on any language that .NET has known.

That is, it seems as if PowerShell is a .NET technology, and supports only one language. This seems to fly in the face of the spirit of .NET, where its intent/value was to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add a regular expression option in Settings as default mode in 'Find'

The flag mut be set each time the ISE is launched

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Find should remember more than only the last searched string

LIke done in Excel/VBA, and in Notepad++.
    Hitting down arrow in the search box should show the previous strings

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Option to disable scroll-to-prompt on left mouse click in ISE console window.

In PowerShell v3 there was a "feature" added, that moved cursor/ scrolled down to prompt whenever console window gets focus. It makes selecting text in output from previous commands a real nightmare.

I would love to get rid off this "feature", or if not possible - at least have an option to turn it off. If possible, make it a default behavior.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Start-Process -NoNewWindow switch does not work properly in ISE

When you use Start-Process with the -NoNewWindow switch, it is supposed to direct any stdout from the process back to the powershell console that you called Start-Process with. This works as expected when you run the command from the regular PowerShell console (whose Name is "ConsoleHost"). However, if you run the same command from PowerShell ISE (or other IDEs such as PowerGUI), no output is displayed.

I have observed this bug using PowerShell v5; I'm not certain if it is present in previous versions of PowerShell or ISE.

The bug is also mentioned in a few other places on the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Find in ISE needs to be able to wrap rather than stopping when it reaches the end of the file

Find in ISE starts from the cursor position and stops at the end of the file. This is extremely annoying behavior since to perform a full file search you need to move the cursor to the beginning of the file before beginning "Find".

Find needs the ability to find within an entire file from anywhere the search is started -- just like notepad++, notepad2, and any other modern text editor.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. PowerShell ISE Preview - Make the Status Bar extensible

There isn't a lot going on in the Status Bar right now, just Zoom and line / column. It would be great if the rest of the space down there was customizable, perhaps via add-ons. For example:
    * The ability to show how much memory the ISE is currently using as either a number or nifty htop-like bar graph.
    * The ability to customize some text like we can with $host.UI.RawUI.WindowTitle
    * The ability to display a progress bar with custom text
    * The ability to display a particular color if an error is encountered, along with the name of…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Presist the state of collapsed regions/functions/etc

I was thinking it would be nice if the state of collapsed regions/functions/etc was persisted somehow so that next time you open the script it remembers the collapsed sections. This would be very useful for large scripts where you are working on a particular functionality over a number of days.

I don't see this for all scripts but maybe just for the same list that is in the most recent scripts in the File menu.

I floated this idea with my PowerShell class today and there were a number of others that expressed benefit from that feature too.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base