PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support basic line wrapping in ISE Script Pane

All IDE's support line wrapping inside the editor, except Powershell ISE (even Notepad has it)! This is useful, for example, when using ISE in a virtual machine console session, where the screen is often smaller than your screens actual resolution.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Windows PowerShell ISE: Add "wrap around" option to Find/Replace dialogues

Votes from Connect: 31

Original Date Submitted: 6/21/2013 12:33:37 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: deadlydog
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 790583

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: Yes, this happens in all previous versions

Problem Description:
    The Find and Replace windows should have an option to automatically wrap around file, instead of being forced to use the Search Up checkbox. I often search for text and get the "Cannot Find X" message because I forgot to check/uncheck the Search Up checkbox. Sometimes I remember to do this, and sometimes I go on thinking that the text doesn't exist in my document anymore,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Clean up formatting

As many of us share and use snippets from other sources, including the Internet, colleagues etc. sometimes their formatting is destroyed in the copy/paste process or is already destroyed due to a change in a website template for example.
    While it's a "nice to have" feature, being able to clean up the formatting (using proper indentation, parentheses spacing etc.) for selected blocks of code would get the code in to a more readable format more quickly.

While everyone formats their code differently, having a few selctable methods of cleaning up would be beneficial such as:
    -Keep opening parentheses on same…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ISE should support specifying arguments to debugged script

When running a script within the ISE, it doesn't get any arguments.

I wish I was given the possibility (for each opened script, separately) to specify the command-line arguments I want to debug the script with, like in Visual Studio.

That feature is still missing in PS5!

(PowerGUI has this feature; there's an edit box where one can enter script arguments)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Function/Region/Workflow Explorer in PowerShellISE

Votes from Connect: 5

Original Date Submitted: 4/23/2015 9:15:37 PM

Description:

Contact Information
    Handle: Emmanuel Demillière
    Feedback ID: 1272260

Problem Description:
    Hello,

I would really appreciate to have a region/function/workflow explorer in PowerShellISE.
    Indeed, since v3, we can use regions to collapse/expand lines of code, but we cannot access a given region/function/workflow quickly.

In Visual Studio we have this feature only for Function/Workflow.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 1272260 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=1272260).

Repro Steps:

Internal BugId: 14400

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Windows PowerShell ISE freezes in windows 10

Windows powershell ISE freezes very often after running even simple command. This has been happening since we moved to Windows 10.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there,

We haven’t heard anything about this from anyone else, so I’m guessing there might be something messed up with your machine configuration. Would you mind posting the output of $PSVersionTable. Also, is this happening on all Win10 machines across your deployment? Do you have similar issues when using powershell.exe isnstead of PowerShell ISE, or is it limited to the ISE?

Thanks,
    Joey

7. BUG: ISE Preview - Show-Command

On both my Windows 10 boxes, Show-Command does not work in the ISE Preview. It gives the following error:

Show-Command : [A]System.Collections.Generic.List1[Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ShowCommandExtension.ShowCommandCommandInfo] cannot be cast to
    [B]System.Collections.Generic.List
    1[Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ShowCommandExtension.ShowCommandCommandInfo]. Type A originates from 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' in the context 'LoadNeither' at location
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC64\mscorlib\v4.04.0.0.0b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll'. Type B originates from 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' in the context 'LoadNeither' at location
    'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC64\mscorlib\v4.04.0.0.0
    b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Show-Command
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Show-Command], InvalidCastException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.InvalidCastException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ShowCommandCommand

Thanks for looking.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. [CTP 3] ISE - Notify, when edited files are changed externally

Votes from Connect: 12

Original Date Submitted: 1/2/2009 2:29:24 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Bernd Kriszio
    Feedback ID: 390290

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: Yes, this happens in all previous versions

Problem Description:
    When you edit a file, that is currently loaded in ISE (Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment), using an external editor or a version control system, you should be asked whether you want to relaod the file or not.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 390290 (http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?SiteID=99&FeedbackID=390290).

Repro Steps:
    1) Load any script into ISE.
    2) Modify…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add a "Comment these lines" action to the right-click context menu of PowerShell ISE

Much like how other IDEs provide similar functionality, an ability to quickly comment/uncomment chunks of code through the context menu would be a valuable addition to future iterations of the already fantastic ISE.

With one line selected by the user a # is fine, with multiple lines selected, a <# #> would be preferred.

I understand there is a...very unusual (quite frankly) keyboard shortcut to accomplish something similar, but I believe there is significant value in having an easy to access method of accomplishing this.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PowerShell ISE Preview - Make the Status Bar extensible

There isn't a lot going on in the Status Bar right now, just Zoom and line / column. It would be great if the rest of the space down there was customizable, perhaps via add-ons. For example:
    * The ability to show how much memory the ISE is currently using as either a number or nifty htop-like bar graph.
    * The ability to customize some text like we can with $host.UI.RawUI.WindowTitle
    * The ability to display a progress bar with custom text
    * The ability to display a particular color if an error is encountered, along with the name of…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. ISE: Dark editor theme is very buggy

I like using a black background with white text, but this is very buggy. Even the built in "Dark Console, Dark Editor" theme is very buggy.

These are some of the issues I run into:

• Mouse-over foldable sections is broken. If you mouse over a folable section, it turns into having a white background and the text is unreadable.

• Sometimes when you mouse over a foldable section, it doesn't "unhighlight" afterwards. You have to mouse over it again to get its state to reset.

• Folding icons are not legible when un-folded. The "-" within the square is dark gray which…
    6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Refresh Session/Console (ability to clean console of variables etc)

Sometimes you need to re-import a module you're building and it can be cumbersome to work around this. This also comes in handy when working through scripts step by step. To be sure it works all the way through I usually have to close and re-open. A native feature to clear the session/console would be amazing! ISE steroids has a feature to do this but it just closes and reopens the ISE which is rough on my slower work PC.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. PowerShell ISE should allow editing of files that are not part of the current call stack

When you are running/debugging a script in PowerShell ISE, the editor locks all files that are open. This is too restrictive. If PowerShell ISE must prevent editing of files while scripts are running, it should only prevent editing those files that are part of the current call stack. Either that or it should have an option to allow users to decide if they want it to lock files or not. It's not like we can't just open the files elsewhere and change them to our hearts content, so this feature is simply unnecessarily limiting as is today.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make ISE look like a Windows 10 app

ISE currently has shiny toolbars, detailed colourful icons, and old-style non-high res (ie, 2 inches wide) launch bitmap that covers other apps while ISE launches.

Modern Windows tools have less distracting bling. Powershell should be consistent with other MS apps like Visual Studio or Word, with a minimal UI so we can focus on the content in the terminal.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. It is not possible to insert <tab> charaters into the middle of a line in the ISE

The <tab> character can only be inserted at the beginning of a line in the ISE, not at any other point in the line.

Steps to repro: Start the ISE, and type some text on a line <tab> characters can be inserted if the cursor is at the beginning of the line but anywhere else in the text the <tab> key does nothing. This can make aligning code troublesome.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Have the Find window to remember the last search string

Have the Find window to remember the last search string

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  3 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support C# Syntax and Other .NET Languages

To start with, PowerShell is really awesome. It is great to see it progress and mature as it has over the years.

One of the issues I (and other .NET developers I know) have had with this great scripting solution is that it is based on .NET, but the way in which you write scripts for it is not based on any language that .NET has known.

That is, it seems as if PowerShell is a .NET technology, and supports only one language. This seems to fly in the face of the spirit of .NET, where its intent/value was to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Presist the state of collapsed regions/functions/etc

I was thinking it would be nice if the state of collapsed regions/functions/etc was persisted somehow so that next time you open the script it remembers the collapsed sections. This would be very useful for large scripts where you are working on a particular functionality over a number of days.

I don't see this for all scripts but maybe just for the same list that is in the most recent scripts in the File menu.

I floated this idea with my PowerShell class today and there were a number of others that expressed benefit from that feature too.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I can search a script but can not search in the output panel.

I can search a script but can not search in the output panel. Search should work in which ever panel I have selected.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Options menu : Have an options for code folding

Have a new item in the Script Pane Behavior section on the
    General settings of the Options menu.

"Code fold on open"

what this means is when you open a script or Module file it will fold all the code in the Script pane so you can view all the functions at a high level and not see any code, and then you could expand a function to view the code in more detail.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base