PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Move ISE add-ons to Powershellgallery

ISE links currently to the ""Add-on Tools Website (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2969.windows-powershell-ise-add-on-tools.aspx).

Automated installation with a PSRepository (like Powershellgallery) would be nice.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. In the ISE console, allow selection of a command and it's output for easy copying

In the ISE console, allow selection of a command and it's output for easy copying

(idea from Jaykul in a Slack conversation)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Invoke-WebRequest doesn't automatically detect and use proxy settings in the PowerShell ISE

I can retrieve the contents of a URL using something like 'iwr http://www.adobe.com' in the command-line PowerShell host.

This takes into account the proxy settings in Control Panel / Internet Options.

If I attempt the exact same thing in the PowerShell ISE, I get:

iwr : The remote name could not be resolved: 'www.adobe.com'

This works only if I add the -Proxy and -ProxyUseDefaultCredentials options.

This was posted to https://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/details/1057090/powershell-ise-doesnt-use-the-system-proxy-settings but nothing happened there.

The thread at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/a6963243-742d-4075-a5ad-cb00863cd73d/powershell-40-ise-doesnt-use-the-system-proxy-settings?forum=ITCG#3f2da920-e47a-4826-a811-89b356ecf8e9 didn’t help.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to rename Untitled tabs

Add the ability to rename Untitled tabs as in sublime text with the Rename Tab package found at https://github.com/frozenice/RenameTab

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make the ISE Toolbar Extensible via $PSISE

Votes from Connect: 13

Original Date Submitted: 1/19/2012 11:46:28 PM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Steve Murawski
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 719357

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: Yes, this happens in previous released versions

Problem Description:
    The ISE toolbar has a lot of unused space and there have been suggestions for other items to be added to the toolbar.

Could you make the toolbar extensible via the $PSISE variable? This would allow add-on authors to offer toolbar buttons for their extensions.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 719357 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=719357).

Repro Steps:
    The…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add-VPNConnection AlwaysOn

Trying to create a script to Add Always On VPN connections for remote users. The available scripts are so convoluted. I could easily do what I need if I could simply add the -AlwaysOn switch to Add-VPNConnection.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Escape Char with Powershell ISE

I am attempting to use the b orr sequence as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/about/aboutspecialcharacters?view=powershell-6
    if I use the example in that page and issue the command write-host “backupbb out” in Powershell (non ISE) you get “back out” as the output as per the example however if you do this in ISE you get “backup out” instead.
    It would appear that ISE cannot handle these two special characters. From what I can tell all the others such as t andn work fine.
    This is verified by DoctorDNS in the following issue post
    PowerShell/PowerShell-Docs#3151
    Thanks
    Robert

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Roaming PowerShell profile using OneDrive

Most IT pros use multiple computers but can't have a consistent PowerShell experience across computers due to different versions of PS Profile. Keeping a single version of the profile updated and synchronized across computers adds management overhead.

Solution:
    - Make the profile roaming using OneDrive. The following post shows how to synchronize the profile using OneDrive, but having this option out of the box would help.

Nice to have:
    - Allow the user to choose default location for the PowerShell profile

Synchronize your PowerShell Profile with OneDrive
    http://wp.me/p2C5zw-19K

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. IntelliSense pane's width should be user-configurable

Even better if it can be specified through $psISE.Options.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please add a way to programmatically collapse 1 region (ONLY ONE!) in a PowerShell script.

Please add a way to programmatically collapse 1 region (ONLY ONE!) in a PowerShell script. I'd like to deliver a script with a region of dependencies collapsed. I can use dot sourcing to save someone from viewing the script from having to scroll through the function dependencies but it would be nice to be able to deliver the script in 1 file.

An example of my use case can be found here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37835140/collapse-or-toggle-1-region-in-the-powershell-ise?sfb=2

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provide a mechanism to translate Comment based help into editable MAML

I have a bunch of functions documented via Comment Based Help. I'd like to be able to automatically turn these into MAML

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Out-GridView fails to display data for properties starting or ending with whitespace characters.

Out-GridView fails to display data for properties starting or ending with whitespace characters.

Problem description:
    I find this problem usually when loading csv files or other data source in powershell and then during working with the data I sometimes get empty columns in Out-GridView. I found that a blank as the first or last character of a property name will make Out-GridView display the column name but the rows data are not being shown.

Steps to reproduce:
    $data = 1..10 | ForEach-Object {

New-Object -TypeName PSCustomObject -Property @{"NormalColumn" = "Normal$_"; " ThisDoesNotDispayData" = "Hidden$_"; "NeitherDoesThis " = "AlsoHidden$_"}

}
    $data…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. PowerShell ISE should highlight commands that will be stopped on with command breakpoints

It is very useful to set a command breakpoint in PowerShell when debugging. When a command breakpoint is set though, ISE does not provide any visual cues that it will stop on a breakpoint for that command. It should parse the AST that it already has and identify any commands that will trigger a command breakpoint, highlighting them with an alternate color or style than traditional breakpoints and only highlighting the commands, not the entire line, so that the breakpoints are visible in the editor, even if they cannot be changed using the editor itself.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. In the ISE console, allow deletion of the output of the previous command

In the ISE console, allow deletion of the output of the previous command, possibly with a key binding like Ctrl+Z.

This is useful when the user is experimenting in the console and would like to keep a clean history for screenshotting or reference purposes.

(idea from sifb, ctrlaltwhiskey, bmwinstead in a Slack conversation)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make PowerShell_ISE More Extensible

Votes from Connect: 10

Original Date Submitted: 3/19/2010 8:20:52 PM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: cmille19
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 543200

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: No, this is new to the most recent version

Problem Description:
    In PowerShellISE it is fairly easy to add functionality via menu items that perform some action against PowerShell file types. However, when editing non-PowerShell files it is more difficult to extend. For instance I created a SQL pack for PowerShellIse which provides an IDE for SQL queries. This works OK, however there are a few things that can't be done like implement…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Keep/Do not reset PowerShell settings on Windows upgrade

Keep fonts, colors, sizes etc on Windows upgrade.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. [BUG] show-command windows ISE Windows 10 vs Win 7/2012

In Windows 10, The show-command pane in the ISE lacks functionality I see in windows 7, server 2012 machines. Specifically the parameter window only shows Text boxes and checkboxes in windows 10. The same cmdlet in windows 7/2012 has drop down fields, combo boxes etc so I can't see enum options in relative parameters. I think a few native cmdlets work but the RSAT toolset is entirely broken from what I can see (KB2693643, release 1607)

Example: new-DfsnRoot in the command pane looks entirely different between windows 7/10. Type is a freeform test pane vs a drop down in 7…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. history

History that works with the ISE. I would like to find this simple bash type history to work beyond the current session and reboots.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. In ISE, the number of replacements should be shown.

The count could be displayed in a message box, and/or in the status bar. The count gives a good feeling about the exactness of the requested operation. For instance, if the count is just a few when you expected a lot, something was misspelled. Right now, it is dead quiet.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)