PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.

Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pure Pain: Preinstalled PS Modules - Please Rationalize Them with Package Management Installs

I am trying to update Pester on Windows 2016 to 4.x because the preshipped Pester 3.4.0 emits a note about the depreciation of the -quiet switch when I use the quiet switch. This get's scooped into stdout when executing via AWS SSM remote commands. Version 3.x complains it does not understand "-Show None".

I want to update to 4.x - in which I ran into all the problems documented here: https://github.com/OneGet/oneget/issues/215

But ended up with "Install-module pester -force -SkipPublisherCheck.

So far so bad, but when I go to remove the 3.4.0 version (with admin rights) from: 'c:\program files\windowspowershell\modules\pester\3.4.0' I get…

4 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The issues you have encountered can be frustrating, sorry that is the case for you.

Moving this to Survey to try to gauge the scope of the problem for users generally.

We are somewhat limited by security requirements: what ships with Windows will always be tagged so that nothing can replace it easily unless it is signed by Microsoft. While Pester is part of Windows, it is not owned or developed by Microsoft, so updates delivered via the Gallery cannot be Microsoft signed.

Once the Gallery version is installed on a system, -SkipPublisherCheck is no longer required for future updates. That first experience, however, is bad.

This leaves us with a dilemma: do we stop shipping Pester in with PowerShell in the future, or do we continue to provide the feature set knowing users who update from the Gallery will encounter these issues?

Looking for feedback from as many users…

• Update-ModuleManifest -ExternalModuleDependencies do not treated correctly a single value

This statement

Update-ModuleManifest -path $ManifestPath -ExternalModuleDependencies 'PSScriptAnalyzer'

Add this lines :
      # External dependent modules of this module
      ExternalModuleDependencies = 'PSScriptAnalyzer'

But in this case publish-Module throw an exception :

PowerShellGet cannot resolve the module dependency 'PSScriptAnalyzer' of the module 'MyModule' on the repository 'MyGetFeed'.
      Verify that the dependent module 'PSScriptAnalyzer' is available in the repository 'MyGetFeed'.
      If this dependent module 'PSScriptAnalyzer' is managed externally, add it to the ExternalModuleDependencies entry in the PSData section of the module manifest.

Possible 'workaround', duplicate the name :

Update-ModuleManifest -path $ManifestPath -ExternalModuleDependencies 'PSScriptAnalyzer','PSScriptAnalyzer'

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Powershell (self) update

It would be very helpful if we could update PowerShell to newest version through PS package manager or OS included script - with all dependencies and prerequisites checks.

7 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

This is definitely something we’re thinking about and working towards. The question becomes whether it’s “good enough” to update all the built-in modules (like MS.PS.Utility or MS.PS.Management) via PowerShellGet or if we need to actually update PowerShell itself.

As we work on PowerShell Core on GitHub (https://github.com/powershell/powershell) we’re beginning to think about how more engine work might be abstracted into individual modules (which, again, could be updated async from the Gallery).

That being said, there also is probably some value in installing PowerShell Core all up via “Install-Package” or “Update-Package”. Given that PS Core is fully side-by-side enabled, you could slap down a new version of PowerShell Core next to the one from which you’re actually running PowerShell Core.

At the same time, updating Windows PowerShell (the Windows-only edition of PowerShell that sits on top of the full, .NET Framework) from within Windows PowerShell is significantly trickier…

• PS for Win/10 - Need download available to repair DSIM or sfc fail

Add Win/10 to install packages:

I was unable to re-install PS from available downloads which only specify Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Need one for Windows 10. PC was previous 8.1 which updated to Win/10. There is also no option in properties to emulate 7 or 8.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Should Save-Script download all modules defined as dependencies or not?

Right now, when you run the Save-Script command you end up with a script and all its module dependencies. In my case, I only wanted a script and got 100+ MB of modules too. :(

It would be better if you introduce the -IncludeModules parameter, and by default only download a script with the Save-Script.

Downloading the modules with the script makes sense for Install-Script, but not so much with Save-Script, in my opinion.

7 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  5 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Publish-Module failes when using Basic Authentication

Hello,

When using Publish-Module with -Credential against an endpoint with basic authentication it fails with error 401.

Regards,

Christos

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • PowerShellGet and redirected MyDocs

When using -Scope CurrentUser with the Install-* cmdlets from PowerShellGet it looks at [Environment]::GetFolderPath("MyDocuments") to determine where to install the modules/scripts/etc.
                If using Folder Redirection for My Documents, this is likely to be a network path which causes some issues such as performance (kills tab completion), as well as some potential issues with binary modules.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Update-ScriptFileInfo does not except parameters to be $null even tho they are not mandatory.

Update-ScriptFileInfo only has a couple of mandatory fields. However when you leave them blank the cmdlet returns errors from the validation.

The variable cannot be validated because the value is not a valid value for the CompanyName variable.
                  The variable cannot be validated because the value is not a valid value for the Copyright variable.
                  The variable cannot be validated because the value $null is not a valid value for the RequiredModules variable.
                  The variable cannot be validated because the value $null is not a valid value for the ExternalModuleDependencies variable.
                  The variable cannot be validated because the value $null…

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Microsoft Downloads Provider for PackageManagement

It might be helpful to have a provider for Microsoft downloads.

For example, Message Analyzer, Azure AD Connect, and a variety of other software is available from Microsoft, but require manual hoops, or custom scripting to install via PowerShell.

Use case: Most automation and management tasks that involve software available from Microsoft downloads...

I do see that this might be tough, given that some of these downloads may be standalone files (executables, docs, etc.), some may be MSIs, etc.

Cheers!

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Publish-Script - Allow the use of RequiredModules [Bug]

currently it is not possible to specify RequiredModules for a script published to a repository.
                      This is awkward as it is quite likely for simple scripts to have a dependency on a module.

The goal would be for the module to be installed automatically during install-Script; using the same logic and conditions as the a REQUIREDSCRIPT
                      1) Interestingly there appears to be (partial) logic to test for RequiredModules, however this always fails as a .Name addtibute of the module cannot be found.
                      and the syntax used in modules :
                      .RequiredModules @{ModuleName = 'foo'; GUID = '1234565-2784-48bf-af15-70ba837a64d0'; ModuleVersion = '3.5'; } …

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  3 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Publish/Save/Install-Module should handle binary dependencies using nuget pattern. Currently it is necessary to bundle binaries (bad!)

Currently the Module cmdlets apply standard nuget logic to referenced modules (download as needed, apply version restrictions, etc.), but not to binaries referenced by a module (and their dependencies).

This leads to module authors needing to package all referenced binaries (and dependency chains) in the module (e.g., on psgallery). This is an anti-pattern. This is why nuget exists. Aside from version control madness, this creates potential legal issues for module authors if they have a 3rd party binaries in their dependency chain. Now they could be "distributing" 3rd party code which is a very different matter from referencing 3rd party…

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • PowerShellGet: Install-Script can`t find directory InstalledScriptInfos when run for the first time

Repro setup

The following path exists:
                          ~\Documents\WindowsPowerShell

Windows 10 Enterprise with the following PSVersionTable:
                          PS C:\> $PSVersionTable

Name Value
                          ---- -----
                          PSVersion 5.0.10586.122
                          PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
                          BuildVersion 10.0.10586.122
                          CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
                          WSManStackVersion 3.0
                          PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
                          SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

PS C:\> [Environment]::GetFolderPath("MyDocuments")
                          C:\Users\JanEgil\Documents

PS C:\> $env:USERPROFILE
                          C:\Users\JanEgil

Repro steps

Run Install-Script -Name Test-RPC -Scope CurrentUser
                          ~\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Scripts\Test-RPC.ps1 is created, but the following error occurs:
                          PS C:\> Install-Script -Name Test-RPC -Scope CurrentUser
                          PackageManagement\Install-Package : Could not find a part of the path ~\Documents\WindowsPow
                          erShell\Scripts\InstalledScriptInfos\Test-RPC_InstalledScriptInfo.xml'.
                          At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerShellGet\1.0.0.1\PSModule.psm1:2693 char:21
                          + ... $null = PackageManagement\Install-Package @PSBoundParameters
                          + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          + CategoryInfo : OpenError: (Microsoft.Power....InstallPackage:InstallPackage) [Install-Packag
                          e],…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Breaking Change: NuGet Provider is missing the -PackageSaveMode parameter

The `Install-Package` cmdlet for the NuGet repository used to expose the `-PackageSaveMode` option which allowed us to specify whether to save the nupkg or just the nuspec, or both.

In recent builds, the parameter is missing, breaking scripts that use it.

The default is the nupkg which takes up a lot of space and isn't too easy to work with, and I'd really prefer to have the nuspec to parse (so I can figure out which files in the package I need).

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Issue with register-packagesource where adding internal source errors on sourcelocation but successfully adds.

Register-PSRepository -InstallationPolicy trusted -PackageManagementProvider Nuget -Sourcelocation
                              https://binrepo.target.com/artifactory/api/nuget/powershell-gallery2 -name PSModule_TGT
                              PackageManagement\Register-PackageSource : The property 'SourceLocation' cannot be found on this object. Verify that
                              the property exists.
                              At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerShellGet\1.0.0.1\PSModule.psm1:3281 char:17
                              + ... $null = PackageManagement\Register-PackageSource @PSBoundParamete ...
                              + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Microsoft.Power...erPackageSource:RegisterPackageSource) [Register-Packag
                              eSource], Exception
                              + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PropertyNotFoundStrict,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.RegisterPackageSou
                              rce

PS C:\Users\vagrant> get-packagesource

Name ProviderName IsTrusted IsRegistered IsValidated Location
                              ---- ------------ --------- ------------ ----------- --------
                              PS_Gallery_TGT PowerShellGet True True False https://binrepo.target.com/ar...
                              PSModule_TGT PowerShellGet True True False https://binrepo.target.com/ar...

23 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Install-PackageProvider doesn't work with proxy authentication

Install-PackageProvider cannot retrieve the list of available providers if the machine doesn't have direct access to the internet.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Install-PackageProvider -Name NuGet -MinimumVersion 2.8.5.201 -Force
                                WARNING: Unable to download the list of available providers. Check your internet connection.
                                Install-PackageProvider : No match was found for the specified search criteria for the provider 'NuGet'. The package
                                provider requires 'PackageManagement' and 'Provider' tags. Please check if the specified package has the tags.
                                At line:1 char:1
                                + Install-PackageProvider -Name NuGet -MinimumVersion 2.8.5.201 -Force
                                + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (Microsoft.Power...PackageProvider:InstallPackageProvider) [Install-Pac
                                kageProvider], Exception
                                + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoMatchFoundForProvider,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.InstallPackagePro
                                vider

How to reproduce:
                                1.…

44 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  14 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • install-package policy execution

To install packages with package manager it's necessary to set the execution policy. It's not said in the API, and I think is not trivial for someone who is learning poershell. In fact if you don't set the policy, you can install packages, there is not error neither feedback about it is not being really installed, and when the process finishes you can see the status as installed whe you do get-package <package-name>. It is very confusing

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• [Bug] Install-Module -Force prompts for user input when NuGet-anycpu.exe is not present

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install WMF5 RTM on a fresh Windows 2012 R2 system
                                    2. Open an Administrator PS prompt and run "Install-Module Pester -Force"

Expected result: The -Force parameter causes the NuGet client to be installed without user intervention.

Actual result: The following message is displayed:

NuGet-anycpu.exe is required to continue.
                                    PowerShellGet requires NuGet-anycpu.exe to interact with NuGet based galleries. NuGet-anycpu.exe must be available in
                                    'C:\Program Files\PackageManagement\ProviderAssemblies' or
                                    'C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\PackageManagement\ProviderAssemblies'. For more information about NuGet provider,
                                    see http://OneGet.org/NuGet.html. Do you want PowerShellGet to download NuGet-anycpu.exe now?
                                    [Y] Yes [N] No [S] Suspend [?] Help (default is "Y"):

The MSDN…

8 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • PowerShellGet module should be open-sourced

I would like to contribute to PowerShellGet module, but there is no place where I could create an issue or send a "pull request" other than uservoice.
                                      Since this module is pure powershell and it is kind of open source anyway, is it possible to post the code on github, so the community can contribute?

13 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• WMF 5 Update

I am trying to install "Win8.1AndW2K12R2-KB3134758-x64.msu" onto a Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise, WMF 4.0 .Net4.5 and latest security patches. from March 2016.

Each time I run the update I get an error saying 'Update is not applicable to this computer'

Any help would be much appreciated.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • new-modulemanifest doesn't support ExternalModuleDependencies

In order to register external module dependencies (dependencies living in another repository), the name has to be registered in a string array property within the PSData Hashtable property in the PrivateData section in the psd1 manifest like so for registering module 'psFtp':

PrivateData = @{
                                          PSData = @{
                                          # ExternalModuleDependencies
                                          ExternalModuleDependencies = @('psFtp')
                                          }
                                          } # End of PrivateData hashtable

However, the new-modulemanifest doesn't have an -ExternalModuleDepencies parameter, nor is it possible to register externalmoduledependencies like so:

-PrivateData @{ PSData = @{ ExternalModuleDependencies = @('psFtp') } }

Which from a client perspective of the the existing new-modulemanifest api, would be…

10 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base