PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. How can i write logs to single file using foreach-object parallel?

Issue
    I am trying to write logs to a single log file using the PSlogging PowerShell module.

The Script is using the Foreach-object parallel.

The script works, But sometimes the script gets stuck in between.

Please help me to resolve it? Is there a better way to achieve this?

Powershell core 7

code

```
    $sScriptVersion = '1.0'

$sScriptVersion = '1.0'
    $sLogName = 'custom.log'
    $sLogPath = "C:\Users\Dixon\Desktop\automation\azure\log"
    $sLogFile = Join-Path -Path $sLogPath -ChildPath $sLogName

Start-Log -LogPath $sLogPath -LogName $sLogName -ScriptVersion $sScriptVersion

$allServers = $(Get-AzVM -Status)

try {

$allServers | ForEach-Object -parallel {

$sScriptVersion = '1.0'
    $sLogName = "parallel-" + $_.Name +".log" …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Transcription logs data which is not visible in the console

discovered on windows 10 (1809) with powershell 5.

Name Value

PSVersion 5.1.17763.1007
    PSEdition Desktop
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion 10.0.17763.1007
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

steps to reproduce from a command prompt:

powershell -noprofile
    start-transcript
    try{get-command -name 'boom' -erroraction 'stop'} catch{}
    stop-transcript
    exit

the command prompt correctly shows no indication of an error, since the error was caught.

the transcript will incorrectly show an indication of an error with a line starting ">> TerminatingError".

this behavior does not exist in powershell 2.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Get-AuthenticodeSignature only returns first Signature

Get-AuthenticodeSignature only returns the 1st digital signature listed. There can be multiple signatures for a file which can be seen via the file properties.

We should either return a list of signatures or introduce a separate List-AuthenticodeSignature which will allow systems to properly inspect all signatures.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Test-NetConnection - Please Add Switch to Skip Ping, Too Slow With Ping

On many networks ICMP traffic is dropped, which makes waiting for an ICMP ping pointless. Please change the default behavior to skip the ping test, and/or add a switch to skip the ping test. Test-NetConnection is too slow when querying more than a couple ports on a host.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. [Bug] Flaw in Cmdlet Where-Object: Unexpected output for option -LT when entering a wrong property name

Hello there, not too sure where to post my findings as this is my first time reporting a Windows bug, so I hope I chose the right category.

I discovered a potential bug in the Cmdlet Where-Object which involves the -LT option and misspelling the selection property. I reproduced the error on a clean VM of Windows 10 (please refer to the images attached), although I initially noticed this bug in Windows Server 2016. Instead of no output due to the wrong spelling of the property "Length", the initial output of the command piped into Where-Object is listed. This might…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. add-appxpackage does not have -user option.

add it so we can add those packages to specific user without logging in to that specific user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Get-Content -Head and -Tail doesn't work well on large files

I want to look a few lines of a large file, but Get-Content with -Head and -Tail option still reports insufficient memory issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Cannot change Temp folder path used fora Exchange Online Power-Shell Module imports

Cannot change Temp folder path used for Exchange Online Power-Shell Module (With MFA) imports. How do we change the path from using the temp folder

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Get-DnsClient and Get-DnsClientServerAddress output format incorrect

I feedback with https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/issues/10987

Get-DnsClient and Get-DnsClientServerAddress output format incorrect.You can see the markdown render of github issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Fix powershell Get-SecureUEFI to support the variable dbt.

Get-SecureBootUEFI used the wrong GUID (EFIGLOBALVARIABLE_GUID) so cause it can not get dbt.

In UEFI spec 2.8, define the EFIIMAGESECURITYDATABASE2(dbt) should use the EFIIMAGESECURITYDATABASE_GUID, so this is the power shell command issue, you can refer to UEFI spec 2.8 - 32.6.1 UEFI Image Variable GUID & Variable Name for detail.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. UpdateServices Module - Request for UpdateReleaseDate

UpdateServices Module, cmdlet Get-WsusUpdate. This cmdlet does not allow filtering by updates' "ReleaseDate". It also does not return value of updates' "ReleaseDate". GUI tool (WSUS mmc) does show "Release Date" column when showing updates, and allows updates sorting by "Release Date". I would ask that UpdateServices Module includes "UpdateReleaseDate" both as input (filtering) value and output value. Thanx.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. PowerShell Basic Statistics Module

It will be fantastic if powershell have a simple or basic module for statistics and data analytics ..... calculating average and min , max is not enough .... please more data analytics functions would make powershell able to meet the new technology expectations

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. DHCP Server Class - ASCII data is missing

The output of the Get-DhcpServerv4Class cmdlet give me the information that I need, except for one AsciiData value. I don't know if that is something computed from the corresponding Data value.

PS C:\temp> Get-DhcpServerv4Class -ComputerName $ComputerName -Type "Vendor" | Where-Object {$_.Description -notlike "Microsoft*"}

Name Type Data AsciiData Description

Cisco Aironet 1200 Vendor 0x436973636f2041502063... Cisco AP c1200 Vendor Class Indentifi...
    airespace Vendor 0x4169726573706163652e... Airespace.AP1200 1010
    Airespace 2700 Vendor 0x436973636f2041502063... Cisco AP c2700 Cisco Aironet 2700 Series
    Mitel IP Phone Options Vendor 0x697070686f6e652e6d69... Mitel-specific options...
    PXEClient (BIOS) Vendor 0x505845436c69656e743a... PXEClient:Arch:00000 PXEClient (BIOS)
    PXEClient (UEFI x64) Vendor 0x505845436c69656e743a... PXEClient:Arch:00007 PXEClient (UEFI x64)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Wrong path delimiters in archive (non-UNC)

The "compress-archive" module stores path delimiters in non UNC format (backslashes instead of slashes) which differs from the builtin zipper in Win10 (Send to Zip-Archive).
    This leads to unrecognized files on decompression by i.e. Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 (decrompression of an imported zipfile "ControlAddIn.Zip")
    If you build the same archive with the Win10-Zipper, the files are recognized correctly.
    Used PS-Version : 5.1 build 18362 rev 145
    Win10-Pro 64bit version: 10.0.18362.267
    Command executed from Visual Studio:
    powershell Compress-Archive -Path ".\ControlAddIn\AddIn*" -CompressionLevel Fastest -DestinationPath "$(SolutionDir)ControlAddIn.zip"
    I cannot append the two Zip-Archives to let you compare these files by yourself therefore I post…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Set-DfsrConnectionSchedule doesn't change a replication partner of a group to use custom settings

Set-DfsrConnectionSchedule doesn't change a replication partner of a group to use custom settings. I've even waited a day and it didn't change it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Cmdlet "New-Mailbox" cannot use -encoding UTF-8

While the UI for ExchangeOnline and Office365 can use UTF-8 when creating new resources, the Powershell cmdlet cannot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. new-azvm BUG

Hey every body,

"New-AzVM" has a strange behaviour (maybe a bug), if you pass vn and subnet as parameters and
    the vn exists but the subnet doesn't, it will try try to delete the vn (cascading) and recreate it. This
    will fail if you have other VMs in the vnet but will succeed if you have empty subnets deleting all of them (OUCH!).

Steps to reproduce:

1. login to portal and create 1 vnet (say vnProd2 ) and 2 subnets (say snProd, snDev)

2. login to Azure from powershell (module AZ)

3. run the following command:
      New-Azvm -Location "northeurope" -ResourceGroupName "rgTest" -virtualnetworkname vnProd2…
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Get-AuthenticodeSignature does not return TimeStamperCertificate

Hello, we've been using command Get-AuthenticodeSignature to validate a signed/time stamped file, and this works as expected in Server 2008 R2 and Server 2016 machines. But targeting the same file from Server 2012 R2 Powershell ISE, returns empty TimeStamperCertificate property. I've confirmed PS1, .NET framework and Authenticode module versions to be latest, and server patches are up to date. It seems that the root issue is within Microsoft.Powershell.Security library.

Thanks

Vlad

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. PowerShell DISM cmdlet GitHub Repository

Does DISM cmdlets have a GitHub repository so I can add and extend WinPE-DismCmdlets-Package?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base