PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add-Printer very slow to return from remote print server queue creation

Add-PrinterPort to a print server returns quickly. Add-Printer using that created port returns slowly (over a minute or two). SNMP turned off for the port. MMC shows print queue has been created successfully with all entered information. Powershell still sits without returning until over a minute later.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Reset-ComputerMachinePassword improvement

Running this command requires domain privileges to reset the computer object password. In cases where the secure channel with a domain controller is already established, a local administrator of a domain computer should have the permission to trigger the password change.

The following command achieves the desired result, albeit not in PowerShell: nltest /scchangepwd:[domain]

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix bug in get-localuser

On a W2016 DC:
    When I execute
    get-localUser -Name *$
    I get 65 Computer accounts

But when I execute

dsquery computer -name * -limit 0
    I get the correct 66 Computer accounts

When I run
    get-localUser -Name MissingComputerAccount$

I Get an Error
    So get-localUser can't handle all accounts

So please fix this

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Convertto-JSON should be able to filter out empty properties of source object (to send to APIs)

REST APIs (e.g. those from Business Central) may require a property of an object to be set when it is included in the JSON message. The API errors out when an unused property is present in the JSON object, even if it is not strictly required for the business logic you are implementing.

When you build objects using PowerShell classes you tend to design the class so that all possible properties are defined in it. But they may not be used in each JSON/API message. Currently you have to filter these properties out before converting to JSON using ConvertTo-JSON. It…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. intellisense for powershell windows

i like to have intellisense, it means on powershell windows not ise

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Possible bug in DNS Module Get-DnsServerResourceRecord properties

when I do:
    > Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -RRType Ptr -ZoneName 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa -ComputerName mydc1
    I get the following properties and corresponding data (output):
    HostName RecordType Timestamp TimeToLive RecordData

14 PTR 4/6/2019 1:00:00 PM 00:20:00 someserver.contoso.com.

but when I pipe to select-object in order to filter only certain properties, I am not getting the output that I expect which should correlate to the above output, for example:
    > Get-DnsServerResourceRecord -RRType Ptr -ZoneName 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa -ComputerName mydc1 | select -Property RecordData
    the output I see is:
    DnsServerResourceRecordPtr

I just want a list of FQDN's..

thank you,
    -Abbas

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add "-ComputerName" parameter to web administration and management cmdlets

Please add the -ComputerName parameter to cmdlets such as Get-Service, Stop-Service, Get-ComputerInfo, Stop-WebAppPool, Start-WebAppPool, Stop-WebAppPool, Start-WebAppPool, Get-WebAppPoolState, etc... Running Invoke-Command with many arguments gets tedious at times and can be inefficient. Ideal, this should be standard in all cmdlets if possible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Get-Acl and Set-Acl with LiteralPath parameter and Registry Provider

Using the LiteralPath parameter for Get-Acl and Set-Acl does not work for registry keys unless your location is set to the root directory of the registry key in question.

Steps to reproduce:

input:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Acl -LiteralPath
    output (error):
    -------------------------------------------------------------------'HKCU:\Environment'
    Get-Acl : Cannot find path 'HKEYCURRENTUSER\Environment' because it does not exist.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-Acl -LiteralPath 'HKCU:\Environment'
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Get-Acl], ItemNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetAcl_PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetAclCommand

input:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-Location -LiteralPath 'HKCU:\Environment'
    PS HKCU:\Environment> Get-Acl -LiteralPath 'HKCU:\Environment'

output (error)

Get-Acl : Cannot find path 'HKEYCURRENTUSER\Environment' because it does not exist.
    At…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. How to import Contacts(CSV File) in to Public Folder - Exchange Online?

Is there a way to import Contacts from CSV file to Public Folders in Exchange online?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. DISM Repair-WindowsImage should allow HTTPS URIs for image sources.

Allow the DISM Repair-WindowsImage command to use HTTPS URIs for image sources. We use a common image to repair the insanely frequent container store corruption issues on our systems. It occurred to me that if somebody with malicious intent was able to alter the WIM files we use to facilitate this process it would lead to easy mass pwnage. Therefore, it makes sense to use an extremely simple, easy-to-lock-down protocol like HTTPS to provide access to these rather huge files rather than a complex protocol like SMB that forces us to expose many other RPC services as well. Yes, this…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. WindowsServerBackup not available on Windows 10 ???

It seems that the WindowsServerBackup powerShell module is not available on Windows 10, although it is written on the Microsoft website, here in particulary: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/? view = win10-ps

Is it a mistake?
    I spent a lot of time trying to install this module, but finaly, I dropped.

What a pity !!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. servercore : can I use it on Windows 10 Home?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/servercore/get-displayresolution?view=win10-ps

I know this says servercore. But I can't believe the ability to set the display resolution via Powershell should be in the realm of Servers only.
    1) Can someone confirm if indeed you can do this on Windows 10? 2) And if so, how do I get the module to import.
    When I have tried
    Import-Module -Name servercore
    I get the following:
    PS Env:> Import-Module -Name servercore
    Import-Module : The specified module 'servercore' was not loaded because no valid module file was
    found in any module directory.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Get-ADUser not caching results when querying a remote forest

Potential bug in the Get-ADUser commandlet when querying a remote forest:

$myForest | Get-ADUser -filter *
    $myForest[0] # <-- this doesn't reach back to a DC to return the user

$remoteForest | Get-ADUser -filter * -server dc1.remoteforest.com
    $remoteForest[0] # <-- this will call back to a DC to fetch the user even though it's been successfully retrieved in the previous line

See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54790231/get-aduser-not-caching-results for a better explanation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Database SetOffline - Add a TeminationClause overload

When setting a database offline, the T-SQL command executed is a simple ALTER DATABASE <DbName> SET OFFLINE, and will wait if there are running transactions or connected users. To force that, it requires the possibility to add the ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE. The Alter() method allows to do that but not the SetOffline() method

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Database SetOffline - Add a TeminationClause overload

When setting a database offline, the T-SQL command executed is a simple ALTER DATABASE <DbName> SET OFFLINE, and will wait if there are running transactions or connected users. To force that, it requires the possibility to add the ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE. The Alter() method allows to do that but not the SetOffline() method

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. BUG: Set-AdfsGlobalAuthenticationPolicy

Modifying Device Authentication causes multiple AzureMFAAuthentication providers to be added to additional auth providers.

MS Case 119012219579532.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. BUG: Get-Help <word> doesn't search content of about_* files unless -Category HelpFiles parameter is specified

The help text for the -Name parameter of Get-Help says:
    "...If you enter a word that does not match any help topic titles, Get-Help displays a list of topics that include that word in their contents."

Example:
    PS> Get-Help exit

Only returned two cmdlets that have the word 'exit' in their name.

PS> Get-Help exit -Category HelpFile

Returns about_* topics where the word 'exit' is found.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. [Bug]: using module that import a script that import classes have unexpected behavior within a class

ClassA.psm1

class ClassA
    {

[string]Execute()

{
    return &quot;this is from ClassA&quot;
    }

}

ClassB.psm1

class ClassB
    {

[string]Execute()

{
    return &quot;this is from ClassB&quot;
    }

}

ImportClasses.ps1

using module 'D:\Exemple\Atelier\ClassImportProblem\ClassA.psm1'
    using module 'D:\Exemple\Atelier\ClassImportProblem\ClassB.psm1'

process_Classes.ps1

using module 'D:\Exemple\Atelier\ClassImportProblem\ImportClasses.ps1'

$a = [ClassA]::new()
    $b = [ClassB]::new()

class HustonweHaveAProblem
    {

[void]HereWeGo(){

$a = [ClassA]::new()
    $b = [ClassB]::new()
    }

}

Observation:

From that point, instances of ClassA and ClassB are working fine in the process_Classes script. But instances of ClassA and ClassB within the class HustonWeHaveAProblem{} throw errors.

Actual result:

At D:\Exemple\Atelier\ClassImportProblem\process_Classes.ps1:9 char:15
    + $a = [ClassA]::new()
    + ~~~~~~
    Unable to find type [ClassA].

At…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Get-DnsServerZone does not cater for secondary zones that allow zone transfers

If you have a secondary zone which in turn is configured to allow a zone transfer to another DNS server hosting the zone as a secondary, the Get-DnsServerZone cmdlet does not display that information.

Run: Get-DnsServerZone -Name zone.name | where-object {$_.zonetype -eq "secondary"} | select-object ZoneName, SecondaryServers
    Result: Display zone name and secondary servers.
    Actual Result: Displays just the zone name, no secondary servers are displayed even though they are setup.

The data is however available via WMI.

Get-WmiObject -Namespace root/microsoftdns -Class microsoftdnszone | where-object {$.containername -eq "zone.name"} | select-object containername, secondaryservers

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. List which module contains which CmdLets.

I am trying to figure out which module contains Get-PcsvDevice. I am running PS 5.1 on Server2012 R2.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base