PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.

Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide means to qualify Script names to avoid conflicts

Hello!

The PowerShell Gallery currently qualifies 'Scripts' by name only. For example, if someone has already published Some-Script, I have no way to publish my own Some-Script, even if the original is related only in name, has major functional differences, etc.

It would be helpful to allow qualifying these. Perhaps resolve by date published first (i.e. compatible with current system), while allowing qualification by username, similar to how GitHub handles this.

Thus, I could install RamblingCookieMonster\Some-Script, even if EvilDoer\Some-Script already existed.

The same design could also be extended to modules, although those seem less likely to conflict (this may change…

16 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

survey  ·  4 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Curated Module Lists

The PowerShell gallery should allow users to create "lists" of modules (think of it as an Amazon wish list).

A user could create a "favorites" list and add modules and scripts to it to keep track of their favorites over time (maybe even "subscribe" to notifications of new releases of things on the list).

A user could also create a "user management modules" list or a "stretching PowerShell's limits" list or a "should have been in the box" list, or a "things I use in my prompt" list ...

But most importantly, users should be able to SHARE those lists,…

13 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Badges for PowerShell Gallery counts to be used on a GitHub page

GitHub and npm have badges that can be placed on your repo or elsewhere that can display stats about aspects of your project.

It'd be great to be able to put a badge on a repo showing stats about the published item to PowerShell Gallery, like, number of downloads.

10 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow Register-PSRepository to persist credentials

NuGet feeds allow security around both listing/retrieving packages as well as pushing packages. NuGet.exe and other clients further allow you to persist credentials for listing/retrieving packages using the "nuget sources" command. (https://docs.nuget.org/consume/command-line-reference#sources-command)

This persistence is important for two reasons:

1) When you push a package to a secured NuGet feed, NuGet clients generally do a list/read operation first. That list/read operation doesn't contain any API key that you pass along in the push operation. In order for a push to succeed with an API key, you also need to have credentials set for the read operation. You can…

10 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Provide docs / Docker image for hosting custom PowerShellGallery

It would be nice to understand options on hosting custom, private PowerShellGallery with modules intended to be private.

There might be a guide on setting up a custom NuGet gallery or a Docker image so that we would be able to spin up a new one really fast.

A Docker image is a preferable one.

8 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow Description in Markdown format

It could be useful to have Markdown formatting in manifest file to provide rich description on PowershellGallery

7 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Specific ask for the voters: If you are willing, please add a note what your expectations are, and how you would see this providing extra value in the Gallery when we display this content.

This type of feature is something we are generally a little bit cautious about.
                Rendering active MD content can include links & other items that result in some amount of risk for users of a site.

• Allow for publishing Profile Paths with Spaces

when using publish module if a user has a space in their profile it fails to publish the module:
                PS C:\> Publish-Module -Tags Twitter -Name Posh-Tweet -NuGetApiKey xxxxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx -Verbose
                VERBOSE: The specified assembly 'C:\Users\Carlos Perez\AppData\Local\PackageManagement\ProviderAssemblies\nuget-anycpu.exe' is installed at top level directory. However it is recommended that the assemblies should be installed under its ProviderName\Version folder.
                VERBOSE: Skipping previously processed provider 'NuGet'.
                VERBOSE: Repository details, Name = 'PSGallery', Location = 'https://www.powershellgallery.com/api/v2/'; IsTrusted = 'False'; IsRegistered = 'True'.
                VERBOSE: Repository details, Name = 'PSGallery', Location = 'https://www.powershellgallery.com/api/v2/'; IsTrusted = 'False'; IsRegistered = 'True'.
                VERBOSE: Publish Location:'https://www.powershellgallery.com/api/v2/package/'. …

6 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  6 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Register-PSRepository needs a -Force parameter and/or GroupPolicy Administrative Template

I have created an internal NuGet Gallery to act as a module repository for internal modules and am trying to automate the registration of it as a trusted internal repository for all users in my organisation that use Windows Powershell and/or perhaps are starting to use DSC.

As all of the users in my organisation who use Powershell are in an AD group, I went looking for a Group Policy setting to register the internal repsitory. There isn't one, so I created a GPO and set it to run the following script, in the user context at login.

#Requires -version…

6 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  3 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Make PowerShell Gallery module files and scripts searchable

Now that you can view file contents in the Gallery website, it would be very useful if you would expand the search feature such that it searches the contents of scripts and files inside of modules. This would allow users to search for a specific command or a .NET class or method, which will help discover Gallery items that exist that solve a particular problem someone is trying to solve. It will also help authors discover when something they might want to create has already been created without having to guess module names or script names. The results should show…

6 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Set the PowerShell Gallery up for Twitter Cards

When posting a link to a GitHub repo on Twitter, the URL is generally replaced with a Twitter summary card. This is not the case, currently, when posting links to items on the Gallery. The display of cards makes these links stand out more and (should) help with social sharing of PowerShell content.

5 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• add DSC Configuration to Powershell Gallery

Add a category for DSC Configurations in the PowerShell gallery just like scripts can be posted to the gallery

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Need to ask some questions:
                          > Is the ask to be able to search for a DSC configuration, or modules that contain them?
                          > Is there a reason why including the configuration in a module would not work? The general feedback from gallery users is that they strongly prefer modules (which contain docs & tests, maybe examples) over scripts.

• An embed link for PowerShellGallery Scripts... think gist

Wouldn't it be great to be able to see and embed PSGallery scripts on websites? This would make sharing code snippets and examples easier I think

4 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Tom – I am not sure what you are recommending. PowerShell code is simply text.

Can you give an example to look at (other than gist generally), perhaps a URL to something we can compare against?

Thanks -
                            Keith

• Simply copying code from PowerShell Gallery - Copy to Clipboard button

Currently to copy code from the PowerShell all text has to be manually selected using the mouse and then copied. In order to simplify this a button to either copy or select all the code on the current page would improve the user experience.

4 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Show Module size in properties on PowerShellGallery.com

I would like to know how big a module is before downloading it.

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve UX for module / script listing status

Right now, the UX for enabling / disabling the listing status for PowerShell modules and scripts is a bit challenging, if you have many versions. Could we improve upon this somehow, to enable batch enable / disable of module / script versions?

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add an option to view the files in RAW mode

Currently we can view the files in html mode, perhaps functionality could be added to support view in raw mode comparable GitHub.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is something we considered, but have discarded at this time.
                                    The difficulty is that with some code types, rendering them into an HTML page poses security risks.
                                    The question we have is: Why is saving the code locally is not working for you?

• PowerShell Gallery should have an optional Donate link for each item

Suggestion: Scripts, modules and DSC resources in the PSGallery should have an optional "Donate" link that would make it easy to donate to the author or to the author's favorite charity, such as with a www.paypal.me quick link or with a link to the donation web page of a charity.

Many items in the PSGallery are posted by companies that have a vested interest in maintaining their code long term; for example, think of Microsoft's items for Azure or DSC. We don't have to worry as much about their code quality over time because these companies pay their employees (hopefully)…

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add a favicon to the gallery

The poor PS gallery tab and bookmark look so sad and grey... :,-(

https://imgur.com/GwfMpzd

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  1 comment  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Error while save/install Azure.Storage module

Error while save/install Azure.Storage module, tried it couple of times, so i am sure it is not internet problem.

PS> Install-Module Azure.Storage
                                        WARNING: Package 'Azure.Storage' failed to download ....

also tried for specific version, but same error.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We are currently unable to reproduce the problem.
                                          If you encounter it again, please run the command with -verbose, and check to see what the error information is. We will also need to see the results of the following commands:
                                          get-packageprovider -listavailable
                                          get-module powershellget -listavailable

Thank you for your help

• PowershellGallery - Preview module cmdlet examples

Hello,

Many PowershellGallery modules's description is just one line that make us difficult to chose among the similar modules.

For example, I searched the keyword log, and I got many write-log modules.

I need to download each one of them to test the differences.

It would be better to preview the cmdlets' examples directly on the web site or provided by find-module.

And if possible, it would be even better to be able to upload some GIF photos to the web site to show the cmdlets' power dynamically just like vscode extensions.

Thx.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base