PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Get-ADGroupMember: An operations error occurred" with cross-forest members

Any group that contains a user account that is cross-forest to the group object is hitting the non-descriptive error in the title when running Get-ADGroupMember. I can successfully run the command with on groups where all members are in the same forest as the group object.

The current workaround is to use Get-ADGroup and expand the Members property and then make a subsequent Get-ADObject call for each member. This takes about 5x longer to run.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. add tcpdump equivalent cmdlet in powershell

I hope powershell have a cool module about the network tool ,make them work like tcpdump , netcat in linux.

It's very very cool things , will make me fly in our daily task.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please enable port forwarding within PowerShell

The very cool features on linux is about the port forwarding when we ssh to a remote server.
    I hope PowserShell come with these cool things.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  WinRM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ISE should not switch focus automatically to the console pane

Starting from Windows 10 1803, when you run a selected block of code using F8, ISE switches focus to the console pane. This means that when you run several of these, you have to manually switch the focus back to the script pane after each execution.

This is much more difficult than before, so please fix this.

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Jupyter notebook kernel

A Microsoft generated and supported kernel for the Jupyter Notebook/Lab users. There is one a fellow did up and it covers the basics but doesn't have auto-completion in the IDE, errors on some things, doesn't get updated much, etc.

I use Jupyter to teach and getting a full on Microsoft supported kernel would be great.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Serious MASSIVE BUG: Mount-DiskImage not scriptable

Hi

Mounting a ISO image is happening via Mount-DiskImage -ImagePath C:\ISO\isofile.iso -PassThru. This is working.

BUT: the -ImagePath parameter doesn´t accept any(!) variables. This makes it absolute and total unusable in a script because usually the Path to a iso isn´t always static.

If I have an static Path i can use the explorer. Its faster and easier.
    Dissapointing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bug: Powershell Get-Help does not work with Exchange Online cmdlets

We've been lucky, from what I'm gathering from web searches! Until December last year, Exchange Online Powershell cmdlet help was available using Get-Help in the shell. However, after the Christmas break, the only response we get is:

Get-Help : Exception calling "Invoke" with "0" argument(s): "Cannot find path '' because it does
    not exist."
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-Help Get-Mailbox
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Help], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CmdletInvocationException

It's the same issue irrespective of the cmdlet.

Consequently, I'm forced to contend with painful searches of the documentation website for information of the relevant cmdlets.

Raised…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add-MpPreference is failing for "Provider load failure"

On some of our servers, when using cmdlet "Add-MpPreference", we got error of "Provider load failure", after some investigation, we found following issues for WMI to create files? Did anyone experience similar issues before?

wmiprvse.exe 7488 CreateFile C:\Windows\System32\wbem\NCObjAPI.DLL NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
    wmiprvse.exe 7488 CreateFile C:\Windows\System32\wbem\wbemcomn.dll NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
    wmiprvse.exe 7488 CreateFile C:\Windows\System32\wbem\wbemcomn.dll NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WMI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. "Using module" statement does not reload module after changes are made

Problem Description
    ------------------
    If you are using the `using module` statement, it will load the module without any issues. However, if you make a change to the module and run the `using module` statement again without restarting your PowerShell session, it will not load the new modified module into memory, and instead will continue to use the old existing module that was loaded. This makes doing development with `using module` statements very tedious as you must continually reload your PowerShell session whenever you make changes to the module.

Ideally we would just use `Import-Module -Name [module name] -Force` to avoid…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Pressing spacebar while holding shift should still insert a space

Pressing spacebar while holding shift should still insert a space.

When I am typing into the PowerShell prompt, if I happen to be holding down the shift key when I hit the spacebar, nothing happens. I would like for a space to be inserted when I hit the spacebar, regardless of whether I am holding the shift key or not. (The classic Command Prompt does this correctly.)

For reference, I'm using Win10 1809 and:

PS C:\> $PSVersionTable

Name Value
    ---- -----
    PSVersion 5.1.17763.316
    PSEdition Desktop
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion 10.0.17763.316
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Import-json

json is becoming the new standard (if not already)
    It would be nice to have an import-json and a export-json as we have in xml/csv instead of the two steps process with get-content and convertfrom-json and convertto-json.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. ConvertFrom-String

Make ConvertFrom-String available in PowerShell core as it's super useful when parsing txt files.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Clear-Disk is failing without error.

Clear-Disk is not un-initialising a disk, I go to run the initialize-disk command immediately after and get the error that the disk is already initialized. How do I solve this?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow use of curly braces for special cases

Such as git stash apply stash@{2} instead of need for inside quotes "" "stash@{2}"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. While passing a json stream to a out file PS fails while cmd succeeds. Ending '}' bracket is missing.

# Steps to reproduce
    1. I use a tool called rabtap to publish messages to rabbitMQ. Tool can be found here: https://github.com/jandelgado/rabtap
    2. When I tap on an exchange and redirect output to a file.
    -> It comes OK when I use this cmd on cmd prompt (i.e., as here): rabtap tap "myexchange:" --json > c:\tmp\usingCMDline.txt"
    -> However if I redirect the output using powershell, I miss out the ending bracekt in the output file. rabtap tap "myexchange:" --json | Out-File "c:\tmp\ps02.txt" (see attached output)
    # Expected behavior
    Full JSON should output, as done by the cmd line redirect operator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Brackets Treated As Special Characters In Single Quotes

# Steps to reproduce

In File Explorer on an NTFS volume, create the file: [abc].txt

Following this run:

PS> ls '[abc].txt'

# Expected behavior

Directory: C:\Users\Dave

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
    ---- ------------- ------ ----
    -a---- 2019-05-06 12:07 AM 0 [abc].txt

# Actual behavior

No output displayed.

# Environment data

Name Value
    ---- -----
    PSVersion 5.1.17763.316
    PSEdition Desktop
    BuildVersion 10.0.17763.316
    WSManStackVersion 3.0

# Additional Cases and Information

The file name can be displayed using tab completion, but the brackets are preceded by back ticks, which indicates that Windows can see…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Get-ChildItem -LiteralPath doesn't support long path

Get-ChildItem -LiteralPath doesn't support long path, for example:

Get-ChildItem -LiteralPath 'D:\aaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbccccccccccddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeffffffffffgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiijjjjjjjjjjkkkkkkkkkkllllllllllmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooppppppppppqqqqqqqqqqrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssttttttttttuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvvvvvwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyyzzzzzzzzzz.txt'

Which path is longer than 260 bytes, even if the file DO exists in that path.

But `Get-ChildItem` WITHOUT `-LiteralPath` works well with that long-path file.

$PSVersionTable

Name Value
    ---- -----
    PSVersion 5.1.17763.134
    PSEdition Desktop
    BuildVersion 10.0.17763.134
    WSManStackVersion 3.0

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. RequiredModules statement in Module Manifests should allow for Verbose:$false to be included

Currently module imports initiated via the RequiredModules statement in a Module Manifest do not allow for verbosity preference.

This results in a lot of additional noise for end users.
    For example. If a DSC Resource module requires other modules, and imports them via RequiredModules in the Module Manifest then the following happens:

If an end-user is attempting to troubleshoot their DSC configuration they will utilize

Start-DscConfiguration -UseExisting -Verbose -Force

The results will be a verbose line for every cmdlet imported/exported from every included module. Which is A LOT of noise surrounding the verbose messages actually relevant to the end user.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Set-DfsrConnectionSchedule doesn't change a replication partner of a group to use custom settings

Set-DfsrConnectionSchedule doesn't change a replication partner of a group to use custom settings. I've even waited a day and it didn't change it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Windows Insider Build 18945 - Windows PowerShell is looking in One Drive for the PowerShell Profile

I don't know why Windows PowerShell is looking for the PowerShell Profile.ps1 file in the Users OneDrive folder.

This is not normal behavior!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 80 81
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base