PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. verify yeah all that stuff

2 years I cramed tech school im locksmith security is security

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. AzureAD - Cannot properly read System.Byte[] value even when loading the module using "-UseWindowsPowerShell".

AzureAD - Cannot properly read System.Byte[] value even when loading the module using "-UseWindowsPowerShell".

Whenever I troubleshoot Conditional Access issues, I use to retrieve the certificate hash of AzureADDevice. Long story short, I retrieve "AlternativeSecurityIds.Key" property of AzureADDevice.

Get-AzureADDevice -SearchString XXXX| fl displayname,deviceid,objectid,@{n='DevCerHash';e={ [System.Text.Encoding]::Unicode.GetString($_.AlternativeSecurityIds.key).substring(21,40) }}

I know that PS7 isn't compatible with AzureAD module, and for this reason I use "-UseWindowsPowerShell" flag to load the module. Unfortunately, in PS5 the byte array is properly read, while in PS7 (-UseWindowsPowerShell) an object of wrong type is returned.

Get-AzureADDevice -SearchString XXXX| select AlternativeSecurityIds |gm

The above command returns "TypeName: Selected.Microsoft.Open.AzureAD.Model.Device" in PS5…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Explorer 'Pinned Items' on the taskbar opening in PowerShell 7 rather than explorer

I have pinned folders to my task bar under Explorer.exe. Since installing PowerShell 7 these links open in PowerShell rather than explorer.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. i need powershell to support the sed command

i need powershell to support the sed command

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. How do I create an Azure Automation schedule with PowerShell using the Az Cmdlet New-AzAutomationSchedule?

When I attempt to run the Cmdlet below with the following parameters, it fails:

$AutomationAccountName = "CZEU1-INF-NP-0faa84be-AAA-01"

$ResourceGroupName = "czeu2-app-np-rgp-01"

$vmStartTime = (Get-Date "08:00:00").AddDays(1)

$vmStopTime = (Get-Date "18:00:00")

$timeZone = [TimeZoneInfo]::Local.DisplayName

$vmStartupScheduleName = "Startup VMs 08:00 Daily Weekdays:

$timeZone"

$vmShutdownScheduleName = "Shutdown VMs 18:00 Daily

Weekdays: $timeZone"

[System.DayOfWeek[]]$WeekDays = @([System.DayOfWeek]::Monday..[System.DayOfWeek]::Friday)

New-AzAutomationSchedule -AutomationAccountName $AutomationAccountName -Name $vmStartupScheduleName -StartTime $vmStartTime -WeekInterval 1 -DaysOfWeek $WeekDays -ResourceGroupName $ResourceGroupName -Verbose

The error is: New-AzAutomationSchedule : Exception of type 'Microsoft.Azure.Management.Automation.Models.ErrorResponseException' was thrown. At line:1 char:1 + New-AutomationSchedule -AutomationAccountName $AutomationAccountNam... + CategoryInfo : CloseError: (:) [New-AzAutomationSchedule], ErrorResponseException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.Automation.Cmdlet.NewAzureAutomationShedule

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. set-volume whatif

Set-Volume along with a number of other commands in the storage module offer, but do not honor, the -WhatIf switch parameter.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. SetSpn misspelling

Under the help section of setspn; Specified is incorrectly spelled.

"-T = perform query on the speicified domain or forest (when
    Usage: setspn -T domain (switches and other parameters)"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Provide feedback during typing of password

I just typed my password into a chatroom because although it looked like the PowerShell window had focus, I was entering a password where there is zero feedback. If I had seen a placeholder appear per character like text boxes on websites, I would have been able to tell that the text I was typing was not going to the right window.

When typing into a password field, I would like to see feedback with something like ******, each * representing a character I typed.

This is something you can enable with other shells like in this article about Linux,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Active Directory

CrazyMarioBros

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. List the DSCRs\Modules with versions used when compiling a MOF

Allow access to the list of DSCRs\Modules with versions used in a configuration when compiling it.

This list can then be used in the CI\CD pipeline to ensure the correct versions of modules containing DSCRs are transferred to a share or a pull server repository before the MOF is applied to a target computer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. JEA Endpoint defined via DSC causes WinRM service hanging in state 'stopping'

JEA Endpoint defined via DSC causes WinRM service hanging in state 'stopping'

This issue is still present after first reported 3 years ago

https://github.com/PowerShell/JEA/issues/30

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  WinRM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Not an idea, but a question

I need to gather info for our auditors. I need a list of ALL Active Directory users with certain properties, but those requiring a false or true output are the ones that came out wrong for me. Objects like samaccountname came out just fine, but filters like isPreauthNotRequired gave me a weird and long output: Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADPropertyValueCollection

Here is my command:
    Get-ADUser -Filter * -Properties * | Select-Object samaccountname, isPreAuthNotRequired, isActive, isPwdEncryptedTextAllowed, displayname, isPwdNotRequired, userprincipalname, isDisabled, isExpired, distinguishedname | export-csv -path c:\export\allusers.csv

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Move PowerShell directory out of the Documents folder on Windows

Being on the Documents folder, PowerShell directory is automatically synced. This uses space from my OneDrive folder, on personal machines, and causes sync to fail, on business machine, because OneDrive Business is scanned and company policy denies executables in there. PowerShell files are not documents and shouldnt be there to start with.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Powershell command to show which versions of SSL/TLS enabled and disabled

Since server 2016 has tls 1.0 -1.2 enabled by default but no corresponding registry keys, admins always feel a little in the dark about whether they are truyl enabled or not, and have to go look it up. It would be great to have a powershell command that showed which versions of TLS or SSL are enabled/disabled, instead of having to use sketchy 3rd party solutions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. PowerShell should produce a CSV file that Excel can import.

Find-Module -Repository PSGallery |

Export-Csv -Path .\psgallery-modules.csv -Delimiter ',' -NoTypeInformation

Microsoft Excel cannot import the result successfully. In particular, cells which contain multiple lines become new rows in the spreadsheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add support for -Contains and -iContains in Where-Object

When using Where-Object, it would be convenient if we could simply use the -Contains or -iContains to see if a property contains a value.
    For example:

Get-Process | Where-Object ProcessName -iContains "phone"

where the 'i' prefix indicates case insensitivity.

The current method to do the same thing is more verbose:

Get-Process | Where-Object {$_.ProcessName -ilike "phone"}

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Get-Content with cast to [xml] doesn't properly detect encoding of input file

Get-Content with cast to [xml] doesn't properly detect encoding of input file

[xml]$xml = Get-Content $sample

where sample is an UTF-8 file and $xml is in CP-1251

The expectation is to have encoding detected automatically like it happend in XmlDocument.Load method
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.xml.xmldocument.load?view=netframework-4.8

Please check attached script with the example of the bug.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Get-Content with cast to [xml] doesn't properly detect encoding of input file

Get-Content with cast to [xml] doesn't properly detect encoding of input file

[xml]$xml = Get-Content $sample

where sample is an UTF-8 file and $xml is in CP-1251

The expectation is to have encoding detected automatically like it happend in XmlDocument.Load method
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.xml.xmldocument.load?view=netframework-4.8

Please check attached script with the example of the bug.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 87 88
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base