PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Help about* doesn't return about_ topics

I'm unable to find almost all about topics (ie. aboutarrays) in Powershell 5.0 in both Windows 10 x64 Professional EN-US and PL-PL.
    The only topic I can find by typeing: help about* is aboutCimSession.

I've already tried to run:
    update-help -force
    and
    update-help -UICulture en-us
    and
    update-help -UICulture en-us -force

Unfortunately, this doesn't resolve the problem.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

We had a bunch of issues with about_ topics in help, but by my testing they should all be resolved now.
    Please open an adminstrative PS prompt and run
    update-help -force
    and let me know if this does NOT fix the issue.

2. Get-Help -Online in 5.0 opens core cmdlet help for 4.0

For the core modules in PowerShell 5.0, Get-Help -Online opens the help for PowerShell 4.0, not for PowerShell 5.0. Typically, -online gets help for the latest version of the module by default.

For example: Get-Help Import-Module -Online
    ...opens "https://technet.microsoft.com/library/af616c24-e122-4098-930e-1e3ea2080ade(v=wps.630).aspx", the 4.0 version of help.

That's because the first related link in the XML help topic has the FWLink for the 4.0 topic.

I suspect this is a bug caused by an incomplete understanding of how -Online works. The tool (or person?) that was supposed to update the links for 5.0 didn't know how it worked and updated only…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provider help is missing from PowerShell 5.1

The ProviderHelp section of the System.Management.Automation.dll-help.xml file is missing from PowerShell 5.1 and later versions of PowerShell 5.0., including 5.0.10586.494.

As a result, users can't get help for the core providers (except for the certificate provider, which is in the security file), and help is missing for all of the dynamic parameters that the providers add to the cmdlets.

Also, the Security help file has the provider help section, so Get-Help Certificate works, but even though it has the CmdletHelpPaths section, it is not working (not sure why), so there is no help for the dynamic parameters that the Certificate…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

Fixed and validated on 5.1 / Win10. Thanks for the report, please let me know if any issues remain.

4. Automatically register PSGallery with WMF 5.0

After installing WMF 5 on Windows 7, the default PSGallery repository is not registered by default. This should just be there so I can get started much quicker.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Install-PackageProvider -Name NuGet not working

Upgraded from WMF 4.0 to WMF 5.0 on Windows 7 SP1 x64 with .NET 4.6.1 and can't get NuGet/OneGet etc. to work at all. Already tried uninstall of WMF 5.0 and reinstall to no avail.

PS T:> Install-PackageProvider -Name NuGet -ForceBootstrap
    Install-PackageProvider : Unable to find repository with SourceLocation ''. Please use Get-PSRepository to see all
    available repositories.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-PackageProvider -Name NuGet -ForceBootstrap
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (Microsoft.Power...PackageProvider:InstallPackageProvider) [Install-Pac

kageProvider], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RegisterPackageSourceRequired,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.InstallPack

ageProvider

PS T:> Get-PSRepository
    PackageManagement\Get-PackageSource : Unable to find module providers (PowerShellGet).
    At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerShellGet\1.0.0.1\PSModule.psm1:3544 char:31
    + ... ckageSources =…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. The PowerShell Gallery should have a rating system similar to TechNet script gallery

A rating system should be leveraged to allow users to speak to the quality /usefulness of a given script. The PS Gallery allows you to sort by download count, but this is only an indication of popularity. It's certainly feasible that there are highly downloaded scripts that are unusable. Users should be able to pivot off of script rating and download count.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have implemented this by adding the ability to do “likes” for items in Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, and by adding the ability for individuals to make comments on an item.
    These two features can be used to indicate the items that are good, and to raise specific concerns for items, while avoiding the issue with “votes” where anonymous negative votes were used inappropriately.

7. Find-Module doesn't work in ISE (or ISE Preview)

This should speak for itself:

PS > Get-PackageSource

Name ProviderName IsTrusted IsRegistered IsValidated Location

PSGallery PowerShellGet False True False https://www.powershellgallery.com/api/v2

PS > find-module ise -Verbose
    VERBOSE: Using the provider 'PowerShellGet' for searching packages.
    VERBOSE: The -Repository parameter was not specified. PowerShellGet will use all of the registered repositories.
    VERBOSE: Getting the provider object for the PackageManagement Provider 'NuGet'.
    VERBOSE: The specified Location is 'https://www.powershellgallery.com/api/v2' and PackageManagementProvider is 'NuGet'.
    VERBOSE: No module found matching 'ise' .

Find-Module works fine in the console host.

Spying with Wireshark reveals that while the console host connects to https://www.powershellgallery.com as part…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. get-psdrive & abnormal I/O

Hello,

Since WMF 5.0, I encountered abnormal disk latency, when running DSC.
    Process Monitor showed that WMI host process was doing a lot of WriteFile operation to the folder: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\PowerShell\CommandAnalysis\PowerShellAnalysisCacheEntry*
    the amount of operation is increasing over time (up to 200.000 write operations in my case) each time dsc configuration is being executed…
    All those operations are triggered when calling get-psdrive which is calling the module manifest Microsoft.Powershell.Security.psd1

I could reproduce it on a new VM with only WMF 5.0 installed, LCM configured in push mode using the default settings and a single test resource in the configuration…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PowerShell Core for linux

PowerShell Core will run in Windows Sever 2016 core that contains only the .net core.

Now that .net core is available for linux.. would nice to create and run powershell script on linux! Not asking to port all Microsoft cmdlets just basic one that allow to script things in linux like invoke-restmethod, etc

339 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. BUG: have followed all instruction to load my custom module yet can only load by path

I have the execution policy set Unrestricted, I've added the folder to the modules path, I have a module in the folder with the same name as the folder, yet I can only load the modules by file path. Any idea why? I need modules to load other modules, I'd like my own folder, and I'd like to not have to keep calling scripts in the same folder.

PS C:\Users\russell.GOISC> $env:PSModulePath
    [...];C:\Projects\OI2\SiteMaintenanceScripts\PowerShellModules

PS C:\Users\russell.GOISC> Get-ExecutionPolicy
    Unrestricted

PS C:\Users\russell.GOISC> Import-Module EZTNameExtensions -Verbose
    Import-Module : The specified module 'EZTNameExtensions' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any module…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. New-ScriptFileInfo adds all the fields to the scriptfile not just the one you supplied.

New-ScriptFileInfo add all the fields to the scriptfile and not just the ones you supply. Seems like a lot of "clutter" for information you don't need to specify.

Can be reproduced by running the msdn example.

New-ScriptFileInfo -Path "\temp\Temp-Scriptfile.ps1" -Version 1.0 -Author "pattif@contoso.com" -Description "My test script file description goes here"

Get-Content -Path "\temp\Temp-Scriptfile.ps1"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback, but in this case the cmdlet is doing what we expect.

The goal of New-ScriptFileInfo is to provide developers with the list of metadata items supply that provides value when publishing a script via the PowerShell Gallery, and interacting with it via the PowerShellGet cmdlets. This is consistent with the behavior for New-ModuleManifest.

You may want to save your own subset of the metadata values, and insert it on your own into files.

12. Update-ModuleManifest flattening FunctionsToExport into a String

Using New-ModuleManifest with FunctionsToExport as an array creates the proper field:

FunctionsToExport = 'function1', 'function2', 'function3'

But if I run Update-ModuleManifest on the manifest file, the FunctionsToExport will get flattened to a single string:

FunctionsToExport = 'function1 function2 function3'

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the lag in returning to this thread.
    From the feedback, it looks like this has been corrected in 5.1, and we are unable to reproduce it internally. If someone can reproduce this with either the 5.1 preview, the client Anniversary Edition, or Server 2016 TP5 (& later) PLEASE reactivate this issue. Thank you!

13. Have separate about_Classes and about_DSC_Classes

The aboutClasses help file should not have any DSC class information except for a "See Also" reference to a separate aboutDSC_Classes, which will of course have lots of details for DSC.

This will help combat the perception that PowerShell classes are not "real" classes for serious programmers, and that PowerShell classes were not added just for the sake of supporting DSC.

The about_Classes file should be further fleshed out so that C#, Java and Python developers will know what to (not) expect when using PowerShell classes.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Help for Get-ChildItem does not document the new -Depth parameter

I am running PS Version 5.0.10586.122, and ran Update-Help (as Administrator) and the documentation for Get-ChildItem still does not include the -Depth parameter, which i read about in another MSDN page here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/wmf/feedback_getchilditem

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Get-Counter throws NullReferenceException in Powershell 5.0.10586.122

PS C:\Users\Josh> get-counter
    get-counter : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    At line:1 char:1
    + get-counter
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Counter], NullReferenceException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCounterCommand

PS C:\Users\Josh> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Major Minor Build Revision

5 0 10586 122

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Provide PowerShell module or DSC resource to manage Local Security Policy

Its troublesome task to automate management of local security policy. it will be nice if a DSC resource is provided to manage local security policy. if not, then a module that allows exporting, importing, and set/get of individual local security policy item would be very helpful. ability to identify if a particular local security policy is configured via group policy or not will be great too!.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. WMF5.0 Prod Preview (KB3066437) installation problem

BUG: WMF5.0 Prod Preview (KB3066437) cannot be installed anymore on 2012 R2
    Since yesterday when I launch WMF5.0 Prod Preview (KB3066437) installation an error message box show up : "the timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified or is malformed"

Indeed : Microsoft Time-Stamp Service certificate is out of date : 20/06/2016 !

How can I install this Preview version without changing date time on the server (SQL Production server !) ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Long path support

PowerShell really needs to be able to handle long paths.
    It is really tedious having to drop out to RoboCopy to enumerate/copy/etc. files with more than 260 character paths.
    We all know that these paths exist on our file servers etc., yet core support for them in various bits of Windows (including the newer ones like PowerShell) still seems to be lacking.

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. PSSA errors with DSC example files

When publishing DSC resources to the PowerShell Gallery, the PS Script Analyzer incorrectly flags errors any examples with the following error:

Parse error in file ...\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Lability\0.9.8\DSCResources\xHyper-V\Examples\Sample_xVhdFileExamples.ps1: The DSC engine could not load the module 'xHyper-V'. It was not found on the system at line 27 column 9.

I would image that this affects the MS published DSC resources too. Now, I know that this doesn't currently stop the modules from being published, but presumably at some point any errors will reject the module from submission.

We need a reliable way of turning that rule off for example files. The last…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base