PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Feature Request: Provide Working Tabs for PowerShell

Feature Request:
    Include an optional tabbed interface within PowerShell.exe to allow multiple instances of concurrent active PowerShell windows. This would allow different interactive sessions to be open instead of launching multiple PowerShell.exe windows to save the end user additional screen real estate when using PowerShell where Enter-PSSession and Exit-PSSession may not be utilized based on the user's workflow.

Idea from blog post:
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ConEmuTheWindowsTerminalConsolePromptWeveBeenWaitingFor.aspx

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a Get-Uptime cmdlet

Add a new cmdlet that returns the uptime of a computer. This is commonly used information that is present in Task Manager. Currently, in order to retrieve this information, you need to make several calls with Get-WMIObject and calculate the uptime. A simple, easy to use cmdlet would be much more preferable.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Need AzureRM equivalent cmdlets for Get/Set-AzureNetworkSecurityGroupToSubnet

Working with Network Security Groups would be much easier in the new portal with an Azure RM Equivalent cmdlet for Get/Set-AzureNetworkSecurityGroupToSubnet

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Item has been transferred to Azure’s GitHub repo for managing (see previous comment). Closing this item. If no action happens via the other channel, feel free to add comments here.

4. The Tip of the week doesn't work for me.

The Tip of the week doesn't work for me. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff730941.aspx
    I know it's not the right place to post but maybe you can forward to someone to fix. Everything seems to work but I get no output for $x

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Can we get an activity bar for Get-CMDevice?

We have some 12,000 computers in SCCM. I am a very active admin and run PowerShell scripts against the environment regularly. When I have to pull down all of the computers from, say, "All Workstations" it can take a very long time. I would love to see a progress bar. Thank you for your consideration. Just for clarity, I'm talking like you would see with a Get-QADsomething command using the Quest AD tools. Thanks again!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. ISE crashes at launch after AMD Seymour Graphics Driver installation

ISE crashes at launch after AMD Seymour Graphics Driver installation.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable 10.0.30319 comes with it.

I have PS version 5.
    After uninstalling of the AMD driver it's ok again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are unable to reproduce this problem without this AMD driver being present. At this time we are considering the issue to be with that specific driver, but we will monitor for other instances of the issue.

7. [PowerShell-UIAutomation][UIAutomationSpy Applicaiton] Typo: Menu item "Stop Recorging" is displayed under "Automation"

Issue:

Case: UIAutomationSpy Applicaiton
    Typo "Stop Recorging" is displayed under "Automation" menu.

Actual scenario:

String "Stop Recorging" is displayed instead of "Stop Recording"

Expected scenario:

String "Stop Recording" must be displayed instead of "Stop Recorging"

Repro steps:

1. Double click on "UIAutomationSpy.exe" application i.e. under "\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\UIAutomation"

2. Click on "Automation" from menu bar

Version:

UIAutomationSpy Application Property (Product Version): 0.8.7.93

Other Details:

PSVersion 5.0.10586.63
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion 10.0.10586.63
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. DSC Environment Resource Does Not Allow Duplicate PATH Definitions

Votes from Connect: 4

Original Date Submitted: 11/25/2015 1:53:18 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: aolszowka
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 2054079

Frequency: Desired State Configuration (DSC)
    Regression: Assume that you've had several machines in production for a long period of time, these machines may possibly have invalid configurations within them (for example perhaps you have switched text editors which require a change to the PATH environment variable) a robust configuration will attempt to perform cleanup of known invalid configurations prior to implementing its desired states.

Such a DSC script would look similar to the below:

Environment EnvVar_PATH_Notepad2

{
    Name =
    12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Expand-Archive.ps1 should unzip non zip-formats without .zip extensions (like .nupkg)

Votes from Connect: 6

Original Date Submitted: 4/17/2015 10:10:19 PM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: alejandro5042
    Feedback ID: 1255281

Problem Description:
    There are many file formats that are actually just .zip files but with different extensions. For example, NuGet packages are really zip files with the .nupkg extension. My company (National Instruments) has many of these types of formats, as does Microsoft with their Office formats, and many other companies.

It's silly to have to copy/rename the file to have a .zip to have this cmdlet extract the contents. I suggest removing the .zip file check in all…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. StackOverflowException when passing [Microsoft.RemoteDesktopServices.Common.RDCBHADetails] objects to/from static methods

I encountered a situation that constantly generates a StackOverflowException. I was trying to pass an object from a v5 static class method to the parameter of another static method in the same class.

Method

static [string] GetActiveManagementServer ([Microsoft.RemoteDesktopServices.Common.RDCBHADetails]$RDCBHADetails)

{
    if ($RDCBHADetails -ne $null)
    {
    return $RDCBHADetails.ActiveManagementServer
    }
    else
    {
    return $null
    }
    }

Method call where $RDCBHADetails is of Type Microsoft.RemoteDesktopServices.Common.RDCBHADetails

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Compress-Archive Add a Passthru parameter

It would be great to have the parameter Passthru when using the Compress-Archive function from the Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive module.

I would expect a System.IO.FileInfo object in the output

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Compress-archive add password switch to allow create protected zip files

Votes from Connect: 7

Original Date Submitted: 5/20/2015 9:21:45 PM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: MDrobul
    Feedback ID: 1350514

Problem Description:
    Add support to create password protected zip files and extract them.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 1350514 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=1350514).

Repro Steps:

Internal BugId: 14497

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add functionality to Expand-Archive so that it can open password-protected archive (zip) files

Votes from Connect: 4

Original Date Submitted: 5/12/2015 2:38:00 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Set-Name Mark Wilson
    Feedback ID: 1323774

Problem Description:
    Please add a -Password switch to Expand-Archive so that it can open password-protected archive files. These files can currently be opened only through the GUI.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 1323774 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=1323774).

Repro Steps:

Internal BugId: 14458

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Set-UserPhoto Exchange Online 413 Request Entity Too Large

Votes from Connect: 3

Original Date Submitted: 7/18/2014 3:23:48 PM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Chen V
    Feedback ID: 923189

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: I do not know if this issue existed previously

Problem Description:
    We tried Pushing high resolution picture to exchange online to replicate the same in LYNC 2010 on premises environment. We do have a plan to migrate 2010 Lync Client to 2013.

I tried Set-UserPhoto in Exchange Online with WMF 2.0 in 2008 R2 server. It worked fine. Ideally it shouldn't because the maximum size allowed is 10 KB with 96 X 96. If…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Remove trailing whitespace from Excel copies into PowerShell

When using my Excel automation sheets I get the trailing white space and line breaks copied directly into PowerShell as ^I^I^I^I^I^M instead of an enter at the end of the line as it was in previous version.

This is rather annoying seeing how my automation sheets no longer function due to this as commandos don't follow each other up and stay in a single line.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

external  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

external  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Provide the ability to expose the Powershell commands behind any OS config change

When using GUI tools for the management of Windows, it would be beneficial to have an option to expose the underlying Powershell commands that a configuration change is running under the hood. This would be similar to the "Script to new query window" functionality in SSMS or the ability to see the Powershell commands being run in Exchange configuration. This would ease automation efforts and decrease the amount of time required to automate system configuration changes.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

If I understand correctly, you’re looking for functionality like this one provided by System Center VMM: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh875023(v=sc.12).aspx

Unfortunately, this is something that would have to be implemented in each individual management application, and would only be possible on those which are actually calling PowerShell under the hood.

I highly recommend that the supporters of this suggestion file suggestions on the management GUIs where they’d like to see this functionality.

For example, if you want to see this in SMT, file something here: https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295071-management-tools

Or for SMSS, file something on their MS Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback

Sorry I can’t be more help here, everyone. This just isn’t functionality that we can provide generically to all your GUI tools. :(

Thanks,
    Joey

1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base