PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tab completion should complete Verb then Noun

With hundreds of CmdLets, tab-completion becomes arduous. This could have a new mode that's two step, so I type:

Reg [tab]

Which completes "Register-" and waits for more input.

Then I type:

ps [tab]

Which completes the rest to make "Register-PSRepository".

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bug in Show-Command

Scriptblock parameters are interpreted as a [bool] value and is shown as a listbox with values $true or $false

Code to reproduce:

Show-Command -Name Invoke-Command

Scriptblock parameter is shown as a [bool] listbox

Cheers

Tore

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add A "Start In" Directory for Enter-PSSession

By default, we are placed into Documents (at least I am), then have to change directories. It would be nice to be able to specify a directory we'd like to start in using Enter-PSSession.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  WinRM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Should Save-Script download all modules defined as dependencies or not?

Right now, when you run the Save-Script command you end up with a script and all its module dependencies. In my case, I only wanted a script and got 100+ MB of modules too. :(

It would be better if you introduce the -IncludeModules parameter, and by default only download a script with the Save-Script.

Downloading the modules with the script makes sense for Install-Script, but not so much with Save-Script, in my opinion.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  5 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. IntelliSense pane's width should be user-configurable

Even better if it can be specified through $psISE.Options.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. WMF5.1 - Get-ComputerInfo unable to find entry point GetFirmwareType

Running the new Get-ComputerInfo returns the following error
    C:> Get-ComputerInfo
    Get-ComputerInfo : Unable to find an entry point named 'GetFirmwareType' in DLL 'kernel32.dll'.

This is on a XenDesktop VM hosted on VMWare, so I guess it's due to the desktop being virtualised. OS is Win7x64

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  7 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Node with large configurations fails to send status report to the Report Server

Testing out WMF 5.0 and when I tried one of our existing configurations, which has a good amount of resources in it, the following error is logged in the event log after each consistency check:

Job {%JobID%} :
    Http Client {%AgentID%} failed for WebReportManager for configuration The attempt to send status report to the server https://johntestx02/PSDSCPullServer.svc/Nodes(AgentId={%AgentID%}')/SendReport returned unexpected response code RequestEntityTooLarge..

I assume this is because of the amount of resources the node is trying to report on back to the report server. Has anyone else run into this? Can the Report Server configuration be adjusted to accept lager amounts…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Get-WinEvent - FilterHashtable - query is wrong

I do test:

$a=Get-WinEvent -FilterHashtable @{LogName="Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Operational";"Param5"=
    "UserPrinterName"} -Verbose -ComputerName printserver

VERBOSE: Constructed structured query:
    <QueryList><Query Id="0" Path="microsoft-windows-printservice/operational"><Select
    Path="microsoft-windows-printservice/operational">[([EventData[Data[@Name='Param5']='UserPrinterName']] or
    [UserData/
    /Param5='UserPrinterName'])]</Select></Query></QueryList>.

Get-WinEvent : No events were found that match the specified selection criteria.

1. Really the log contain events under the filter!

2. If you copy-paste the Constructed structured query into Eventvwr.msc then you get error!

3. If I do the test with part of the generated query "[UserData//DocumentPrinted/Param5='UserPrinterName']" then you get the events in Powershell and in Eventvwr.msc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    survey  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

It looks like you found the issue and have a fix. Right now the easiest+ quickest way to get this fixed would be to go through GitHub. Please update this issue if you do go down that path and I will mark this as external.

9. Block WinRM operations during servicing

The WinRM service starts normally and accepts requests during component servicing operations (eg, "Working on Updates", "Working on Features" screens after a post-update/feature-change reboot). This causes problems for configuration management in cases where the servicing process triggers further reboots, especially since there doesn't appear to be a documented way to determine that servicing is underway. WinRM should either wait to accept requests until servicing is complete, or a way for third-party tools to determine that servicing is underway from Powershell should be documented.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  3 comments  ·  WinRM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. There is no step by step documenation in place how to install SQL server using xsqlps module

There is no step by step documenation in place how to install SQL server using xsqlps module

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Get-Date -UFormat %V is incorrect

Get-Date -UFormat %V is supposed to return the ISO 6801 week number like Unix does. I don't understand what value it currently returns (I think it's nothing sensible), but it definitely is NOT the correct week number!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. about_Language_Keywords is missing 4.0-5.0 keywords

aboutLanguageKeywords for PowerShell 5.0 (https://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh847744.aspx) is missing all of the new keywords for PowerShell 4.0 and 5.0, including critical keywords, such as Configuration, Class, and Enum.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. BUG: PSBoundParameters contains values from PREVIOUS pipeline input

When writing functions that take ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName, and accepting pipeline input, if some of the pipeline input is missing some properties, PSBoundParameters contains the previous value... incorrectly reporting the parameter was passed in:

For example:

function Get-UserName {
    [CmdletBinding()]
    param(

[Parameter(ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName,Mandatory)]

$Last,

[Parameter(ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName)]
    $First

)
    process {

if($PSBoundParameters.ContainsKey(&#39;First&#39;)) {

Write-Host -Foreground Red $PSBoundParameters[&#39;First&#39;] $PSBoundParameters[&#39;Last&#39;] &quot; &quot; -NoNewLine
    $First[0] + $Last
    } else {
    $Last
    }

}
    }

$Users = [PSCustomObject]@{ First = "Ethan"; Last = "Hunt" }, [PSCustomObject]@{ First = "Jason"; Last = "Bourne" }, [PSCustomObject]@{ Last = "Bond" }

$Users | Get-UserName

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please make -NoTypeInformation the default for Export-CSV

I'm pretty sure that Export-CSV is used for creating Excel compatible files far more often than it is used for Serialising and Deserialising Type-consistent PS Objects.

Alternatively / additionally adding a PS preference variable to set the default behaviour.

I understand that this is simply a convenience thing, eliminating the need to add an extra parameter for the most common use case.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Get-ComputerInfo most properties are empty

I try the new CMDLet Get-ComputerInfo, but the most properties in the result are empty.
    Only this properties show values:
    WindowsBuildLabEx,WindowsCurrentVersion,WindowsEditionId,WindowsInstallationType,WindowsInstallDateFromRegistry,WindowsProductId,WindowsProductName,WindowsRegisteredOrganization,WindowsRegisteredOwner,WindowsSystemRoot,TimeZone,LogonServer,PowerPlatformRole,DeviceGuardSmartStatus

Try also as Admin and with different Hardware and VM's. (Windows 10 x64 Versiom 1607)

Beste regards
    brima

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  2 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Windows Server as a REST API

Delegating access to Windows Server functions (e.g., create a DHCP reservation, modify a DNS record, provision a share, etc.) in a heterogeneous, modern, self-service environment is greatly hindered by available protocols. While RPC, CIM, psremoting/wsman/soap, et al. are technically open, they are far enough from modern mainstream app heterogeneous ease of use that they are practically Windows only.
    Windows should provide a facility to easily expose Windows functions as simple REST-ish APIs accessible to any calling platform. JEA makes a great engine for executing delegated functions, so I would imagine using JEA or similar as the execution context, but with…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add IsWindows to PS5.1 to allow cleaner code

PowerShell for Linux and OSX added IsLinux, IsOSX, and IsCore (?). IsWindows was added for PowerShellCore.

Can you add IsWindows to allow cleaner code to not have to assume if it is False for Linux,OSX,Core, it's full Windows (not nano), etc?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add a Duration column to the History output

The output of Get-History has Start and End times which can be put together to calculate a Duration. Why not add that to the default formatting of history objects?

As a workaround, I use these:
    https://gist.github.com/Jaykul/2d4dc5e4f5195c726368435055b8acdb

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Register-ArgumentCompleter is not documented

The cmdlet Register-ArgumentCompleter is not documented.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base