PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. [Bug] Flaw in Cmdlet Where-Object: Unexpected output for option -LT when entering a wrong property name

Hello there, not too sure where to post my findings as this is my first time reporting a Windows bug, so I hope I chose the right category.

I discovered a potential bug in the Cmdlet Where-Object which involves the -LT option and misspelling the selection property. I reproduced the error on a clean VM of Windows 10 (please refer to the images attached), although I initially noticed this bug in Windows Server 2016. Instead of no output due to the wrong spelling of the property "Length", the initial output of the command piped into Where-Object is listed. This might…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Modules not recognized in Powershell 5.1

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. After some time I recognized that Ctrl-R (back-i-search) did not work anymore. I tried to follow instructions of #350 to resolve the problem. But when I tried to call Get-PSReadLineOption or Install-Module I got errors.

I also tried deleting the whole powershell folder c:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\ and ran sfc /scannow but still ctrl-r is not working.

Environment

```
    Windows build number: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.592]
    Powershell Version (if applicable):
    Major Minor Build Revision

5 1 18362 145
    ```

Steps to reproduce

Install-Module

Expected behavior

cmdlet Install-Module at command pipeline position 1
    Supply…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Get-VMProcessor doesn't show state of ExposeVirtualizationExtensions

Set-VMProcessor -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true -VMName <VMNAME>

Get-VMProcessor -VMName <VMNAME>

This should show a column for ExposeVirtualizationExtensions but it doesn't

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Get-Windowsupdatlog does not work at all when the system is not connected to internet and your documentation is useless

Please bring back the old WindowsUpdateLog we had before. It was usefull and helpful. Get-WindowsUPdateLog on the other hand works great if you are connected to the internet. But if not, you get huge problems. There are multiple documentations not helping at all, because you are permanently keeping on changing anything. Please provide a useful documentation, provide the files we need to get the windowsupdatelog readable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Chocolatey's refreshenv should be first-party

Make the Chocolatey refreshenv part of Powershell. Manipulating environment variables is very difficult without it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. convertto-json fails on result from Get-AzDiagnosticSetting

The user reported an issue of Convertto-json cmdlet.
    Here is the details. Please take a loot at it.

https://github.com/Azure/azure-powershell/issues/10216

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Find-Package has no -ScriptSourceLocation parameter

C:> Find-Package -ProviderName 'NuGet' -ScriptSourceLocation 'https://www.powershellgallery.com/api/v2/items/psscript&#39;
    Find-Package : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'ScriptSourceLocation'.
    At line:1 char:37
    + Find-Package -ProviderName 'NuGet' -ScriptSourceLocation 'https://ww ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Find-Package], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.FindPackage

PS 21:22 C:\src
    C:>$PSVersionTable

Name Value

PSVersion 5.1.18362.145
    PSEdition Desktop
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion 10.0.18362.145
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. The Option to Display PS Window Name

There is the time that we need to open more than one PowerShell windows at a time and run different CMDLETs for different purposes.
    So if there is the option to show up the purposes of different PS window, it will greatly help us distinguish and find out the currently required PS window.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Please add progress bars on taskbar (with TaskbarItemInfo.ProgressValue) to Write-Progress

It would be great to have not only in-window progress bar for my scripts, but the green bar filling up my taskbar as I can see in Copy and other operations. It may be just something like -taskbar... parameter, maybe additionally fitted with ProgressState.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Remove-PrinterDriver with -Force option

The Remove-PrinterDriver cmdlet currently does not offer a -Force option. This becomes a problem when there are network printers mapped via Group Policy that use the driver. When this is the case, PowerShell will return a "The specified driver is in use by one or more printers" error.

PnPUtil offers the ability to force delete a driver even if it is in use. PowerShell's Remove-PrinterDriver cmdlet should offer the same behavior (clearly it is possible).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. ISE should not switch focus automatically to the console pane

Starting from Windows 10 1803, when you run a selected block of code using F8, ISE switches focus to the console pane. This means that when you run several of these, you have to manually switch the focus back to the script pane after each execution.

This is much more difficult than before, so please fix this.

138 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. When running exe in scriptblock antimalware executable gets triggered

I'm attempting to run an executable remotely on a machine that needs updating. Whenever the exe is called, Antimalware Service Executable pops up on the remote machine for a moment, and then nothing else happens.

Code is attached. Unsure if this is user error/known issue/isolated bug

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. DHCP Server Class - ASCII data is missing

The output of the Get-DhcpServerv4Class cmdlet give me the information that I need, except for one AsciiData value. I don't know if that is something computed from the corresponding Data value.

PS C:\temp> Get-DhcpServerv4Class -ComputerName $ComputerName -Type "Vendor" | Where-Object {$_.Description -notlike "Microsoft*"}

Name Type Data AsciiData Description

Cisco Aironet 1200 Vendor 0x436973636f2041502063... Cisco AP c1200 Vendor Class Indentifi...
    airespace Vendor 0x4169726573706163652e... Airespace.AP1200 1010
    Airespace 2700 Vendor 0x436973636f2041502063... Cisco AP c2700 Cisco Aironet 2700 Series
    Mitel IP Phone Options Vendor 0x697070686f6e652e6d69... Mitel-specific options...
    PXEClient (BIOS) Vendor 0x505845436c69656e743a... PXEClient:Arch:00000 PXEClient (BIOS)
    PXEClient (UEFI x64) Vendor 0x505845436c69656e743a... PXEClient:Arch:00007 PXEClient (UEFI x64)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Get-Content -Head and -Tail doesn't work well on large files

I want to look a few lines of a large file, but Get-Content with -Head and -Tail option still reports insufficient memory issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SET - ProtectedFromAccidentalDeletion

Get-ADcomputer -filter 'Name -like "SRV_*"' -Properties ProtectedFromAccidentalDeletion | Set-ADObject -ProtectedfromaccidentialDeletion $false

Get-ADcomputer -filter 'Name -like "SRV_*"' -Properties ProtectedFromAccidentalDeletion | Set-ADComputer -ProtectedfromaccidentialDeletion $false

Set-ADComputer : Es wurde kein Parameter gefunden, der dem Parameternamen
    "ProtectedfromaccidentialDeletion" entspricht.
    In Zeile:1 Zeichen:106
    + ... Set-ADComputer -ProtectedfromaccidentialDeletion $false
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-ADComputer], Parameter

BindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory

.Management.Commands.SetADComputer

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Start-Sleep seconds cpu usage

The following causes sleep to not sleep at all

Start-Sleep -Seconds 0.5

Seems anything < 1.0 is considered to be zero

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cannot change Temp folder path used fora Exchange Online Power-Shell Module imports

Cannot change Temp folder path used for Exchange Online Power-Shell Module (With MFA) imports. How do we change the path from using the temp folder

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. BUG: [System.Windows.Forms.SystemInformation]::PrimaryMonitorSize returns display size inconsistently between PS and PS ISE

Reproducibility: always.

1) Set display scaling not at 100%
    2) Start new PS and PS ISE sessions
    3) Run:
    Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms
    4) Notice difference when running in PS ISE to PS standard

PS ISE takes no notice of display scaling and reports screen resolution. PS does take notice of display scaling and reports virtual screen resolution, e.g. 1920x1080 for a 3840x2160 screen with 200% scaling.

$PSVersionTable:
    PSVersion 5.1.18362.145
    PSEdition Desktop
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion 10.0.18362.145
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

Windows 10 Pro v1903 OS Build 18362.418

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bug: Powershell Get-Help does not work with Exchange Online cmdlets

We've been lucky, from what I'm gathering from web searches! Until December last year, Exchange Online Powershell cmdlet help was available using Get-Help in the shell. However, after the Christmas break, the only response we get is:

Get-Help : Exception calling "Invoke" with "0" argument(s): "Cannot find path '' because it does
    not exist."
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-Help Get-Mailbox
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Help], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CmdletInvocationException

It's the same issue irrespective of the cmdlet.

Consequently, I'm forced to contend with painful searches of the documentation website for information of the relevant cmdlets.

Raised…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base