PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Powershell reacts to Lithuanian 9 and 0 in a wrong way starting Windows 1809

It's not an idea, it's a bug.

Lithuanian keyboard is known to use the right Alt as AltGr.

As a top keyboard row in the Lithuanian keyboard layout is Lithuanian characters, holding AltGr allows all the top row to become an English US keyboard again.

This way, holding AltGr enables to type numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0. But not in Powershell, that ships with Windows 1809. Be it Windows Server 2019 1809, or Windows 10 1809.

Starting with this Powershell, typing AltGr+9 and AltGr+0 does nothing and this is wrong.

Typing numbers in Powershell…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Sandboxing powershell.exe.config for different versions of PowerShell

Windows PowerShell.exe supports a -Version command-line switch, which aligns the current PowerShell session to a particular version of PowerShell, e.g. powershell.exe -Version 2.0 will get you a PS shell which uses .NET 2.0 and PowerShell v2. This is still useful, because I still have to write scripts that work in older environments, even though I am running WinPS 5.1 myself.

However, semi-recent Windows Updates have added configuration to powershell.exe.config (I think to support newer TLS ciphers), which are incompatible with powershell.exe -Version 2.0.

The following simple code is a minimal test point:

$wc = New-Object Net.WebClient

$wc.DownloadString(&#39;<a rel="nofollow noreferrer"
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please update help for Format-List

Please update help version of Format-List to PowerShell 5.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. gridview tabulation

Group multiple gridview in one windows.A tabulation system to navigate between grids.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Get-DnsServerResourceRecord returns duplicate records when a subzone name matches the parent zone name.

BUG: Get-DnsServerResourceRecord returns incorrect objects with the FQDN name in the hostname field if the parent zone contains a subzone with the same name.

Reproduction:

Setup:
    Create a DNS zone:

testzone.fake.domain.zzz

Create a sub zone:

testzone.fake.domain.zzz 

(subzone fqdn: testzone.fake.domain.zzz.testzone.fake.domain.zzz)

Create an A record:

Zone Name: 

testzone.fake.domain.zzz (the parent zone)
    Record Name:
    testrecord
    Data:

Create an A record:

Zone Name: 

testzone.fake.domain.zzz.testzone.fake.domain.zzz (the subzone)
    Record Name:
    testrecord
    Data:

Test:
    Get-DnsServerResourceRecord will return these records:
    Item# HostName______________________________________________________ RecordData RecordType

1 testrecord                                                     10.1.2.3   A

2 &lt;various&gt; &lt;various&gt; &lt;various&gt;
    3 testzone.fake.domain.zzz 10.1.2.3 A
    4 testrecord.testzone.fake.domain.zzz.testzone.fake.domain.zzz 10.3.2.1 A
    5 &lt;various&gt;.testzone.fake.domain.zzz &lt;various&gt; &lt;various&gt;

Item 1…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. i need powershell to support the sed command

i need powershell to support the sed command

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. New-SmbShare fails without triggering Try

I have a Powershell script to duplicate the shares from one machine onto another that is in the process of being mirrored. I am testing my script, including it's error handling by attempting to recreate all shares when half the drives have not been populated on the new machine. This should generate loads of "cannot create share, path not found" errors.

Thus, this code within the loop:
    Try {
    New-SmbShare -Name "$($line.{Share Name})" -Path "$($line.{Folder Path})"
    echo "Created share $($line.{Share Name})" >>$logFile
    } Catch {
    Write-Error -Message "Exception Creating Windows share $($line.{Share Name}). Error is $_" -TargetObject $line
    echo "FAILED…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. TPM

TPM isn’t the only workable option for disk encryption and in fact, is almost guaranteed to provide the user with a false sense of security.

Sure, some encryption is better than none, but considering the fact that Microsoft has broken the trust it had with it's customers, when they were caught red-handed with their hands in the cookie jar, as well as their brazen Win10 campaign tactics that literally upended several businesses and that of the lives of so many other end users who woke up one morning to find all their files were gone because their computers were automatically

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. The Set-DNSServerResourceRecord command will not change the "PrimaryServer" field even though it looks like all commands execute just fine.

The Set-DNSServerResourceRecord command will not change the "PrimaryServer" field even though it looks like all commands execute just fine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. font color is too dark... anyway to change it?

I love to use Powershell. But some of its default color is too dark so that I cannot read them. I submitted comparison screenshot with CMD.

The posted screenshot is, as you see, 'ls' command from a remote server logined by CMD and Powershell each. You may see that right one's 'ls' output is too dark. I changed background but it was same cause it's the problem of font color itself not the background color or font size.

Some of internet post guided to change bash setting to change output color of 'ls', but that is just temporary fix only…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. mumudahkan perbaikan pada komputer

karena langsung runing sendiri dan langsung jadi

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. saya sangat terbantu dengan adanya halaman ini

ini sangat praktis dan mudan untuk dimengerti TY

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. AzureAD - Cannot properly read System.Byte[] value even when loading the module using "-UseWindowsPowerShell".

AzureAD - Cannot properly read System.Byte[] value even when loading the module using "-UseWindowsPowerShell".

Whenever I troubleshoot Conditional Access issues, I use to retrieve the certificate hash of AzureADDevice. Long story short, I retrieve "AlternativeSecurityIds.Key" property of AzureADDevice.

Get-AzureADDevice -SearchString XXXX| fl displayname,deviceid,objectid,@{n='DevCerHash';e={ [System.Text.Encoding]::Unicode.GetString($_.AlternativeSecurityIds.key).substring(21,40) }}

I know that PS7 isn't compatible with AzureAD module, and for this reason I use "-UseWindowsPowerShell" flag to load the module. Unfortunately, in PS5 the byte array is properly read, while in PS7 (-UseWindowsPowerShell) an object of wrong type is returned.

Get-AzureADDevice -SearchString XXXX| select AlternativeSecurityIds |gm

The above command returns "TypeName: Selected.Microsoft.Open.AzureAD.Model.Device" in PS5…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Powershell 5.1.17763.1007 on Windows 2019 stops with NativeCommandError on Azure Pipelines

How to reproduce:

With this Azure pipelines yaml snippets:

The special character are all encoded. And when I attach a file I get 500 error. Please see https://gist.github.com/chenbojian/6fcb3a8c3bbe42cc2851a1eefe9f4324

- job: win2019

pool:
    vmImage: windows-2019
    steps:
    - powershell: |
    $PSVersionTable
    cmd /c &#39;echo this will crash powershell 1&gt;&amp;2&#39;
    - job: win2016
    pool:
    vmImage: vs2017-win2016
    steps:
    - powershell: |
    $PSVersionTable

The win2019…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. ValidateScript does not work for class properties

ValidateScript does not work for class properties. All other validating seem to work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Suggestion: Getting the size of Network Shares with Hard-Quotas factored in

When you map a network drive to your computer and look at the available storage, the GUI shows you the storage available as set by any hard-quotas configured in File Server Resource Manager. However, when you run any sort of PowerShell script to query the drive, you get the result of the drive without any quota in place.

It'd be great to have a query which shows the storage available and used with the quota factored in.

As an example, I just had to write a script which emails me our share sizes once a day but instead of simply…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Bug: Format-Hex Does not display single zero byte

Format-Hex does not display output with a source of a single zero byte or byte array with a single zero byte:

Repro:

[byte]$byte = 0
    $byte | Format-Hex # no value displayed
    [byte[]]$bytes = 0
    $bytes | Format-Hex # no value displayed

[byte]$byte = 1
    $byte | Format-Hex # correct 01 value displayed
    [byte[]]$bytes = 1
    $bytes | Format-Hex # correct 01 value displayed

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Typing with Shift is not working in non-English keyboard layout

In PowerShell console in Windows 10 there is a serious problem that prevents entering capitalized letters (i.e. pressing Shift+Letter does nothing). This happens with most but not all letters and depends on the keyboard layout that was active when PowerShell console was started. If PowerShell console is started with English (US) keyboard layout, than typing in English works without problems (only Shift+Space not work, but I see another issue about it). After switching to Russian keyboard layout, most letters with Shift not work. Only ЦУШЩХЪФЫСТ can be typed. But when PowerShell console is started with Russian keyboard layout, it is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. test-modulemanifest RequiredAssemblies fails if dll is fully qualified

Test-ModuleManifest, Update-ModuleManifest & Publish-ModuleManifest all fail if RequiredAssemblies contains the full string. This is because they all rely on Test-ModuleManifest which does not handle the fully qualified form of the assembly name.

for example UIAutomationClient will work

however the following will fail:
    "UIAutomationClient, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"

On a related topic, after editing the manifest i had to close & re-open powershell. even an import-module -Force did not allow it to see the updated module information.

Import-Module $module.Name -Force

write-host &quot;Updated copyright for $($module.Name) old value: $($module.Copyright)&quot;
    Update-ModuleManifest -Path $module.Path -Copyright &quot;(c) $([datetime]::Now.Year). All rights reserved.&quot; -ErrorAction Stop

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Test-ModuleManifest returns incorrect Tags when run multiple times

If you run the Test-ModuleManifest cmdlet more than once against the same manifest the "Tags" property returns different results each time.

For example, I have a module that contains the following tags in the psd1 file:

Tags = "tag1","tag2"

You can see below that if run the Test-ModuleManifest more than once it returns more copies of the tags each time it's executed:

$m = Test-ModuleManifest .\tagtest.psd1
    $m.tags
    tag1
    tag2
    tag1
    tag2

$m.tags
    tag1
    tag2
    tag1
    tag2
    tag1
    tag2

$m.tags
    tag1
    tag2
    tag1
    tag2
    tag1
    tag2
    tag1
    tag2

$m = $null
    $m =…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 86 87
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base