PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Sandboxing powershell.exe.config for different versions of PowerShell

Windows PowerShell.exe supports a -Version command-line switch, which aligns the current PowerShell session to a particular version of PowerShell, e.g. powershell.exe -Version 2.0 will get you a PS shell which uses .NET 2.0 and PowerShell v2. This is still useful, because I still have to write scripts that work in older environments, even though I am running WinPS 5.1 myself.

However, semi-recent Windows Updates have added configuration to powershell.exe.config (I think to support newer TLS ciphers), which are incompatible with powershell.exe -Version 2.0.

The following simple code is a minimal test point:

$wc = New-Object Net.WebClient

$wc.DownloadString(&#39;<a rel="nofollow noreferrer"
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. gridview tabulation

Group multiple gridview in one windows.A tabulation system to navigate between grids.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. i need powershell to support the sed command

i need powershell to support the sed command

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. New-SmbShare fails without triggering Try

I have a Powershell script to duplicate the shares from one machine onto another that is in the process of being mirrored. I am testing my script, including it's error handling by attempting to recreate all shares when half the drives have not been populated on the new machine. This should generate loads of "cannot create share, path not found" errors.

Thus, this code within the loop:
    Try {
    New-SmbShare -Name "$($line.{Share Name})" -Path "$($line.{Folder Path})"
    echo "Created share $($line.{Share Name})" >>$logFile
    } Catch {
    Write-Error -Message "Exception Creating Windows share $($line.{Share Name}). Error is $_" -TargetObject $line
    echo "FAILED…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. TPM

TPM isn’t the only workable option for disk encryption and in fact, is almost guaranteed to provide the user with a false sense of security.

Sure, some encryption is better than none, but considering the fact that Microsoft has broken the trust it had with it's customers, when they were caught red-handed with their hands in the cookie jar, as well as their brazen Win10 campaign tactics that literally upended several businesses and that of the lives of so many other end users who woke up one morning to find all their files were gone because their computers were automatically

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Suggestion: Getting the size of Network Shares with Hard-Quotas factored in

When you map a network drive to your computer and look at the available storage, the GUI shows you the storage available as set by any hard-quotas configured in File Server Resource Manager. However, when you run any sort of PowerShell script to query the drive, you get the result of the drive without any quota in place.

It'd be great to have a query which shows the storage available and used with the quota factored in.

As an example, I just had to write a script which emails me our share sizes once a day but instead of simply…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Explorer 'Pinned Items' on the taskbar opening in PowerShell 7 rather than explorer

I have pinned folders to my task bar under Explorer.exe. Since installing PowerShell 7 these links open in PowerShell rather than explorer.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Windows clusters - Pipline doens't work in version 7 but works in 5.1

Simple script to find cluster Listener fails to accept pipeline in version 7. Works fine in version 5.1

$CurCluster = Get-Cluster -Name $ClusterName #Sets the Current Cluster to the clustername

$Listener = ($CurCluster | Get-ClusterResource | Where-Object { $.ResourceType -eq 'Network Name' -and $.OwnerGroup -ne 'Cluster Group' }).Name #Gets the Listener Name if configured - if not conifugred then this will exit

Running this code in PS 7 generates this error:

Get-ClusterResource: The input object cannot be bound to any parameters for the command either because the command does not take pipeline input or the input and its…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. powershell display at boot up

The following window displays when I start up my notebook computer: C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe. How do I prevent that?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Powershell display the letter Ø/ø wrong

The letter Ø/ø is displaying as an O/o in PowerShell 5.1.18362.628. All other letters is displayed correctly, but not Ø/ø. I suspect that this is because 0 is looking similar, but Ø/ø is not the same as O/o so this is wrong.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Get-UICulture DateTimeFormat ShortTimePattern cannot set 24h format

On Windows 10 / Server 2012 / 2016 I can set the "short time format" by using the Get-UICulture and Set-Culture commandlets to the 12 hour format with AM/PM indicators.
    However, I can not change it from 12 hour format to 24 hour format. It remains in the 12 hour format - meanwhile there is no problem to set the 24h format from the Settings app in Windows.

(In contrast to that, the LongTimePattern works fine both ways)

Steps to reproduce

(Get-UICulture).DateTimeFormat | Select ShortTimePattern,LongTimePattern | fl
    $modCulture = Get-UICulture
    ($modCulture.DateTimeFormat).ShortTimePattern = "h:mm"
    ($modCulture.DateTimeFormat).LongTimePattern = "h:mm:ss"
    Set-Culture $modCulture

(Get-UICulture).DateTimeFormat |…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Powershell 5.1-14409-1018 throws "The type initializer for 'System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalRunspace' threw an exception."

Randomly we're seeing "The type initializer for 'System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalRunspace' threw an exception." when trying to start powershell. It's not always the same command.

Example command:

powershell.exe -NoLogo -NonInteractive -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -InputFormat None -Command "[System.Environment]::GetEnvironmentVariable('ChocolateyInstall', 'MACHINE')"

Server 2K12R2. Doesn't happen every time, even running the same command multiple times in a row, not able to correlate to anything that's going on with the system at the time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add-Member unexpected behaviour when adding method to value types

Trying to alter value with a method:
    $x = 2
    Add-Member -InputObject $x -MemberType ScriptMethod -Name "AlterValue" -Value {param ([int]$NewValue) $NewValue; $this = $NewValue}
    $x.AlterValue(3)
    $x
    No error (even with Set-StrictMode -Version Latest), no update either.

$y = 'b'
    Add-Member -InputObject $y -MemberType ScriptMethod -Name "AlterValue" -Value {param ([string]$NewValue) $NewValue; $this = $NewValue}
    $y.AlterValue('a')
    Error: Method invocation failed because [System.String] does not contain a method named 'AlterValue'.
    Then trying like this:
    $y | Add-Member -MemberType ScriptMethod -Name "AlterValue" -Value {param ([string]$NewValue) $NewValue; $this = $NewValue}
    Runs without error, but $y.AlterValue('a') results in the same error as above. Same if I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Problem passing Arguments to Win10 Secondary Tile App

I am trying to launch the Win10 bluetooth configuration page via PowerShell shortcut.

In a nutshell:

start-process -FilePath "shell:appsFolder\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel" -ArgumentList "Page=SettingsPageDevices"

does open the device settings, but the argument to navigate to the Bluetooth Devices is not taken.

Background: I exported the tile settings using:
    Export-StartLayout -UseDesktopApplicationID -Path m:\layout.xml
    That gave me:
    <start:SecondaryTile AppUserModelID="windows.immersivecontrolpanelcw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel" TileID="SystemSettingsL2_SettingsPageDevices" DisplayName="" Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" Arguments="page=SettingsPageDevices" Square71x71LogoUri="ms-appx:///" Square150x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/Devices.png" Wide310x150LogoUri="ms-appdata:///local/SettingsTiles/wide.Devices.png" Square310x310LogoUri="ms-appx:///" ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo="true" ShowNameOnWide310x150Logo="true" BackgroundColor="#00000000" ForegroundText="light" />

When I call the above to start it in the same way, I am not getting to the arguments being applied. I tried many different notation for the args…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Test-Path Incorrectly reports false when FileName contains [ ]

Test-Path incorrectly returns false when FileName contains [ ] brackets

PS D:&gt; $FN = "D:\DEST2\4213-2(None)(None)[1007959] NULL.pdf";

PS D:&gt; Test-Path $FN -PathType Any
    False

PS D:&gt; [System.IO.File]::Exists($FN)
    True

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. PowerShell needs to support right-click copy & paste like a modern shell/terminal interface

Support inline right-click copy and paste for PowerShell. Although this may be an issue specific to PowerShell, MobaXTerm on Windows supports it just fine, so either PowerShell or Windows Terminal is doing something wrong.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Run command as administrator in non administrative session

Similar to "sudo !!" in linux, I'd like a way to run commands that require elevation without having to open a new PowerShell session as admin.

Let me type the command then see a UAC prompt or ask for the password.

This would mostly just apply to a local Windows machine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. In the release version 7.0 the 'update-help' and 'update-help -UICulture en-US' hit an 404 with Powershell running as admi in Administration

In the release version 7.0 the 'update-help' and 'update-help -UICulture en-US' hit an 404 with Powershell running as Administrator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Are the Name and/or ProcessName properties of Get-Process wrong?

The Name and the ProcessName properties of the Get-Process, Stop-Process and Wait-Process CmdLets seems to use the wrong process names compared to the Win32_Process WMI class and other process related tools such as Windows task manager.
    Where WMI and task manager lists task names like Notepad.exe or Calculator.exe, Get-Process returns just "Notepad" or "Calculator" and Stop-Process requires me to specify these shortened names too.
    I understand that I can get the full name of the executable by specifying the -FileVersionInfo with Get-Process but it still doesn't allow me to search for a process using it's real process name.

Couldn't at…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. add -showprogress in copy-item, move-item

When copying large directories (or large single files) it would be nice to have progress available, so I can judge how long it will take. Adding -ShowProgress would be fantastic.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base