PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. add -showprogress in copy-item, move-item

When copying large directories (or large single files) it would be nice to have progress available, so I can judge how long it will take. Adding -ShowProgress would be fantastic.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. [Bug] Flaw in Cmdlet Where-Object: Unexpected output for option -LT when entering a wrong property name

Hello there, not too sure where to post my findings as this is my first time reporting a Windows bug, so I hope I chose the right category.

I discovered a potential bug in the Cmdlet Where-Object which involves the -LT option and misspelling the selection property. I reproduced the error on a clean VM of Windows 10 (please refer to the images attached), although I initially noticed this bug in Windows Server 2016. Instead of no output due to the wrong spelling of the property "Length", the initial output of the command piped into Where-Object is listed. This might…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Modules not recognized in Powershell 5.1

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. After some time I recognized that Ctrl-R (back-i-search) did not work anymore. I tried to follow instructions of #350 to resolve the problem. But when I tried to call Get-PSReadLineOption or Install-Module I got errors.

I also tried deleting the whole powershell folder c:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\ and ran sfc /scannow but still ctrl-r is not working.

Environment

```
    Windows build number: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.592]
    Powershell Version (if applicable):
    Major Minor Build Revision

5 1 18362 145
    ```

Steps to reproduce

Install-Module

Expected behavior

cmdlet Install-Module at command pipeline position 1
    Supply…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Update-Help doesn't work for some modules because HTTP redirection on module's Help URI

Update-Help doesn't work for some modules because there're >10 redirection on module's given Help URI.
    On my machine concerned modules are:
    ConfigDefender, Defender, HgsClient, HgsDiagnostics, Microsoft.PowerShell.Operation.Validation, ShieldedVMDataFile, UEV, Whea, WindowsDeveloperLicense.
    Step to reproduce:
    -Open Windows Powershell 5.1.18362.628 on a Windows 10 1909 machine
    -Type: Update-Help -UICulture en-US -Scope AllUsers -Force -Verbose -Debug

Expected behavior: Help is updated
    Actual behavior: You receive this error: "Update-Help: Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'ConfigDefender, Defender, HgsClient, HgsDiagnostics, Microsoft.PowerShell.Operation.Validation, ShieldedVMDataFile, UEV, Whea, WindowsDeveloperLicense' with UI culture(s) {en-US} : A Help URI cannot contain more than 10 redirections. Specify a valid Help URI.."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. New-ScheduledTaskTrigger missing option to NOT 'Synchronize across time zones'

New-ScheduledTaskTrigger missing option to NOT 'Synchronize across time zones'

The default is to always set it. This should not be an implied default as it creates problem with Daylight Saving etc.

To remove must do as follows which should not be needed:

$str = Get-ScheduledTask -TaskName TESTTASK

$NewTriggers = @()
    foreach($trigger in $str.Triggers)
    {

if($trigger.StartBoundary -match '\+01:00$')

{
    $Trigger.StartBoundary = $Trigger.StartBoundary.Substring(0,$Trigger.StartBoundary.Length-6)
    }
    $NewTriggers += $trigger

}

$str.Triggers = $NewTriggers
    Set-ScheduledTask -InputObject $str

Please add switch to disable either through New-ScheduledTaskTrigger or via Set-ScheduledTask

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Get-Windowsupdatlog does not work at all when the system is not connected to internet and your documentation is useless

Please bring back the old WindowsUpdateLog we had before. It was usefull and helpful. Get-WindowsUPdateLog on the other hand works great if you are connected to the internet. But if not, you get huge problems. There are multiple documentations not helping at all, because you are permanently keeping on changing anything. Please provide a useful documentation, provide the files we need to get the windowsupdatelog readable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Attributes Directory lists $RECYCLE.BIN

Hello!

With Powershell 6, my target ist to list all folders.

I find no way to exclude $RECYCLE.BIN
    :
    Get-ChildItem -LiteralPath 'D:' -Recurse -Attributes !Hidden+!System+!ReadOnly+!Encrypted+!IntegrityStream+Directory `

-ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

Thank You for advice me

Erhie

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. add-appxpackage does not have -user option.

add it so we can add those packages to specific user without logging in to that specific user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Chocolatey's refreshenv should be first-party

Make the Chocolatey refreshenv part of Powershell. Manipulating environment variables is very difficult without it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Provide PublishedName in printmanagement cmdlet

pnputil provides the PublishedName property. This can come in handy in rare cases where Windows does not properly register and unregister a driver.

This is what I am looking for:

Microsoft PnP Utility

Adding driver package: cnp60ma64.inf
    Driver package added successfully.
    Published Name: oem20.inf <---- need this
    Driver package installed.

Total driver packages: 1
    Added driver packages: 1

Unfortunately, the printmanagement cmdlet does not provide this functionality when adding or enumerating driver objects. Add-WindowsDriver and Get-WindowsDriver do, but you can only use Add-WindowsDriver on offline images at the moment.

Is there any plan to enhance or change this?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. How to modify "Date" column in Windows Explorer

In Windows Explorer there are two columns available: "Date modified" and "Date". I've tried both setting the .LastWriteTime and .CreationTime for files and it changes the date in the "Date Modified" column, but does not change the "Date" column.

Is there a way to modify the "Date" column in Windows Explorer using Powershell scripting? I basically want to create a "touch" command that will affect BOTH "Date modified" and "Date" columns in Windows Explorer.

Thanks!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Powershell webadministration module commandlet new-WebApplication fails in double-hop

in the WebAdministration module, the commandlet "new-WebApplication" fails if the physicalPath is a UNC location.

AppCmd.exe and the .NET lib Microsoft.Web.Administration do not have this limitation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Can't configure NetNatStaticMapping ExternalIPAddress other than 0.0.0.0

Trying to configure Static mapping using an ExternalIPAddress other than 0.0.0.0
    Get us this message:
    "Add-NetNatStaticMapping : The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
    Even though the IP address and port is mapped in "NetNatExternalAddress".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Find-Package has no -ScriptSourceLocation parameter

C:> Find-Package -ProviderName 'NuGet' -ScriptSourceLocation 'https://www.powershellgallery.com/api/v2/items/psscript&#39;
    Find-Package : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'ScriptSourceLocation'.
    At line:1 char:37
    + Find-Package -ProviderName 'NuGet' -ScriptSourceLocation 'https://ww ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Find-Package], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.FindPackage

PS 21:22 C:\src
    C:>$PSVersionTable

Name Value

PSVersion 5.1.18362.145
    PSEdition Desktop
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion 10.0.18362.145
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Find-Package has no -ScriptSourceLocation parameter

C:> Find-Package -ProviderName 'NuGet' -ScriptSourceLocation 'https://www.powershellgallery.com/api/v2/items/psscript&#39;
    Find-Package : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'ScriptSourceLocation'.
    At line:1 char:37
    + Find-Package -ProviderName 'NuGet' -ScriptSourceLocation 'https://ww ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Find-Package], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.FindPackage

PS 21:22 C:\src
    C:>$PSVersionTable

Name Value

PSVersion 5.1.18362.145
    PSEdition Desktop
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion 10.0.18362.145
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. The Option to Display PS Window Name

There is the time that we need to open more than one PowerShell windows at a time and run different CMDLETs for different purposes.
    So if there is the option to show up the purposes of different PS window, it will greatly help us distinguish and find out the currently required PS window.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please add progress bars on taskbar (with TaskbarItemInfo.ProgressValue) to Write-Progress

It would be great to have not only in-window progress bar for my scripts, but the green bar filling up my taskbar as I can see in Copy and other operations. It may be just something like -taskbar... parameter, maybe additionally fitted with ProgressState.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Remove-PrinterDriver with -Force option

The Remove-PrinterDriver cmdlet currently does not offer a -Force option. This becomes a problem when there are network printers mapped via Group Policy that use the driver. When this is the case, PowerShell will return a "The specified driver is in use by one or more printers" error.

PnPUtil offers the ability to force delete a driver even if it is in use. PowerShell's Remove-PrinterDriver cmdlet should offer the same behavior (clearly it is possible).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When running exe in scriptblock antimalware executable gets triggered

I'm attempting to run an executable remotely on a machine that needs updating. Whenever the exe is called, Antimalware Service Executable pops up on the remote machine for a moment, and then nothing else happens.

Code is attached. Unsure if this is user error/known issue/isolated bug

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 83 84
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base