PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ISE updates prematurely

If you run changes (to see how they work), your changes will be updated if you leave ISE. There should be an 'do you want to update changes?' before quiting

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Transcription logs data which is not visible in the console

discovered on windows 10 (1809) with powershell 5.

Name Value

PSVersion 5.1.17763.1007
    PSEdition Desktop
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion 10.0.17763.1007
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

steps to reproduce from a command prompt:

powershell -noprofile
    start-transcript
    try{get-command -name 'boom' -erroraction 'stop'} catch{}
    stop-transcript
    exit

the command prompt correctly shows no indication of an error, since the error was caught.

the transcript will incorrectly show an indication of an error with a line starting ">> TerminatingError".

this behavior does not exist in powershell 2.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PowerShell needs to support right-click copy & paste like a modern shell/terminal interface

Support inline right-click copy and paste for PowerShell. Although this may be an issue specific to PowerShell, MobaXTerm on Windows supports it just fine, so either PowerShell or Windows Terminal is doing something wrong.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Run command as administrator in non administrative session

Similar to "sudo !!" in linux, I'd like a way to run commands that require elevation without having to open a new PowerShell session as admin.

Let me type the command then see a UAC prompt or ask for the password.

This would mostly just apply to a local Windows machine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Get-AuthenticodeSignature only returns first Signature

Get-AuthenticodeSignature only returns the 1st digital signature listed. There can be multiple signatures for a file which can be seen via the file properties.

We should either return a list of signatures or introduce a separate List-AuthenticodeSignature which will allow systems to properly inspect all signatures.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Installation does NOT show the [reload] button

Installing VSCode for Powershell Dev - I followed the instructions in
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/components/vscode/using-vscode?view=powershell-7
    and got stucked at step (2.f) -- where it says after the INSTALL, the INSTALL button turns to RELOAD. Theh to click RELOAD.
    What should I do? Would be highly grateful for some direction.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. In the release version 7.0 the 'update-help' and 'update-help -UICulture en-US' hit an 404 with Powershell running as admi in Administration

In the release version 7.0 the 'update-help' and 'update-help -UICulture en-US' hit an 404 with Powershell running as Administrator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. DISM creates corrupt archive

If two (or more) files are present with the exact same content, where file extension is irrelevant also content of file, as long as its the exactly the same; Dism will create a corrupted archive

e.g.

a.txt & b.txt

Content of both files: 0x6c

Shouldn't this be a case for the dedublication? Both files are separeted inside the wim (Both have only 1 link)

https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45798/thread/db110477b8/

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. "using module" does not provide a way to disable name checking

The Import-Module cmdlet provides a way to silence the warning about unapproved verbs in function/cmdlet names (-DisableNameChecking). There does not seem to be a way to do this via the "using module" statement, which generates unwanted noise (we have our own internal naming conventions).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Test-NetConnection - Please Add Switch to Skip Ping, Too Slow With Ping

On many networks ICMP traffic is dropped, which makes waiting for an ICMP ping pointless. Please change the default behavior to skip the ping test, and/or add a switch to skip the ping test. Test-NetConnection is too slow when querying more than a couple ports on a host.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Are the Name and/or ProcessName properties of Get-Process wrong?

The Name and the ProcessName properties of the Get-Process, Stop-Process and Wait-Process CmdLets seems to use the wrong process names compared to the Win32_Process WMI class and other process related tools such as Windows task manager.
    Where WMI and task manager lists task names like Notepad.exe or Calculator.exe, Get-Process returns just "Notepad" or "Calculator" and Stop-Process requires me to specify these shortened names too.
    I understand that I can get the full name of the executable by specifying the -FileVersionInfo with Get-Process but it still doesn't allow me to search for a process using it's real process name.

Couldn't at…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. add -showprogress in copy-item, move-item

When copying large directories (or large single files) it would be nice to have progress available, so I can judge how long it will take. Adding -ShowProgress would be fantastic.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. [Bug] Flaw in Cmdlet Where-Object: Unexpected output for option -LT when entering a wrong property name

Hello there, not too sure where to post my findings as this is my first time reporting a Windows bug, so I hope I chose the right category.

I discovered a potential bug in the Cmdlet Where-Object which involves the -LT option and misspelling the selection property. I reproduced the error on a clean VM of Windows 10 (please refer to the images attached), although I initially noticed this bug in Windows Server 2016. Instead of no output due to the wrong spelling of the property "Length", the initial output of the command piped into Where-Object is listed. This might…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Modules not recognized in Powershell 5.1

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. After some time I recognized that Ctrl-R (back-i-search) did not work anymore. I tried to follow instructions of #350 to resolve the problem. But when I tried to call Get-PSReadLineOption or Install-Module I got errors.

I also tried deleting the whole powershell folder c:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\ and ran sfc /scannow but still ctrl-r is not working.

Environment

```
    Windows build number: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.592]
    Powershell Version (if applicable):
    Major Minor Build Revision

5 1 18362 145
    ```

Steps to reproduce

Install-Module

Expected behavior

cmdlet Install-Module at command pipeline position 1
    Supply…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Update-Help doesn't work for some modules because HTTP redirection on module's Help URI

Update-Help doesn't work for some modules because there're >10 redirection on module's given Help URI.
    On my machine concerned modules are:
    ConfigDefender, Defender, HgsClient, HgsDiagnostics, Microsoft.PowerShell.Operation.Validation, ShieldedVMDataFile, UEV, Whea, WindowsDeveloperLicense.
    Step to reproduce:
    -Open Windows Powershell 5.1.18362.628 on a Windows 10 1909 machine
    -Type: Update-Help -UICulture en-US -Scope AllUsers -Force -Verbose -Debug

Expected behavior: Help is updated
    Actual behavior: You receive this error: "Update-Help: Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'ConfigDefender, Defender, HgsClient, HgsDiagnostics, Microsoft.PowerShell.Operation.Validation, ShieldedVMDataFile, UEV, Whea, WindowsDeveloperLicense' with UI culture(s) {en-US} : A Help URI cannot contain more than 10 redirections. Specify a valid Help URI.."

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. New-ScheduledTaskTrigger missing option to NOT 'Synchronize across time zones'

New-ScheduledTaskTrigger missing option to NOT 'Synchronize across time zones'

The default is to always set it. This should not be an implied default as it creates problem with Daylight Saving etc.

To remove must do as follows which should not be needed:

$str = Get-ScheduledTask -TaskName TESTTASK

$NewTriggers = @()
    foreach($trigger in $str.Triggers)
    {

if($trigger.StartBoundary -match '\+01:00$')

{
    $Trigger.StartBoundary = $Trigger.StartBoundary.Substring(0,$Trigger.StartBoundary.Length-6)
    }
    $NewTriggers += $trigger

}

$str.Triggers = $NewTriggers
    Set-ScheduledTask -InputObject $str

Please add switch to disable either through New-ScheduledTaskTrigger or via Set-ScheduledTask

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Get-Windowsupdatlog does not work at all when the system is not connected to internet and your documentation is useless

Please bring back the old WindowsUpdateLog we had before. It was usefull and helpful. Get-WindowsUPdateLog on the other hand works great if you are connected to the internet. But if not, you get huge problems. There are multiple documentations not helping at all, because you are permanently keeping on changing anything. Please provide a useful documentation, provide the files we need to get the windowsupdatelog readable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Attributes Directory lists $RECYCLE.BIN

Hello!

With Powershell 6, my target ist to list all folders.

I find no way to exclude $RECYCLE.BIN
    :
    Get-ChildItem -LiteralPath 'D:' -Recurse -Attributes !Hidden+!System+!ReadOnly+!Encrypted+!IntegrityStream+Directory `

-ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

Thank You for advice me

Erhie

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. add-appxpackage does not have -user option.

add it so we can add those packages to specific user without logging in to that specific user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base