PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have separate about_Classes and about_DSC_Classes

The aboutClasses help file should not have any DSC class information except for a "See Also" reference to a separate aboutDSC_Classes, which will of course have lots of details for DSC.

This will help combat the perception that PowerShell classes are not "real" classes for serious programmers, and that PowerShell classes were not added just for the sake of supporting DSC.

The about_Classes file should be further fleshed out so that C#, Java and Python developers will know what to (not) expect when using PowerShell classes.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Update-ModuleManifest flattening FunctionsToExport into a String

Using New-ModuleManifest with FunctionsToExport as an array creates the proper field:

FunctionsToExport = 'function1', 'function2', 'function3'

But if I run Update-ModuleManifest on the manifest file, the FunctionsToExport will get flattened to a single string:

FunctionsToExport = 'function1 function2 function3'

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the lag in returning to this thread.
    From the feedback, it looks like this has been corrected in 5.1, and we are unable to reproduce it internally. If someone can reproduce this with either the 5.1 preview, the client Anniversary Edition, or Server 2016 TP5 (& later) PLEASE reactivate this issue. Thank you!

3. Bug: Get-DscConfigurationStatus doesn't show all resources/configurations

We started to use results from Get-DscConfigurationStatus in our monitoring (SCOM) and while analyzing the results we noticed that some partials are not showing up in the results of this command even though tests/set/get is performed on the target node. After analyzing different methods we found out that:

• MOF documents generated in C:\Windows\System32\Configuration\ConfigurationStatus seem to limit the results to ~40 last items in DSC configuration

• Get-DscConfigurationStatus and Test-DscConfiguration -Detail all use the same source of information, thus provide same, truncated output

• The only reliable source of information is details.json file generate when -Verbose output is requested, but information there is…
    6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. PSSA errors with DSC example files

When publishing DSC resources to the PowerShell Gallery, the PS Script Analyzer incorrectly flags errors any examples with the following error:

Parse error in file ...\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Lability\0.9.8\DSCResources\xHyper-V\Examples\Sample_xVhdFileExamples.ps1: The DSC engine could not load the module 'xHyper-V'. It was not found on the system at line 27 column 9.

I would image that this affects the MS published DSC resources too. Now, I know that this doesn't currently stop the modules from being published, but presumably at some point any errors will reject the module from submission.

We need a reliable way of turning that rule off for example files. The last…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PowerShell Intellisense Broken on Windows 10 1803

Intellisense is broken after upgrading to Windows 10 1803. Only a single white pixel is displayed.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

[UPDATE] Good news! This has been fixed internally already, and may already be showing up in Windows Insider builds. I don’t have an ETA for when the fix will show up for 1803, but it is on the way.

Hey everyone,

I’ve managed to reproduce this issue on my 1803 box, it’s definitely not awesome. Let me get an investigation going on our side to find out what’s going on.

Thanks,
    Joey

6. Help for Get-ChildItem does not document the new -Depth parameter

I am running PS Version 5.0.10586.122, and ran Update-Help (as Administrator) and the documentation for Get-ChildItem still does not include the -Depth parameter, which i read about in another MSDN page here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/wmf/feedback_getchilditem

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Invoke-WebRequest should support -NoProxy parameter

Invoke-WebRequest picks up the system proxy defined in Internet Options by default. It also includes parameters -Proxy, -ProxyCredentials and -ProxyUseDefaultCredentials for changing and managing the proxy that it uses.

It would be very useful to have a -NoProxy parameter that forced a direct web connection. Currently, when this is required, the system proxy has to be disabled.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Get-ComputerInfo: Property BiosSeralNumber is spelled wrong...should be BiosSerialNumber

Get-ComputerInfo: Property BiosSeralNumber is spelled wrong...should be BiosSerialNumber

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PowerShell 5 on Windows 10/Server 2012 HelpFiles are incomplete

Get-Help -Category HelpFile does not return the full list of topics available here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh847856.aspx

This issue is present on clean installs of Windows 10/Server 2012 and there does not appear to be a way of rectifying the issue (Update-Help -Force, Save-Help from other machine, Reset This PC have all been tried).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

This should be fixed. Open PS as administrator and run update-help -force . if that does not resolve the issue, please let me know and i’ll revert the “closed” status.

10. BUG: Import-PSSession no longer works since Win 10 Anniversary Update

Seems to be since Win 10 Anniversary update recently, connecting to Exchange Online gives this error:

Import-PSSession : Could not load type 'System.Management.Automation.SecuritySupport' from assembly 'System.Management.Automation, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.

also reported here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/spark/eb85073b-0234-4f8d-a11d-d6a245286bae?page=3

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Provider help is missing from PowerShell 5.1

The ProviderHelp section of the System.Management.Automation.dll-help.xml file is missing from PowerShell 5.1 and later versions of PowerShell 5.0., including 5.0.10586.494.

As a result, users can't get help for the core providers (except for the certificate provider, which is in the security file), and help is missing for all of the dynamic parameters that the providers add to the cmdlets.

Also, the Security help file has the provider help section, so Get-Help Certificate works, but even though it has the CmdletHelpPaths section, it is not working (not sure why), so there is no help for the dynamic parameters that the Certificate…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fixed and validated on 5.1 / Win10. Thanks for the report, please let me know if any issues remain.

12. Provide PowerShell module or DSC resource to manage Local Security Policy

Its troublesome task to automate management of local security policy. it will be nice if a DSC resource is provided to manage local security policy. if not, then a module that allows exporting, importing, and set/get of individual local security policy item would be very helpful. ability to identify if a particular local security policy is configured via group policy or not will be great too!.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Get-Service does not return the service startup type

This seems like a some kind of weird oversight?
    I can get all kinds of useful info about a service by using get-service, but it won't tell me what the startup type is (Automatic/Manual/Disabled/etc.).
    Please add this to the info returned.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Write-Information should accept pipeline input

All other Write-* cmdlets accept pipeline input, which makes it possible to write, for example:

Get-Foo | Set-Bar -PassThru | Out-String | Write-Verbose

instead of the more cumbersome:

Write-Verbose (Get-Foo | Set-Bar -PassThru | Out-String)

Write-Information would be more convenient to use if it accepted pipeline input, too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Help about* doesn't return about_ topics

I'm unable to find almost all about topics (ie. aboutarrays) in Powershell 5.0 in both Windows 10 x64 Professional EN-US and PL-PL.
    The only topic I can find by typeing: help about* is aboutCimSession.

I've already tried to run:
    update-help -force
    and
    update-help -UICulture en-us
    and
    update-help -UICulture en-us -force

Unfortunately, this doesn't resolve the problem.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We had a bunch of issues with about_ topics in help, but by my testing they should all be resolved now.
    Please open an adminstrative PS prompt and run
    update-help -force
    and let me know if this does NOT fix the issue.

16. Duplicate PSModulePath Entries Cause Module Resolution Errors

Some overly helpful installer added 'C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules' to my system PSModulePath environment variable. This had the effect of duplicating from within PowerShell, so it looked like this when I typed $env:PSModulePath (split for clarity):

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\ResourceManager\AzureResourceManager\;
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\ServiceManagement\;
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\Storage\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\PowerShell\Modules\;
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Message Analyzer\PowerShell\;
    - C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;
    - C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\;
    • C:\Users\tomta\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\;

The effect was to cause Get-Module to see the same module twice, even though it was installed once.
    It also caused Import-Module and Publish-AzureVMDscConfiguration to fail due to inability to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. about_Escape_Characters doesn't mention syntax requirements

Please mention that, when using a backtick as a continuation character, there must be no trailing space (or it escapes the space) and there must be a preceding space or the preceding token must be enclosed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bug: WMF5 Pull Server has limited functionality in core

While the pull server can be installed on server core, the new WMF5 ConfigurationNames feature will not function properly unless it is installed on a full installation of windows server.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. A revolutionary idea! Actually fill out your own documentation!

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt426620.aspx

Working with Windows PowerShell

Updated: August 9, 2012
    Insert introduction here.
    Section Heading
    Insert section body here.
    Subsection Heading
    Insert subsection body here.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. ISE Preview crashes at launch

ISE Preview fails to launch "powershell_ise has stopped working"

Was installed with
    find-module -Name PowerShellISE-preview | Install-Module

and tried
    find-module -Name PowerShellISE-preview | Install-Module -Scope CurrentUser

and (just incase)
    find-module -Name PowerShellISE-preview | Install-Module
    -Scope AllUsers -Verbose

(Module was removed each time)
    it Installs OK but will not launch

Both PC's are on fast ring builds (both are on different versions of fast ring build 11099.rs1release.160109-1156 and 14251.rs1release.160124-1059)

current user has admin rights (and running elevated prompt)
    NOTE: User has redirected documents folder

Created a new temp user (with admin rights) also has same issue (no redirected folders)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base