PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. BUG: have followed all instruction to load my custom module yet can only load by path

I have the execution policy set Unrestricted, I've added the folder to the modules path, I have a module in the folder with the same name as the folder, yet I can only load the modules by file path. Any idea why? I need modules to load other modules, I'd like my own folder, and I'd like to not have to keep calling scripts in the same folder.

PS C:\Users\russell.GOISC> $env:PSModulePath
    [...];C:\Projects\OI2\SiteMaintenanceScripts\PowerShellModules

PS C:\Users\russell.GOISC> Get-ExecutionPolicy
    Unrestricted

PS C:\Users\russell.GOISC> Import-Module EZTNameExtensions -Verbose
    Import-Module : The specified module 'EZTNameExtensions' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any module…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Get-Counter throws NullReferenceException in Powershell 5.0.10586.122

PS C:\Users\Josh> get-counter
    get-counter : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    At line:1 char:1
    + get-counter
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Counter], NullReferenceException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCounterCommand

PS C:\Users\Josh> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Major Minor Build Revision

5 0 10586 122

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. WMF5.0 Prod Preview (KB3066437) installation problem

BUG: WMF5.0 Prod Preview (KB3066437) cannot be installed anymore on 2012 R2
    Since yesterday when I launch WMF5.0 Prod Preview (KB3066437) installation an error message box show up : "the timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified or is malformed"

Indeed : Microsoft Time-Stamp Service certificate is out of date : 20/06/2016 !

How can I install this Preview version without changing date time on the server (SQL Production server !) ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide Simple Instructions on Publishing to the PowerShell Gallery

Hi!

Problem:
    There aren't any official, friendly resources on publishing PowerShell modules. (e.g. https://twitter.com/Josh_Atwell/status/707940487517196288)

Why does it matter:
    We have less than 1,000 modules in the gallery. Sure, you started late, but this is an order of magnitude fewer than repositories like RubyGems, PyPI, CPAN, and more. Regardless of accuracy, would be nice if PowerShell was anywhere close to others on this chart: http://www.modulecounts.com/

Libraries (modules here) are key to the growth and use of a language. The more libraries available, the more useful PowerShell will be across use cases (beyond admin...), the more folks will get involved, and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Marking this completed, but willing to change that if you disagree…
    There are 2 topics in the PowerShell Gallery documentation that were written to address this:
    1> For the basic mechanics, see Creating and Publishing an item (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/gallery/psgallery/creating-and-publishing-an-item)
    2> For best practices, see the Publishing Guidelines topic (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/gallery/psgallery/psgallery-PublishingGuidelines)

If those do not address the ask, please let us know, either here, or in an issue in our PowerShell documentation repo at github.com/powershell/powershell-docs.

6. Error while save/install Azure.Storage module

Error while save/install Azure.Storage module, tried it couple of times, so i am sure it is not internet problem.

PS> Install-Module Azure.Storage
    WARNING: Package 'Azure.Storage' failed to download ....

also tried for specific version, but same error.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This post had no additional feedback, however there were issues with the Azure modules that were addressed by the Azure team, and that look to be similar.
    Lacking additional information, we are marking this item complete.

7. Powershell in Visual Studio?

Why isn't Powershell natively supported in Visual Studio?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. PowerShell Jobs / Error Handling

While I was creating a script for running SQL scripts, I needed a way
    to control the chaos that was a script running scripts.

To do this, I used jobs in PowerShell.

For the purpose of this post, $job is the current element for $jobs = Get-Job

While I was attempting to gather the output of the error messages, I noticed the following behavior:

The job state would sometimes be completed, but with an error message stored in $job.ChildJobs[0].Error.

The job state would sometimes be failed, and have an error in $job.ChildJobs[0].Error.

Sometimes the JobStateInfo property would have the failure…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. connect network drive with credentials

Hi there

it isn't possible to connect to an password-protected network drive via powershell only.

The easiest solution is to use the old "net use" command because there its possible to add credentials.

Powershell should be able to connect to network drives without old commands and huge workarounds.

And before all are screaming about security - no one knows my environment and don´t know about the level of security I need.
    Also when I´m using (have to use) the net use command the security stops when someone else can read the script.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. I can't get the 'about comment based help' item to appear under get-help

BTW, where do you post problems (I wouldn't know if it was an actual bug, maybe I haven't loaded something). I did do the update-help. When I try to do tab completion it is stuck on the first about: aboutWS-ManagementCmdlets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

This should be fixed, there was an underlying issue with the about_ topics.
    Open PS as administrator and run update-help -force . if that does not resolve the issue, please let me know and i’ll revert the “closed” status.

11. Bug: Can't clear command buffer (it persists after PS restart)

If a bit of sensitive info got onto the command buffer, clearing it via Alt+F7 doesn't work. All I have to do to view the command buffer again is restart PowerShell. Can't find any way to clear the command buffer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bug in Get-Hotfix

Hi!

There is actually a bug in Get-Hotfix:

PS C:> get-culture

LCID Name DisplayName

1033 en-US English (United States)

PS C:> get-hotfix

Source Description HotFixID InstalledBy InstalledOn

ERUDAE Update KB3124200 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 01-Jun-16 00:00:00
    ERUDAE Update KB3124262 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    ERUDAE Security Update KB3124263 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    ERUDAE Security Update KB3135173 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 02-Oct-16 00:00:00
    ERUDAE Security Update KB3135782 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 02-Oct-16 00:00:00
    ERUDAE Update KB3139907 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 03-Feb-16 00:00:00
    ERUDAE Update KB3140743 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 03-Feb-16 00:00:00

My computer has been updated just today (March 2nd 2016). But in Powershell we see something like 03/02/2016 which is wrongly translated to 03-Feb-2016. I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. BUG: WMF 5.0 RTM not installing on Windows server 2012 R2

I am trying to install W2K12-KB3134759-x64.msu and get an error saying the update is not applicable to this computer
    The server is windows 2012R2, WMF 4.0, .NET 4.5 is installed and it has all the latest security patches from February 2016. Any ideas what could cause this error. The WMF 5.0 technical preview was never installed on this server

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

Hi Gabriel,

The package you are attempting to install (W2K12-KB3134759-x64.msu) is meant for Windows Server 2012, not 2012 R2.

Please try the installation with the correct package (Win8.1AndW2K12R2-KB3134758-x64.msu) and let us know if you experience any other issues.

Further details on the packages and requirements, along with the installation details are available at: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/wmf/requirements

Thanks,
    Neema

14. Make it easier to provide multilingual help and help for binary cmdlets

Writing MAML help is hard. There are some editors which make it easier, but nothing that really fits our needs. Sapien's editor is pretty good, but when you look at the changes it makes in a diff tool, it's hard to rationalise that with the buttons you clicked.

Some possible options include:
    * More / better / simpler choices for the format of the help. Simpler XML, simple JSON, simple Markdown, simple comment-based help.

• Better editors in VS and the ISE

• Scaffold cmdlets to help you generate the MAML code

My personal favourite is allowing the comment-based help to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. The term 'Find-Module' is not recognized

Getting this error while: installing on Find-Module : The term 'Find-Module' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
    program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

using windows 10 build 14251.rs1_release.160124-1059

At line:1 char:1
    + Find-Module -Name PowerShellISE-preview -AllVersions | Select-Object ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Find-Module:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bug: Limit of 9 DependsOn PartialConfigurations

When testing Partial Configurations in WMF5 Production Preview I am unable to run Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager if my [DSCLocalConfigurationManager()] Configuration has more than 9 Partial Configurations with the DependsOn parameter.

Exception details:
    $.CategoryInfo:
    Category : ResourceUnavailable
    Activity :
    Reason : CimException
    TargetName : root/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration:MSFT
    DSCLocalConfigurationManager
    TargetType : String

$_.Exception:
    The WS-Management service cannot process the request. The WMI service or the WMI provider returned an unknown
    error: HRESULT 0x80041033

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Andrew,

This was a known issue that should be fixed on both WMF 5 RTM and the latest version of Windows 10.

I know that you’re still patiently awaiting the final release of WMF 5 RTM. If you still run into this problem after the RTM release (or if you run into the same problem on a fully patched Windows 10 machine), feel free to post back here.

Thanks,
    Joey

17. Using Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive module in earlier versions

I can get the v5.0 archive module to work in earlier versions of Powershell by changing lines 727, 798, and 801 from "new" to New-Object as shown here:

$buffer = New-Object byte[] $bufferSize

$srcStream = New-Object System.IO.BinaryReader($currentFileStream)

$destStream = New-Object System.IO.BinaryWriter($currentArchiveEntry.Open())

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. PowerShell Gallery Page still links to Connect

Please update the PowerShell Gallery website to remove the reference to Connect

Example is at the bottom of the following page in the Got a question? Have feedback? section

http://www.powershellgallery.com/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Azure DSC VM Extension 2.10 'AddressWidth' bug

When deploying the Azure DSC Extension on 2008 R2 x64 VMs with more than one processor, the Extension fails to install with the following error:

[ERROR] Property 'AddressWidth' cannot be found on this object. Make sure that it exists.

The issue exists within the 'Install.psm1' module, function GetOSVersion. The function attempts to determine the architecture of the VM's processor using the following code:

$processor = Get-WmiObject Win32_Processor

and then checks the architecture with this:

IsX64 = $processor.AddressWidth -eq 64

but on this and other machines, more than one 'Win32_Processor' object is returned with the Get-WMIObject call, thus $processor is an…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. PowerShell SDK

WMF 5.0 just released. Where is the latest PowerShell SDK? V2.0? V3.0?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base