PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add PowerShell tab and examples to .NET reference pages in MSDN

Votes from Connect: 391

Original Date Submitted: 5/21/2015 12:20:32 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: June Blender
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 1351032

Problem Description:
    PowerShell users often read .NET reference pages in MSDN. It's all but required, because Get-Help doesn't describe object members. However, in the Examples section of .NET reference pages, there are no PowerShell examples; not even a PowerShell tab.

MSDN says they cannot demonstrate a demand for PowerShell examples. I'd like to use this feature request to demonstrate the demand.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 1351032 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=1351032).

222 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

22 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. DSC: Should allow Credentials with Blank Passwords, so you can use GMSA accounts

For some reason DSC errors out with a credential object contains a null password. Unfortunately that is the mechanism use to set group managed service accounts.
    Here is a link to a relevant bug in xWebAdministration: https://github.com/PowerShell/xWebAdministration/issues/80#issuecomment-171364644

And here is an example of the output your recieve when you attempt to use a managed service account:

"VERBOSE: [COMPUTERNAME]: LCM: [ End Test ] [[xWebAppPool]testpool] in 0.0070 seconds.
    The password supplied to the Desired State Configuration resource MSFT_xWebAppPool is not valid. The password cannot be null or empty.

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [], CimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidPassword
    + PSComputerName
    114 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    survey  ·  Mark Gray responded

Thanks for the feedback! I have personally heard this request from a number of customers. IMHO having the ability to use GMS accounts would be a quite useful in DSC configurations. If this is an important feature for you as well, vote it up so that we can appropriately prioritize it as we move forward.

MarkG

3. OpenSource the Pull Server

Advances to the current PullServer are, quite frankly, slow and moving in a direction questionable to most MVPs. Microsoft should follow their own lead they took with the DSC modules: opensource it and place it on GitHub so that the community can invest in making a tool that we'd actually like to use.

Example of features still missing that everyone wants:
    1. certificate management (use self-signed or pki)
    2. web interface for compliance reporting

Example of features added that are questionable/actually bad ideas:
    1. partial configurations (multiple pull server sources, mofs, and reports all being managed by the node? who…

96 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Justin,

We totally understand that a robust Pull server / central management solution is something that is critical to your success with DSC. We have invested quite heavily in Azure Automation DSC (AA DSC) to fill many of these needs. With that said, I would be very interested to understand if the AA DSC solution does not work for you (and other customers) and why? Vote and comment if this is important to you.

Also interesting feedback on our ‘bad ideas’. Thanks!

MarkG

4. Enable service restart and similar scenarios in DSC configurations

Renamed from "Provide additional resource control methods in DSC" for clarity
    Votes from Connect: 13

Original Date Submitted: 5/28/2015 12:15:20 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Ben Gelens
    Feedback ID: 1373894

Problem Description:
    Scenario:
    A MOF file is compiled for a node serving a website. The service resource is used to declare the W3SVC service to be started and the file resource is used to copy in the web content.
    Next an update is deployed to the website by compiling a new MOF file and for the new content to become active, the W3SVC service needs to be…

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PowerShell ISE - Pane breakout for multi monitor use

Votes from Connect: 23

Original Date Submitted: 10/31/2011 9:54:18 PM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: FuriouS76
    Feedback ID: 698161

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: Yes, this happens in all previous versions

Problem Description:
    I have tried many of the IDE/ISE options out there and prefer Windows ISE. The one feature I would like to see is the ability to undock or break out each pane across multiple monitors. This would allow users in multi-monitor setups to configure the ISE in an ideal setup that would allow faster coding / debugging.

Thanks,
    Kirk Hammond.

Product Studio item created by Connect…

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a very difficult thing to implement, it could potentially break many of the add-ons, and could introduce some very confusing UI elements.

That said, we’re interested to get more ideas from you for how something like this might work. Feel free to post your comments below.

Thanks,
    Joey

6. Add a "Compile" verb

PowerShell needs a Compile verb, especially in a world of DevOps. Looking at the approved verb list, there are mediocre subtitutes that could be used in its place (Start-Compilation, Invoke-Compile, etc.), but these all use an inappropriate verb with the a variant of the verb in the noun. When the verb is finding its way into the noun, it's time for a new verb. Please add Compile to the list of approved verbs in an upcoming release.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    survey  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

Thank you for your input. Based on its current ranking compared to other feedback items and product schedule, work on this item is pending (and will be driven by) further customer input.

7. Add a GET function to DSC Report Server Webservice

Add a GET method to the DSC webservice so that we can query the database for data other than individual node data which you have to know the Agent ID. If I want to build status dashbaord for all of my DSC nodes I then have to store and manage Agent ID's in another CMDB so I can query the webservice individually for each agent status. We used to have this capability in WMF 4 but it seems this is no longer possible with the reporting changes in WMF 5.

See https://github.com/PowerShell/xPSDesiredStateConfiguration/issues/98
    and https://github.com/dfinke/ODataExplorer/issues/1

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback, Sebastian! I have changed the status to survey to get a better feel for how important this is for customers in general.

MarkG

8. Allow splatting without an intermediate variable.

instead of
    $splat = @{name = "value"}
    verb-noun @splat

Allow verb-noun @{name = "value"}

This would make for a much cleaner and more natural look to parameters. Letting them be in the usual place of after and below the function.

There is a stackoverflow question relating to this, that should explain it more - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35188172/why-do-i-need-to-splat-to-a-variable-first

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your input. Based on its current ranking compared to other feedback items and product schedule, work on this item is pending (and will be driven by) further customer input. If you did not open this issue and are also impacted by it, please vote this item up.

9. Returning information from DSC Resource to another

I know this has been discussed, just wanted to make sure to have it in UserVoice. It would be great if it was possible to return information from a resources, so that a later resource could use that information for configuration at runtime.

Example. My configuration apply a new certificate. I would like to write a resource that can get the new certificate thumbprint so that a future resources in the config can use that thumbprint. This is something that Chef allows.

So, something like a global variable that lives during runtime of the config.

Thanks for considering!!

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  5 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. github integration for ISE

this may be something that MS is hoping an add-on fixes down the road, but I'd just like to voice that it would be awesome to be able to sync/create/merge branches directly with github from within ISE. Even as an infrastructure admin things would move so much smoother if I didn't have to "tool hop".

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion. Given the number of requests, we cannot field all recommendations, so for now we’ll be monitoring this to see if there is broad support.

11. Add support for TLS 1.2 (Invoke-WebRequest, Invoke-RestMethod)

Invoke-WebRequest and Invoke-RestMethod commands only support TLS 1.0 protocol. We need to have a native support for newer TLS (1.2) versions for modern web interfaces.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

changing to Survey based on Joonas’ comment below – request is to have a flag to force TLS 1.2.

12. Add a PowerShell module to manage Windows Updates

Add a PowerShell module to manage Windows Updates like you can now with the GUI. Like checking for updates, installing all updates, or a selection of updates, creating a report of pending updates, etc. The Windows Update options in the Server Configuration Manager (sconfig) are very limited.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t own the creation of modules for operating system features. I’ll mark this as Survey so we can provide this information to the WU team, but you might also want to consider filing this in the Windows 10 Feedback Hub. Also, see the community-created PSWindowsUpdate link below :)

13. Write-Progress output is not displayed properly when multiple ISE tabs are open in PowerShell 3.0

Votes from Connect: 11

Original Date Submitted: 2/6/2013 3:35:55 AM

Description:

Contact Information
    Handle: DougBB
    Feedback ID: 778597

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: No, this is new to the most recent version

Problem Description:
    Under certain circumstances, when Write-Progress is used in Windows PowerShell ISE and a new tab is opened, the Write-Progress output does not display properly. Closing tabs makes it appear.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 778597 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=778597).

Repro Steps:
    1. Run "powershell_ise.exe -noprofile"
    2. Paste the following code in the script pane:

$i = 1..100

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Collapsed region in dark mode is hardly visible

When using the dark theme in ISE, a collapsed region is hardly visible because the font color is black and the background darkblue. There is no way the set the colors for a collapse region in the theme editor.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  4 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Create a SendTo-SysLog cmdlet and include it by default

Please include by default a SendTo-Syslog cmdlet to send log messages to UNIX, Linux and SIEMs.

If you were to add a syslog service role to send or accept syslog messages in a scalable way which integrated with the Windows event logs, that would be great too, but a cmdlet to just send UDP packets is easy enough to include in PoSh 5.1 right now.

Thanks!

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Would be interested in understanding the scenario where you are using the cmdlet & specifying the reason for rebooting. To explain: our previous assumption was that users would EITHER use the server UI that captured this information, OR use the cmdlet (often so they didn’t need to supply that reason text).
    So, what would help is to understand in what situations the cmdlet is being used and specifying the reboot explanation is desirable.

17. The -ToSession parameter for copy-item should accept multiple sessions

The Copy-Item cmdlet now supports copying to a remote session. I typically work against a farm of servers and do something like
    $s = new-pssession server1, server2, server3.
    I want to be able to do copy c:\file.txt -tosession $s -destination c:\file.txt.

Right now, I get an error saying cannot convert an array of objects to a System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PSSession object. I had to copy the file 3 different times to each session.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your input. Based on its current ranking compared to other feedback items and product schedule, work on this item is pending (and will be driven by) further customer input. If you did not open this issue and are also impacted by it, please vote this item up.

18. Get-ComputerInfo should have remoting capabilities

Get-ComputerInfo was introduced in PowerShell Desktop 5.1.14361.0 and provides the ability to return various information about the local computer. It would be very useful if this cmdlet could also query remote computers, without relying on PowerShell Remoting.
    For example:
    Get-ComputerInfo -ComputerName SRV01

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add A "Start In" Directory for Enter-PSSession

By default, we are placed into Documents (at least I am), then have to change directories. It would be nice to be able to specify a directory we'd like to start in using Enter-PSSession.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  WinRM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. about_Language_Keywords is missing 4.0-5.0 keywords

aboutLanguageKeywords for PowerShell 5.0 (https://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh847744.aspx) is missing all of the new keywords for PowerShell 4.0 and 5.0, including critical keywords, such as Configuration, Class, and Enum.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base