PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.

Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Drop Uservoice and open a GitHub repo for tracking issues

Seriously. How is this any good for tracking issues? You "upvote" an issue? Cmon.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Pure Pain: Preinstalled PS Modules - Please Rationalize Them with Package Management Installs

I am trying to update Pester on Windows 2016 to 4.x because the preshipped Pester 3.4.0 emits a note about the depreciation of the -quiet switch when I use the quiet switch. This get's scooped into stdout when executing via AWS SSM remote commands. Version 3.x complains it does not understand "-Show None".

I want to update to 4.x - in which I ran into all the problems documented here: https://github.com/OneGet/oneget/issues/215

But ended up with "Install-module pester -force -SkipPublisherCheck.

So far so bad, but when I go to remove the 3.4.0 version (with admin rights) from: 'c:\program files\windowspowershell\modules\pester\3.4.0' I get…

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The issues you have encountered can be frustrating, sorry that is the case for you.

Moving this to Survey to try to gauge the scope of the problem for users generally.

We are somewhat limited by security requirements: what ships with Windows will always be tagged so that nothing can replace it easily unless it is signed by Microsoft. While Pester is part of Windows, it is not owned or developed by Microsoft, so updates delivered via the Gallery cannot be Microsoft signed.

Once the Gallery version is installed on a system, -SkipPublisherCheck is no longer required for future updates. That first experience, however, is bad.

This leaves us with a dilemma: do we stop shipping Pester in with PowerShell in the future, or do we continue to provide the feature set knowing users who update from the Gallery will encounter these issues?

Looking for feedback from as many users…

• RSS Feed for Modules

It is currently hard to get notifications when PowerShell modules get updated. It would be nice if there would be an RSS feed for new versions of a package, then my RSS reader could notify me that a new version is available and I could take action.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add a PowerShell module to manage Windows Updates

Add a PowerShell module to manage Windows Updates like you can now with the GUI. Like checking for updates, installing all updates, or a selection of updates, creating a report of pending updates, etc. The Windows Update options in the Server Configuration Manager (sconfig) are very limited.

32 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t own the creation of modules for operating system features. I’ll mark this as Survey so we can provide this information to the WU team, but you might also want to consider filing this in the Windows 10 Feedback Hub. Also, see the community-created PSWindowsUpdate link below :)

• Why can't Acrobat save these PowerShell articles?

I've tried several ways to capture the PowerShell documentation into a single PDF file which I find much more convenient instead of clicking around a Microsoft site. Acrobat just locks up. I've never seen it behave this way before.

It places PowerShell out of reach for those of us trying to learn new tools.

Please try it yourself. Acrobat XI Pro.
            - Use the browser plugin "create PDF from webpage"
            - Or start with Acrobat "create PDF"
            - Or Browser / Save as html complete

Print to PDF is inadequate because webpage links are missing and on the PowerShell pages,…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Bring the Azure Automation DSC MOF encryption into the on-premises DSC pull server

In Azure Automation DSC the whole MOF file gets encrypted without the need to manually issue certificates for every node and then to collect the public keys.

From Azure documentation:
              "Keeping credentials secure in node configurations (MOF configuration documents) requires encrypting the credentials in the node configuration MOF file. Azure Automation takes this one step further and encrypts the entire MOF file."

This extremely useful feature sould also be implemented in the on-premises DSC pull server. Especially because the needed functionality must alread be in the WMF 5 as nothing more than WMF 5 is needed to use the Azure…

6 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Collapsed region in dark mode is hardly visible

When using the dark theme in ISE, a collapsed region is hardly visible because the font color is black and the background darkblue. There is no way the set the colors for a collapse region in the theme editor.

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Cmdlet version compatibility

We need to define with wich version of Powershel and which operating system cmdlets are compatible.

Could we have this compatibility matrix for each cmdlet in the documentation and also in the help section of each cmdlet?

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • 12 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Would be interested in understanding the scenario where you are using the cmdlet & specifying the reason for rebooting. To explain: our previous assumption was that users would EITHER use the server UI that captured this information, OR use the cmdlet (often so they didn’t need to supply that reason text).
                      So, what would help is to understand in what situations the cmdlet is being used and specifying the reboot explanation is desirable.

• Copy headers when copying from Out-GridView

It would be great to copy headers for all the columns when copying data from the Out-GridView table lists.

7 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add enhanced reporting, allowing you to view the status of all nodes instead of one at a time.

Currently, the DSC reporting server only offers the ability to query a single node at a time. I think for any environment, it would be crucial to get a list of the last reported compliance for all nodes. I'd really like to see this feature added in a future release.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Curated Module Lists

The PowerShell gallery should allow users to create "lists" of modules (think of it as an Amazon wish list).

A user could create a "favorites" list and add modules and scripts to it to keep track of their favorites over time (maybe even "subscribe" to notifications of new releases of things on the list).

A user could also create a "user management modules" list or a "stretching PowerShell's limits" list or a "should have been in the box" list, or a "things I use in my prompt" list ...

But most importantly, users should be able to SHARE those lists,…

13 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • [BUG] Count property incorrect works with a single WMI object

You can now use Count or Length on any object, even if it didn’t have the property. If the object didn’t have a Count or Length property, it will will return 1 (or 0 for $null). Objects that have Count or Length properties will continue to work as they always have.

# Returns nothing,but should be
                            PS > (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem).Count
                            PS > (Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_OperatingSystem).Count

#Works as expected
                            PS > (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem -Filter "Name=1").Count
                            PS > (Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_OperatingSystem -Filter "Name=1").Count
                            PS > (Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_Service).Count
                            PS > (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Service).Count

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I can repro this for sure, but given the difficulty of servicing and the impact of the bug, it’s pretty unlikely to get fixed.

One possible workaround: (Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_OperatingSystem -Filter “Name=1″ | Measure-Object).Count

• Export-ISEState options

Export-ISEState should have the ability to 'Save current tab', 'Save specific tabs' and 'Save all tabs'

Default should remain 'Save all tabs'

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Duplicate help files in PSWorkflow module break Get-Help

At some point in the 5.0 time period, Update-Help installed About topic files in the en-US directory for the PSWorkflow module with .txt (not .help.txt) file name extensions.

e.g. about_Foreach-Parallel.txt

Later, this was fixed and Update-Help installed the same help files in the same directory with the (correct) ".help.txt" file name extension.

e.g. about_Foreach-Parallel.help.txt

Now, the PSWorkflow\en-US directory has 9 pairs of files that are identical except for the file name extension.

about_ActivityCommonParameters.help.txt
                                about_ActivityCommonParameters.txt
                                about_Checkpoint-Workflow.help.txt
                                about_Checkpoint-Workflow.txt
                                about_Foreach-Parallel.help.txt
                                about_Foreach-Parallel.txt
                                about_InlineScript.help.txt
                                about_InlineScript.txt
                                about_Parallel.help.txt
                                about_Parallel.txt
                                about_Sequence.help.txt
                                about_Sequence.txt
                                about_Suspend-Workflow.help.txt
                                about_Suspend-Workflow.txt
                                about_WorkflowCommonParameters.help.txt
                                about_WorkflowCommonParameters.txt
                                about_Workflows.help.txt
                                about_Workflows.txt

Get-Help should ignore the .txt files (must have changed in…

8 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Allow Environment Variable as default value for function parameter.

When defining a function, I would like to use an environment variable as the default value. If the environment variable exists and has a value that value will be used. For example,

function Get-Info ([Alias("name")] [Parameter(Mandatory=$true, ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName=$true)] [string] $projectName = $env:Project_Name)
                                  {
                                  }

Instead of having to passing in the Project Name for each call I would like to store it in an environment variable. When I do it would allow me to call Get-Info with no parameters and the value in the environment variable would be used. If the environment variable does not exist or is empty the user…

17 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • encourage youth to PowerShell

It would be a great motivation for young admins (e.g. students) to start learn PowerShell if it out of a box has commands concerning desktop computers in a workgroup environment. I think of managing local users, groups, dealing with screen resolution or power management, system updates - just simple stuff for everyday use.

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Ability to delete unlisted module with no downloads

It would be nice to be able to delete a module that hasn't been downloaded yet and is unlisted. I made a mistake in publishing a module which I unlisted before anyone downloaded it. There is no benefit to me or anyone having it remain in the gallery.

None of the follwing published reasons for disallowing deletions apply:

1. Other items may depend on that item. Those items might not necessarily be in this gallery.
                                      2. Ensures that folks using items without committing the same will not be broken.
                                      3. Helps ensure that important community owned items are not mass…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We understand the ask, & are leaving it as Survey to gauge the interest level.

For now, you can use the Contact Us link to specify the item & version that you want deleted. Specify why you feel that this is something that should not be left in the Gallery, providing more detail is likely to help.
                                        The Gallery operations team will investigate and, if it meets what is actually a very high bar, will delete it.

• Out-Gridview should provide a count of the number of objects displayed

It would be very useful if Out-Gridview provided a build in display of the number of objects in the grid. This could be in a status bar at the bottom or at the top along with the Add Criteria button.

This would update as the filters are applied. It would also be nice if the selected items had a count as well.

It would be especially useful with -passthru as you could have an estimate on the number of objects being passed to the next cmdlet in the pipeline.

You can come up with the count by using measure-object, but…

10 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It would certainly be cool, but we’re not really investing in Out-GridView at this point in time. I’ll leave this open as a Survey to see if the demand surpasses our bar (though I’d caveat that demand would have to be fairly high).

Thanks,
                                          Joey

• ConfigurationAST should include resource modules being imported

The ConfigurationAST added in v4 for PowerShell DSC does a good job at providing resource configuration details. However, to determine what modules are being imported, we should still use the keyword AST to find the resource module names from the Import-DSCResource command. While this is a workaround, it will be easier if ConfigurationAST can provide this information for simplicity.

14 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base