Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

Cannot build a binary module referencing 3.0 SMA.dll on Windows 10 without having to retarget to .NET 4.5

Votes from Connect: 5

Original Date Submitted: 9/21/2015 7:09:45 AM

Description:
********Contact Information********
Handle: Keith Hill MVP
Site Name: PowerShell
Feedback ID: 1816181

Frequency: Other
Regression: Try to build a binary module on Windows 10 RTM with VS 2015. Reference the 3.0 SMA.dll reference assembly. This will fail to compile.

Problem Description:
When I try to build PSCX on Windows 10 - referencing System.Management.Automation.dll version 3.0 in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies folder, I get a build error in VS 2015:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1819,5): warning MSB3275: The primary reference "System.Management.Automation, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL" could not be resolved because it has an indirect dependency on the assembly "Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.Native, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" which was built against the ".NETFramework,Version=v4.5" framework. This is a higher version than the currently targeted framework ".NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client".

The only way I could work around this is to retarget to .NET 4.5 but I suspect that means my module won't work on Windows 7 system that are still running .NET 4.0.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 1816181 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=1816181).

Repro Steps:
Try to build a binary module on Windows 10 RTM with VS 2015. Reference the 3.0 SMA.dll reference assembly. This will fail to compile.

Expected Results:
I would have expected Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.Native 1.0.0.0 not to have jumped from .NET 4.0 to 4.5. I can see having a 2.0.0.0 that uses 4.5 that lives side-by-side with 1.0.0.0 that still uses .NET 4.0.

Internal BugId: 15832

1 vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminJoey Aiello [MSFT] (Program Manager, Windows Server) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base