Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

PowerShell Core for linux

PowerShell Core will run in Windows Sever 2016 core that contains only the .net core.

Now that .net core is available for linux.. would nice to create and run powershell script on linux! Not asking to port all Microsoft cmdlets just basic one that allow to script things in linux like invoke-restmethod, etc

339 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MátéMáté commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow... Just wow... I'm speechless. This is the best IT news of the past 6 months.

• Juho LehtoJuho Lehto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Zachary Alexander: This is unbelievable news. I am at a loss of words here, simply a stunning announcement out of nowhere. Thank you!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 one of the main advantages PowerShell has over something like bash is its object pipeline (versus stream pipelines used in bash, zsh, csh, etc.). if that could be carried over to linux, i think it's a huge win

Matthew, the powershell scripting language is great but of course the great point is automation as you said.

For sysadmins that use linux/macos and have to work with and automate operation in hyperv/vmware is a great benefit if they can run VMware PowerCLI or Hyper-V CLI cmdlets from their Mac or Linux, or Azure cmdlets. Many consultant/admins/presales have Macbooks and would love to be able to run those cmdlets on Mac.

• Matthew Reynolds [MSFT, but not powershell team]Matthew Reynolds [MSFT, but not powershell team] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm struggling with the use cases on this (there a couple of good ones below, but wondering if that is enough). To me the point of powershell isn't the scripting language, but how it was the framework for making everything in Windows (over time) and MSFT server products automatable.
        Certainly bringing over a powershell runtime, shell, and the language to Linux would make a neat demo-- but for a Linux/Mac admin it is Just Another Scripting Language which is beside the point of Powershell (in my mind).

I think issue name should be changed to PowerShell Core for linux & MacOs.

Many sysadmins now uses MacBooks and they also can benefit from using Powershell Core for automating/scripting tasks, manage Nano Server, Azure or other infrastructures using powershell, create scripts, etc

I am excited about cross-platform .net core and the possibility to run PowerShell Core on linux and Mac.

Hope MS can confirms this soon so we can start creating amazing scripts on linux and mac!

• Eugene BekkerEugene Bekker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An interesting observation, since PowerShell 5.1, there are now 2 different editions of PowerShell, Desktop (the normal one) and Core, which is based on .NET Core and is initially targetted for Nano server. Seems like it would be a natural progression to allow PowerShell Core Edition to target any platform that runs Core.

Me thinks this is pby already in the works...

Arie, Not sure how powershell for docker helps this. That powershell module is just a module to manage docker in windows. We are asking for running powershell scripts in linux.

• TheCruzerTheCruzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes, yes... One of the absolute most useful capabilities for us SA's would be the ability to store the results of commands in variables, especially when those results take literally hours across many devices to generate 'per run'. Followed by the ability to perform additional filtering on that stored data to 'extract what we want' and then save it (Export-Clixml), just to re-import and continue where we left off the next day (Import-Clixml... with nearly full object data intact). GIVE ME!

I agree on this, start by making the powershell core script language engine available on linux and include basic core cmdlets like invoke-restmethod, invoke-webrequest, etc

We provide our customer with a CLI to interact with our REST services. They are happy with the windows powershell CLI, but for linux out cli sucks! Having the same experience on linux using powershell will be amazing, it makes so easy.

Then later you can expand the number of cmdlets, add support for azure powershell cmdlets on linux, etc etc

Powershell remoting and remote ps session would be also great to remote manage windows server from linux!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base