Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

Allow Environment Variable as default value for function parameter.

When defining a function, I would like to use an environment variable as the default value. If the environment variable exists and has a value that value will be used. For example,

function Get-Info ([Alias("name")] [Parameter(Mandatory=$true, ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName=$true)] [string] $projectName = $env:Project_Name)
{
}

Instead of having to passing in the Project Name for each call I would like to store it in an environment variable. When I do it would allow me to call Get-Info with no parameters and the value in the environment variable would be used. If the environment variable does not exist or is empty the user would be prompted for a value if it was not provided on the command line.
I tried writing the code as I have above but it never seemed to work. Even when the environment variable was set I was always prompted for projectName.
I know I could remove the mandatory attribute and add code in my function to set to the environment variable if it exists. But it would be much easier if what I am proposing was possible.

15 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea