Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

Restart-Computer needs a parameter to give a reason for the restart

6 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Luc FULLENWARTHLuc FULLENWARTH shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    survey  ·  J. Keith Bankston [MSFT]AdminJ. Keith Bankston [MSFT] (Admin, Windows Server) responded  · 

Would be interested in understanding the scenario where you are using the cmdlet & specifying the reason for rebooting. To explain: our previous assumption was that users would EITHER use the server UI that captured this information, OR use the cmdlet (often so they didn’t need to supply that reason text).
    So, what would help is to understand in what situations the cmdlet is being used and specifying the reboot explanation is desirable.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Luc FULLENWARTHLuc FULLENWARTH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- Nano server.

- Administrators which are doing more than 90% of their work remotely via PS Sessions in ISE tabs don't wich to open a RDP session just to restart a server, especially if they have a bunch of servers to restart alltogether.

- Software or server management via script

- Restart-Computer -Wait -For WinRM is more user friendly than logging on to the server, use the GUI to restart, and then opening a shell to make a PING until the server is availlable.

When talking about "giving a reason" I don't just mean a category (planned application, ...) I also mean a manual comment. Usually I mention the ticket number (incident, planned change, ...) or a brief summary of my action (Reboot because the server was in this state or I was doing this or that).

Feedback and Knowledge Base