Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

PowerShell: Unable to reconnect disconnected PSSession when PSRemotingProtocolVersion does not match

From a win7 or win10 workstation running PS5 I can create a PSRemoting session (new-pssession) to a server running PS4. But if that session should become disconnected, I'm unable to reconnect (or receive) the session, receiving, instead the following error:
Receive-PSSession : Connecting to remote server hsfsrpw001 failed with the following error message : The server that is running
Windows PowerShell does not support connect operations on the protocolversion 2.3 that is negotiated by the client computer. Make
sure the client computer is compatible with the build 6.3.9600.17400 and the protocol version 2.2 of Windows PowerShell. For more
information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

I think it makes sense that if we can initiate the remote session to a 'downlevel' server, that we should be able to reconnect to it, even if that were to mean adding a parameter to Connect-pssession and receive-pssession in order to do so.

Also, as far as I can tell, the about_remote_troubleshooting help article does not cover this situation.

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JB LewisJB Lewis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...