Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

The description attached to the parameters -Delimiter -Encoding -Raw -Stream -Wait (This parameter is not supported by any providers that ar

This comment pertains to the help entry for Get-Content (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/reference/5.0/microsoft.powershell.management/get-content) I Tried to enter the feedback into the actual page but my browser reloaded the page and lost the floating feedback link. Perhaps it was already submitted.

The description attached to the parameters
-Delimiter
-Encoding
-Raw
-Stream
-Wait
(This parameter is not supported by any providers that are installed with Windows Powershell.)
is both incorrect and useless.

It is incorrect because the parameters are supported by the FileSystem provider (at least).

It is useless because it gives no information about the reason for the existence of the parameter. Is it a deleted function for which the parameter name is retained for legacy scripts? Is it a planned future addition?

My suspicion is that it is a place holder description that was never updated. (As an aside, there are/were many help entries where the description for some parameters had been replaced by that for -UseCredential)

Additionally, where it is decided that a cmdlet should have multiple help entries if a it has different behaviour depending upon which provider is invoked then the general (non-provider specific) version should clearly indicate that fact (with appropriate links). So '-Delimiter' would be described thus:

-Delimiter
(FileSystem provider, ...)
Provider specific behaviour.

where 'FileSystem provider' is a link to 'Get-Content for FileSystem'. Indeed, if the behaviour is the same for all applicable providers then the behaviour could be described in the general help entry (instead of just 'Provider specific behaviour.').

1 vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →