Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

WMF 5.1 breaks class registrations for the ConfigMgr client agent

I've localized this issue to WMF 5.1 on Windows 7. With this installed, the WMI namespace: root\ccm\policy\defaultmacine\requestedconfig becomes invalid. This is important because in In-Place upgrade scenarios from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the task sequence agent cannot resume the task sequence without being able to read this namespace. I know this is a combination of WMF and ConfigurationManager so I will post there as well.

1 vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Colin Wilkins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Taylor Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UPDATE: I've decided to just add in a small Task Sequence group for detection of WMF 5.1 to uninstall it and reboot if present. This did in fact work and allowed the task sequence to continue after the OS upgrade to Windows 10. Since Windows 10 already integrates most everything that WMF 5.1 brings to Windows 7, this isn't really an issue to remove 5.1 briefly while the OS is being upgraded.

Initially I was considering rolling back WMF in our entire environment prior to the upgrade but the in-Task Sequence removal solution works better than I expected it to.

For anyone else wanting a workaround in your Windows 10 upgrade task sequence, do the following:

Create a group "Remove WMF 5.1" and on that group's options, set a Registry condition:

Root key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
        Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\3\PowerShellEngine
        Condition: equals
        Value name: PowerShellVersion
        Value type: REG_SZ
        Value: 5.1.14409.1005

(note: this SHOULD be the correct registry value for most instances of WMF 5.1 in Windows 7, but since it's a string and not an integer, you can't do a "greater than/equal to 5.1" in the condition of the Task Sequence

Inside of the group, create two steps:

1) Run Command Line:
        -Name: Uninstall WMF 5.1 Package
        -Command line: wusa.exe /uninstall /KB:3191566 /quiet /norestart
        2) Restart Computer step (into the current OS, NOT boot image)

Make sure that this group of steps occurs before the "Upgrade Operating System" step, obviously. Removal of WMF requires offline update configuration, which is why the reboot is necessary.

In my testing so far, this has circumvented the issues caused by WMF 5.1 during the upgrade. The task sequence should resume normally after the upgrade at this point, where Windows 10 will be replacing all of the features that WMF 5.1 in Windows 7 provided you.

• Taylor Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is STILL an issue as far as I can tell with the current WMF 5.1 package available for download.

I just picked back up some testing on in-place upgrades of Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10 and noticed that all of the new test machines I was creating were not continuing the task sequence after the upgrade of the OS, which confused me because when I had last run the task sequence on some machines in the past, this was never an issue. I then realized, I'd recently rebuilt an updated Windows 7 base image and figured that had to be connected, but I didin't know how.

Needless to say, I went from log to log to log until I made it to the TSMBootstrap log and found that the CM client couldn't re-initialize after the upgrade because the WMI namespace was broken, which led me to this. Glad to have found it, but I'd rather not downgrade WMF in the image, as lots of current scripts we're using depend upon it.

Is there a way that WMI can be repaired after the WMF install so the image can be captured with everything working

Feedback and Knowledge Base