Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

Dynamic inplace syntax help without ISE

Hi Microsoft,
ever used to program a Switch or Router. Not only at Cisco's you can issue a ? anytime to know what you can do next, instead of browsing each command in technet or completely dump your line to enter get-help ... this is too complicated!

ISE is a help but I don't want ISE all the time. Make your "command line" user-friendly please

1 vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Karl H. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Starting in PowerShell 5 (shipped with Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, and WMF 5), we included the PSReadline module by default in powershell.exe for improved usability. Based off of what you’re looking for, I’d highly recommend trying Ctrl+Space to see all available Tab completions wherever you’re at in your expression.

Also check out the PSReadline GitHub repo for more documentation on using all of its available features: https://github.com/lzybkr/psreadline#usage

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Karl H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Joey, I am aware about Ctrl+Space and have only seen it in ISE. It is a great feature you added however I am getting all available commands but no help or explaination.

example
        get-wmiobject (ctrl+Space) -Class (ctrl+Space) will not list content I could issue for Class.

Also there is no explaination what -class would do or expect

Feedback and Knowledge Base