Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

No paid modules in the module repository

I recently posted this on TechNet, and was directed here...

I couldn't remember how many times I've heard Jeffrey Snover talk about the experience that the Powershell team are after being one where you can start at a PS prompt and find and finish everything you need.

First, great job, because it is actually shaping up to an environment that is just that. However, I just ran in to something that made me curse out loud alone in my office, and I want to believe that the majority of the community will be with me on this.

I started, as we should, with a PS prompt and an idea of what I was trying to accomplish (connect to a mongodb). Easy enough.

----------------------------------------------------------

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Module *mongo*

ModuleType Version Name
---------- ------- ----
Binary 18.0.67... MongoDBCmdlets

Hey, there we go. I bet that's what I'm looking for. So

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Command *mongo*

CommandType Name
----------- ----
Cmdlet Add-MongoDB
Cmdlet Connect-MongoDB <------- yes sir. I'll take that one please.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-help Connect-MongoDB

NAME
Connect-MongoDB

SYNTAX
Connect-MongoDB -Database <string> -Server <string> <-enough said. I'm on a roll here

And then this happened...

---------------------------------------------------------

Database: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Connect-MongoDB -server aMongoDBServer -Database db

A valid license is required to use MongoDBCmdlets.
Would you like to install a license now? (You may use "TRIAL" as the Product Key to activate a trial license.)
[Y] Yes [N] No [?] Help (default is "Y"):

--------------------------------------------------------

And now I'm sitting here in my office waiting for an HR rep to show up and talk to me about my volume and my language.

I recognize that this isn't a Microsoft module. I'm just suggesting that Microsoft not allow these paid modules to exist in the repository if the desired experience is for a user to start at the PS prompt and use this workflow to get things done. I don't expect people to not get paid for their work, and I'm not of the mind that I should get everything free. I'm just saying, I have never had anything sold to me at a BASH prompt.

4 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Harley Burton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base