Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

No paid modules in the module repository

I recently posted this on TechNet, and was directed here...

I couldn't remember how many times I've heard Jeffrey Snover talk about the experience that the Powershell team are after being one where you can start at a PS prompt and find and finish everything you need.

First, great job, because it is actually shaping up to an environment that is just that. However, I just ran in to something that made me curse out loud alone in my office, and I want to believe that the majority of the community will be with me on this.

I started, as we should, with a PS prompt and an idea of what I was trying to accomplish (connect to a mongodb). Easy enough.

----------------------------------------------------------

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Module *mongo*

ModuleType Version Name
---------- ------- ----
Binary 18.0.67... MongoDBCmdlets

Hey, there we go. I bet that's what I'm looking for. So

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Command *mongo*

CommandType Name
----------- ----
Cmdlet Add-MongoDB
Cmdlet Connect-MongoDB <------- yes sir. I'll take that one please.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-help Connect-MongoDB

NAME
Connect-MongoDB

SYNTAX
Connect-MongoDB -Database <string> -Server <string> <-enough said. I'm on a roll here

And then this happened...

---------------------------------------------------------

Database: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Connect-MongoDB -server aMongoDBServer -Database db

A valid license is required to use MongoDBCmdlets.
Would you like to install a license now? (You may use "TRIAL" as the Product Key to activate a trial license.)
[Y] Yes [N] No [?] Help (default is "Y"):

--------------------------------------------------------

And now I'm sitting here in my office waiting for an HR rep to show up and talk to me about my volume and my language.

I recognize that this isn't a Microsoft module. I'm just suggesting that Microsoft not allow these paid modules to exist in the repository if the desired experience is for a user to start at the PS prompt and use this workflow to get things done. I don't expect people to not get paid for their work, and I'm not of the mind that I should get everything free. I'm just saying, I have never had anything sold to me at a BASH prompt.

5 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Harley Burton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Thomas Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree. I like having one place for add-on modules (IE PS Gallery). It is a one-stop-shop for stuff I need.

MongoDB is, so it would seem, a commercial product for which licenses are required But what you are loading when you install that module is the CMdlets that are used to manage Mongo DB. And, so it would appear, those are free. What is not free is the server itself.

Having support modules (that are free) for commercial software seems highly appropriate. Would you have PSGallery remove VMware cmdlets that manage vSphere (another commercial product)?

Feedback and Knowledge Base