PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. BUG: The certificate for the WMF 5.1 setup has expired WMF 5.1 cannot be installed

The certificate for Win7AndW2K8R2-KB3191566-x64.msu has expire and installing WMF 5.1 fails with the following error in Event Log/Windows Logs/Setup

Windows update "Update for Windows (KB3191566)" could not be installed because of error 2148204801 "A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file." (Command line: ""C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\Users\username\Downloads\Win7AndW2K8R2-KB3191566-x64\Win7AndW2K8R2-KB3191566-x64.msu" ")

Is WMF 5.1 still supported?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Creators update: stop-computer : Privilege not held

I ran into this one, after I noticed my newly patched workstation was still turned on in the morning even though I had explicitly requested it to shutdown at a certain time. Basically the repro steps are as follows:

> Open Non-Administrative Shell
    > Stop-Computer
    Output:
    stop-computer : Privilege not held.
    At line:1 char:1
    + stop-computer
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (***:String) [Stop-Computer], ManagementException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : StopComputerException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StopComputerCommand

Administrative shell works as expected, this specific workstation has never participated in any fast/slow ring builds. Windows version is 15063.138

Another Windows 10 system, fast ring, that is on build 15063.14…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

FYI, we’re aware of this problem and are currently investigating it.

Other threads here that we’re aware of:

I THINK we understand the problem, but I can’t offer an ETA on a fix right now, unfortunately.

3. workflow common parameters

The WorkflowCommonParameters entry is missing from help for workflows.

PowerShell workflows have both common parameters and workflow common parameters.

Get-Help help for workflows has an entry in the Parameters section for CommonParameters, but not for WorkflowCommonParameters. It needs both.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. No StdOut output on console until second object

Let me explain. I have a script that is collecting data, and I send it to StdOut by simply piping it into Select (but problem also happens if I add a ForEach loop and simply make [PSCustomObject] objects). Then my script loops to the next server. That output is not displaying on the screen. All is not lost though, when the script loops to the second server and displays both the first and second will now display. When the third server finishes it displays OK, as does the 4th.

So it looks like it's just the first one. Normally I…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Custom cmdlet help is broken in 5.0+

Custom cmdlet help gets custom help for a provider cmdlet in a provider drive. In 5.0, the provider help, including custom cmdlet help, was missing. It's restored in 5.1, but it's not working.

Ugh, I can't post a screenshot.

Here's the repro:

1) Get-Help Get-ChildItem -Path Cert: -Parameter DnsName
    [Should succeed; fails]

2) cd Cert:
    PS Cert:> Get-Help Get-ChildItem -Parameter DnsName
    [Should succeed; fails]

1. Verify that parameter exists

PS Cert:> (gcm Get-ChildItem).ParameterSets.Parameters | where Name -eq DnsName
      [succeeds]

2. Verify that content is in help file.

PS Cert:> [xml]$SecHelp = cat $pshome\en-US\Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.Security.dll-help.xml

PS Cert:>($SecHelp.helpItems.providerHelp.CmdletHelpPaths.CmdletHelpPath.command | where {$_.details.Name.Trim() -eq 'Get-ChildItem}).Parameters.Parameter | where…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  1 comment  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow "Invalid" keys in module manifests

Just ... STOP worrying about keys that you don't care about.

That way, 10 years from now, when all the old versions are gone, you'll finally be able to add keys to the manifest instead of stuffing more and more things into the module's PrivateData

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. JEA is not correctly showing VisibleAliases

Aliases exported from imported module are not shown if role capabilities file contains VisibleAliases="*"
    Module
    <PRE>
    function Test
    {
    [Alias("TestAlias")]
    param()
    Write-Output 1
    }

Export-ModuleMember -Function Test -Alias TestAlias</PRE>

Without VisibleAliases set in RoleCapabilites file TestAlias is visible tested with Get-PsSessionCapability cmdlet but if VisibleAliases="*" appears in rolecapabilites file then TestAlias is not imported

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Lastest Windows Insider Builds - Collection is read-only

Attempting to import a module and run a PowerShell script is now resulting in an error about the collection is read-only.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "[System.Threading.Thread]::CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = '';[System.Threading.Thread]::CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = ''; & import-module -name 'C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\helpers\chocolateyInstaller.psm1'; & 'C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\helpers\chocolateyScriptRunner.ps1'"

Results in
    C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\helpers\chocolateyScriptRunner.ps1 : Collection is read-only.

At line:1 char:210
    + ... ller.psm1'; & 'C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\helpers\chocolateyScriptRunn .
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [chocolateyScriptRunner.ps1] 

, NotSupportedException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NotSupportedException,chocolateyScriptR
    unner.ps1

This is new and unexpected behavior. Here is the issue log for more information: https://github.com/chocolatey/choco/issues/659

Here is the actual script in question - https://github.com/chocolatey/choco/blob/0.9.9.11/src/chocolatey.resources/helpers/chocolateyScriptRunner.ps1 - it could be that we…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  4 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InformationAction and InformationVariable show up as regular (not common) parameters in help documentation

The InformationAction and InformationVariable common parameters are all messed up in the docs.

For example, if you run:

Get-Help Get-Service -Parameter InformationAction # or InformationVariable

You get documentation for the ComputerName parameter.

If you run:

Get-Help Get-Service

the syntax section shows the possible values for InformationAction, yet the syntax section in this command does not:

Get-Help Add-AzureRmAccount

And seriously, we don't need command syntax sections more cluttered up than they already are, nor do we need documentation for these parameters to be messed up by leaving that documentation up to each individual command. These should simply be documented in about…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. This has been filed as a doc bug.

Based on its current ranking compared to other feedback items and product schedule, work on this item is pending (and will be driven by) further customer input. If you did not open this issue and are also impacted by it, please vote this item up.

10. WMF 5.0 executing ScriptBlock over WinRM 2.0 fails

Following c
    Code below will output only 1 but not when source from WMF 5.0 computer to WinRM 2.0

Invoke-Command -ComputerName Windows2008box -ScriptBlock {Write-Output 1; Write-Output 2 }

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/679bb655-4322-445c-8b7d-1f736c105489/can-somebody-verify-if-this-is-a-bug-in-wmf-50?forum=winserverpowershell

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base