PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. MOF Files Include Authoring Metadata

Votes from Connect: 4

Original Date Submitted: 8/20/2014 2:21:09 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Aaron Jensen
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 950298

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: No, this is new to the most recent version

Problem Description:
    When converting configuration blocks to .mof files, they .mof files contain authoring metadata that causes the .mof file's contents and checksum to change, even when none of the configuration in the .mof file has changed. This makes it hard to know when a .mof file's configuration has really changed or not. All .mof files essentially look like they are always changing. This makes…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

investigating  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. BUG: DSC resource name cannot start with a number if another resource depends on it

I have a resource named [xHotfix]2012R2_April2014CU and if I use that in the depends on field for another resource, I get this error:

Test-DependsOn : The format of the resource reference '[xHotfix]2012R2CU1' in the Requires list for resource '[xHotfix]2012R2April2014CU::[ContosoWindowsUpdates]SampleConfig' is not valid. A required resource name should be in the format '[<typename>]<name>', with alphanumeric characters, spaces, '', '-', '.' and '&#39;.

If I add an alpha character to the resource name, then it generates correctly.

xHotfix 2012R2_CU1

{

Path = &quot;$InstallRoot\WindowsUpdates\2012R2\Windows8.1-KB2919355-x64.msu&quot;
    Id = &quot;KB2919355&quot;
    Ensure = &quot;Present&quot;
    DependsOn = &quot;[WindowsFeature]DotNetFX3dot5&quot;
    }

xHotfix 2012R2_April2014CU
    {
    Path =…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    investigating  ·  Mark Gray responded

Thanks for the feedback!

We have looked into this issue and cannot seem to reproduce it in the latest builds WMF 5.0 RTM. Please try to reproduce it with the RTM bits and let us know if you still have the issue.

Regards,

MarkG

3. Get-DscConfiguration Fails With Embedded CIM type

Votes from Connect: 3

Original Date Submitted: 8/28/2015 4:09:14 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Steve Murawski
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 1721560

Frequency: Desired State Configuration (DSC)
    Regression: install-module cWebAdministration
    configuration cWebsite_StopWebsite
    {

param

(
    # Target nodes to apply the configuration
    [string[]]$NodeName = &#39;localhost&#39;
    )

# Import the module that defines custom resources
    Import-DscResource -ModuleName cWebAdministration

Node $NodeName
    {
    # Install the IIS role
    WindowsFeature IIS
    {
    Name = &quot;Web-Server&quot;
    }

# Stop the default website
    cWebsite DefaultSite
    {
    Name = &quot;Default Web Site&quot;
    State = &quot;Stopped&quot;
    PhysicalPath = &quot;C:\inetpub\wwwroot&quot;
    DependsOn = &quot;[WindowsFeature]IIS&quot; …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This should be resolved with WMF 5.0. Please let us know if this is reproducible with WMF 5.0 RTM.

4. Service DSC resource should not have a default $State

The Service DSC resource defaults to state = running. It would be great to be able to say "I want to make sure the service is installed, but I don't care what state it's currently in."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback!

We will take this into consideration in a future release.

MarkG

5. BUG : WMF5 RTM Pull Server HTTPS

I have setup new DSC Pull Server HTTPS with WMF 5 RTM on Windows server 2012 r2 .

Any client with WMF 5 RTM installed is able to pull configuration from Pull Server without certificate installed on the machine .

Even if AllowUnsecureConnection is set to $false in LCM .

I have tested that on WMF 4.0 machines and I'm getting error if the certificate is not presented .

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Mariusz,

Thanks for the feedback!

We are attempting to investigate this issue but need more details from you in order to make progress.

Is the issue that you are running into as follows:
    - WMF 5. based DSC Pull Server configured with HTTPS and server certificate installed properly. I assume this is not a certificate issued by a trusted authority, correct?
    - A WMF 5.0 RTM client does not have the trusted SSL certificate installed in the trusted root folder and the client is able to successfully connect to the Pull Server.
    - A WMF 4.0 client fails to connect when it does not have the trusted root cert installed.

Please let us know if this is or is not what you are experiencing.

Thanks, again,

MarkG

2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base