PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove Dependency on TLS 1.0 for HTTPS Pull Server

After disabling TLS 1.0 on our Pull Server and nodes, the nodes are unable to re-register with the Pull Server. This is keeping us from making changes to the LCM on nodes.

I have posted on PowerShell.org forum about this:
    http://powershell.org/wp/forums/topic/tls-1-0-required-for-https-pull-server/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Get-DSCResource -Syntax for WindowsFeatureSet incorrect

Get-DscResource for WindowsFeatureSet showing "ensure" parameter as being optional, while it's actually required

<PRE>

PS C:\windows\system32> get-dscresource windowsfeatureset -Syntax
    WindowsFeatureSet [String] #ResourceName
    {

[DependsOn = [String[]]]

Name = [String[]]
    [Ensure = [String]]
    [Source = [String]]
    [IncludeAllSubFeature = [Boolean]]
    [Credential = [PSCredential]]
    [LogPath = [String]]

}
    </PRE>

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    survey  ·  Mark Gray responded

Thanks for the feedback, Gregory! This certainly is a bug albeit a little different that what you have described. The Ensure property should be optional but it should default to ‘Present’ if it is not provided just like the underlying resource does. I have opened a bug for this.

MarkG

3. why can't I use a http-based "Path" in the Archive Resource ?

When I use the Archive Resource it appeares to be restricted to SMB or UNC Path's.

I would like to configure a http based sourcepath.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow use "*" as PartialConfiguration property value in LCM

Currently if we want to add another partial configuration, we have to reconfigure LCM on local machine to target new config.

If LCM could use "*" (asterisk) as PartialConfiguration property value, then LCM reconfuguration wouldn't be necessary every time when new config was added.

How it could work from my perspective:

When LCM was reconfigured to pull every configuration (via asterisk as value) then it connect to PullSrv and pull every mof configuration with his own GUID like *.guid.mof.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Change the way ConfigurationNames works to accomodate easy management and software provisioning

TL&DR - Make ConfigurationNames accept multiple values and Accept changes to the values of ConfigurationNames in a Live manner and not just for the initital regisration of the node.

Today ConfiguratioNames is used on the initial regsitration of the node. Althugh it can accept an array, it wont work with more then one value and issue errors. That value is basically the name of the mof file on the pull server. This allows for friendly names of mof files while still maintaining uniqness of the nodes for reporting purposes that wasnt available in ps v4 using the same GUID.

Everytime…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow WildCard in PartialConfig name

When a DSC Client Node gets his config from the DSC Pull Server, allow him to filter the config name with WildCards.

For exemple the DSC Client named 'Target01' should be able to pull DSC configs named Target01.* (Target01.Apps , Target01.OS,...). So we could publish new DSC Configs without the need of re-configuring the target LCM.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I agree that this experience is not the most streamlined. I would really like to understand how you and other customers are using partial configs when in pull mode. For example why do you use partial configurations instead of composite configurations? Are you using WMF 5.0 RTM Pull functionality or WMF 4.0?

7. Absent Or Stopped for Service DSC Resource

I am in an environment where sometimes things might get pushed on some machines from other sources. I would like to have a base composite resource that ensures a Service is not running on a machine whether the service is present or not. The service is either Absent or if it is Present it is stopped. Currently, if I just configure "State = 'Stopped'" and do not specify Ensure, then Ensure defaults to present and the configuration fails on machines where the service is absent. In this case, I do not want ensure that it is present or absent just…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add tar.gz support to Package DSC resource

It would nice to be able to expand tar.gz packages using DSC

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug: WMF5 PullServer Configuration still accepts "IsComplianceServer" attribute

When provisioning a new PullServer using WMF5, the "IsComplianceServer = $true" can still be specified a a valid attribute in the configuration despite the service being replaced by the reporting server role.

It seems benign, however if this is done the resulting Pull Server will no longer work with ConfigurationNames and only work with ConfigurationID configured nodes. The process generates no errors, nodes will even state that registration of AgentID was successful, but clients will silently receive no files when they query for the appropriate <configurationname>.mof.

This makes for a very difficult bug to track down if someone were to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Justin,

Thank you for your feedback! We recognize that this adds confusion to the deployment of the WMF 5.0 pull server and are looking into a solution.

MarkG

10. Set ConfigurationMode per PartialConfiguration

I would be nice to be able to set the ConfigurationMode on a PartialConfiguration. For example I want that my SQL config automatically remediated is, however the Windows OS config just alerts to changes. Similar to a Syntax like below

[DSCLocalConfigurationManager()]
    configuration MyConfig
    {
    Node localhost
    {

Settings

{
    RefreshMode = &quot;Pull&quot;
    ConfigurationID = &#39;a5f86baf-f17f-4778-8944-9cc99ec9f992&#39;
    RebootNodeIfNeeded = $true
    }

ConfigurationRepositoryWeb PullSvc1
    {
    URL = &#39;<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://pullserver1:8080/OSConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39">http://pullserver1:8080/OSConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39</a>;
    AllowUnSecureConnection = $true
    }

ConfigurationRepositoryWeb PullSvc2
    {
    URL = &#39;<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://pullserver2:8080/SQLConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39">http://pullserver2:8080/SQLConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39</a>;
    AllowUnsecureConnection = $true
    }

PartialConfiguration OSConfig
    {
    Description = &#39;Configuration for the Base OS&#39;
    ConfigurationSource = &#39;[ConfigurationRepositoryWeb]PullSvc1&#39;
    ConfigurationMode =…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Using dynamic parameters in a DSC resource

I just tried to use dynamic parameters in a DSC resource. Unfortunately during testing, DSC prompted me with the following message:
    "The command Test-TargetResource of the PS module MSFTx<RESOURCENAME> does not implement the write property ApplicationPool mentioned in the corresponding MOF schema file C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules&lt;RESOURCENAME>\0.9.0.0\Ds
    cResources\MSFT
    xSPWordAutomationServiceApp\MSFT_<RESOURCENAME>.schema.mof. All write paramenters mentioned in the schema file must be implemented by the command Test-TargetResource."

So it looks like Dynamic Parameters isn't supported in DSC resource, which is too bad. This forces me to add additional checks in my code.

Can you please add this support to DSC?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base