PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change from edb file to SQL Server database for Desired State Configuration Pull services

Votes from Connect: 6

Original Date Submitted: 4/25/2015 5:54:58 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Ihadadream
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 1275973

Problem Description:
    If Pull services databases change to SQL Server, we could have high availability and build a real pull infrastructure. It also brings possibility to have tierce applications that read datas and build reports using SSRS, etc.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 1275973 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=1275973).

Repro Steps:

Internal BugId: 14408

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bug: Get-DscConfigurationStatus doesn't show all resources/configurations

We started to use results from Get-DscConfigurationStatus in our monitoring (SCOM) and while analyzing the results we noticed that some partials are not showing up in the results of this command even though tests/set/get is performed on the target node. After analyzing different methods we found out that:

• MOF documents generated in C:\Windows\System32\Configuration\ConfigurationStatus seem to limit the results to ~40 last items in DSC configuration

• Get-DscConfigurationStatus and Test-DscConfiguration -Detail all use the same source of information, thus provide same, truncated output

• The only reliable source of information is details.json file generate when -Verbose output is requested, but information there is…
    6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. MSFT_WebDownloadManager issue

Hi there,
    Please advise on the following failure I am facing while trying to apply DSC changes on the remote machine:
    "
    PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager -Path .\LCMPullMode
    Undefined class: MSFT_WebDownloadManager
    At line:15, char:2
    Buffer:
    Connection = True;
    };^
    ins

+ CategoryInfo          : SyntaxError: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MiClientApiError_Failed
    + PSComputerName : be-lab-v17

"

Thanks in advance,
    Ofer

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. MinimumCompatibleVersion cause "Cannot find module PSDesiredStateConfiguration_1.0 from the server"

Box

DSC PULL Server : Windows Server 2012 R2 + WMF5 RTM
    DSC PULL Client : Windows Server 2012 R2 + WMF5 RTM

Description of Issue:

In WMF5.0 there is PsDscRunAsCredential to target dedicated user to make it so. However mof document created by configuration with this property, will cause "Cannot find module PSDesiredStateConfiguration_1.0 from the server http://DSCPull:8080/PSDSCPullServer.svc/Modules(ModuleName='PSDesiredStateConfiguration',ModuleVersion='1.0')/ModuleContent" exception and could not apply configuration.

Reproduce Procedure:

• Note: It's no meaning with this configuration to target PsDscRunAsCredential, but please understand this is just a simple reproduce configuration

• Create configuration to use WMF5 functionality, in this case PsDscRunAsCredential.

```powershell
    configuration FeatureNetCore …

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. get-psdrive & abnormal I/O

Hello,

Since WMF 5.0, I encountered abnormal disk latency, when running DSC.
    Process Monitor showed that WMI host process was doing a lot of WriteFile operation to the folder: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\PowerShell\CommandAnalysis\PowerShellAnalysisCacheEntry*
    the amount of operation is increasing over time (up to 200.000 write operations in my case) each time dsc configuration is being executed…
    All those operations are triggered when calling get-psdrive which is calling the module manifest Microsoft.Powershell.Security.psd1

I could reproduce it on a new VM with only WMF 5.0 installed, LCM configured in push mode using the default settings and a single test resource in the configuration…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide PowerShell module or DSC resource to manage Local Security Policy

Its troublesome task to automate management of local security policy. it will be nice if a DSC resource is provided to manage local security policy. if not, then a module that allows exporting, importing, and set/get of individual local security policy item would be very helpful. ability to identify if a particular local security policy is configured via group policy or not will be great too!.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Duplicate PSModulePath Entries Cause Module Resolution Errors

Some overly helpful installer added 'C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules' to my system PSModulePath environment variable. This had the effect of duplicating from within PowerShell, so it looked like this when I typed $env:PSModulePath (split for clarity):

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\ResourceManager\AzureResourceManager\;
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\ServiceManagement\;
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\Storage\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\PowerShell\Modules\;
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Message Analyzer\PowerShell\;
    - C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;
    - C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\;
    • C:\Users\tomta\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\;

The effect was to cause Get-Module to see the same module twice, even though it was installed once.
    It also caused Import-Module and Publish-AzureVMDscConfiguration to fail due to inability to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bug: WMF5 Pull Server has limited functionality in core

While the pull server can be installed on server core, the new WMF5 ConfigurationNames feature will not function properly unless it is installed on a full installation of windows server.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug: Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager / Partial Configuration limits are undefined

When testing Partial Configurations in WMF5 Production Preview I am unable to run Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager due to some arbitrary limitation.

Some guidance, documentation around Partial Configuration limits should be published.

I've been able to reproduce this...
    Using the following code:
    $Limit = 15
    [DSCLocalConfigurationManager()]
    Configuration DSCLocalConfigurationManager {

Node $env:COMPUTERNAME {

Settings {
    RefreshMode = 'Disabled'
    }

For ($i = 1; $i -lt $Limit; $i++) {
    $Name = "Partial$i"
    PartialConfiguration $Name {
    Description = "Partial$i"
    }

}
    }

}
    DSCLocalConfigurationManager
    Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager -Path .\DSCLocalConfigurationManager -ComputerName $env:COMPUTERNAME

If I set the $Limit to 15, setting 14 Partial Configurations the application succeeds.
    If I set…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Andrew,

This was a known issue that should be fixed on both WMF 5 RTM and the latest version of Windows 10.

I know that you’re still patiently awaiting the final release of WMF 5 RTM. If you still run into this problem after the RTM release (or if you run into the same problem on a fully patched Windows 10 machine), feel free to post back here.

Thanks,
    Joey

10. Bug: Limit of 9 DependsOn PartialConfigurations

When testing Partial Configurations in WMF5 Production Preview I am unable to run Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager if my [DSCLocalConfigurationManager()] Configuration has more than 9 Partial Configurations with the DependsOn parameter.

Exception details:
    $.CategoryInfo:
    Category : ResourceUnavailable
    Activity :
    Reason : CimException
    TargetName : root/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration:MSFT
    DSCLocalConfigurationManager
    TargetType : String

$_.Exception:
    The WS-Management service cannot process the request. The WMI service or the WMI provider returned an unknown
    error: HRESULT 0x80041033

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Andrew,

This was a known issue that should be fixed on both WMF 5 RTM and the latest version of Windows 10.

I know that you’re still patiently awaiting the final release of WMF 5 RTM. If you still run into this problem after the RTM release (or if you run into the same problem on a fully patched Windows 10 machine), feel free to post back here.

Thanks,
    Joey

11. Azure DSC VM Extension 2.10 'AddressWidth' bug

When deploying the Azure DSC Extension on 2008 R2 x64 VMs with more than one processor, the Extension fails to install with the following error:

[ERROR] Property 'AddressWidth' cannot be found on this object. Make sure that it exists.

The issue exists within the 'Install.psm1' module, function GetOSVersion. The function attempts to determine the architecture of the VM's processor using the following code:

$processor = Get-WmiObject Win32_Processor

and then checks the architecture with this:

IsX64 = $processor.AddressWidth -eq 64

but on this and other machines, more than one 'Win32_Processor' object is returned with the Get-WMIObject call, thus $processor is an…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. DSC: MSFT_DscLocalConfigurationManager CIM class's PerformRequiredConfigurationChecks method's flags parameter is undocumented

Votes from Connect: 7

Original Date Submitted: 8/21/2014 8:09:48 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Aaron Jensen
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 951297

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: No, this is new to the most recent version

Problem Description:
    MSFT_DscLocalConfigurationManager CIM class's PerformRequiredConfigurationChecks flags parameter is undocumented. Page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn469248.aspx simply says: "Flags: Specifies the TBD."

Please document these flags.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 951297 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=951297).

Repro Steps:
    Expected Results:

Internal BugId: 8961

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base