PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Duplicate help files in PSWorkflow module break Get-Help

At some point in the 5.0 time period, Update-Help installed About topic files in the en-US directory for the PSWorkflow module with .txt (not .help.txt) file name extensions.

e.g. about_Foreach-Parallel.txt

Later, this was fixed and Update-Help installed the same help files in the same directory with the (correct) ".help.txt" file name extension.

e.g. about_Foreach-Parallel.help.txt

Now, the PSWorkflow\en-US directory has 9 pairs of files that are identical except for the file name extension.

aboutActivityCommonParameters.help.txt
    about
    ActivityCommonParameters.txt
    aboutCheckpoint-Workflow.help.txt
    about
    Checkpoint-Workflow.txt
    aboutForeach-Parallel.help.txt
    about
    Foreach-Parallel.txt
    aboutInlineScript.help.txt
    about
    InlineScript.txt
    aboutParallel.help.txt
    about
    Parallel.txt
    aboutSequence.help.txt
    about
    Sequence.txt
    aboutSuspend-Workflow.help.txt
    about
    Suspend-Workflow.txt …

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

survey  ·  3 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add PowerShell tab and examples to .NET reference pages in MSDN

Votes from Connect: 391

Original Date Submitted: 5/21/2015 12:20:32 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: June Blender
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 1351032

Problem Description:
    PowerShell users often read .NET reference pages in MSDN. It's all but required, because Get-Help doesn't describe object members. However, in the Examples section of .NET reference pages, there are no PowerShell examples; not even a PowerShell tab.

MSDN says they cannot demonstrate a demand for PowerShell examples. I'd like to use this feature request to demonstrate the demand.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 1351032 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=1351032).

222 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Why can't Acrobat save these PowerShell articles?

I've tried several ways to capture the PowerShell documentation into a single PDF file which I find much more convenient instead of clicking around a Microsoft site. Acrobat just locks up. I've never seen it behave this way before.

It places PowerShell out of reach for those of us trying to learn new tools.

Please try it yourself. Acrobat XI Pro.
    - Use the browser plugin "create PDF from webpage"
    - Or start with Acrobat "create PDF"
    - Or Browser / Save as html complete

Print to PDF is inadequate because webpage links are missing and on the PowerShell pages,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Cmdlet version compatibility

We need to define with wich version of Powershel and which operating system cmdlets are compatible.

Could we have this compatibility matrix for each cmdlet in the documentation and also in the help section of each cmdlet?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. about_Language_Keywords is missing 4.0-5.0 keywords

aboutLanguageKeywords for PowerShell 5.0 (https://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh847744.aspx) is missing all of the new keywords for PowerShell 4.0 and 5.0, including critical keywords, such as Configuration, Class, and Enum.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Register-ArgumentCompleter is not documented

The cmdlet Register-ArgumentCompleter is not documented.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Get-Help cmdlet should skip error and continue updating help doc.

I know that there are many cmdlets help documentation not completed yet. But, it's a pain when trying to use the "Update-help" cmdlet and see it error-out due to an unfinished module help.

I think it should be a good idea to display the error and continue (or try) update the rest of our installed module(s).

In my case, I'm getting an error update the help on the new SQLServer module. But this is now completing the update for the rest of my existing module.

If this update is done alphabetically then the update is stopping at the SQLServer module…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. CheckPoint-Workflow points to non-existent help for how to checkpoint

At the bottom, this URL goes to a "This topic is no longer available":

SEE ALSO

How to Add Checkpoints to a Workflow (<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=261993">http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=261993</a>)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PowerShell SDK is missing XML comment files

It's really awesome that there are SDK assemblies in NuGet for PowerShell now, but...

We need xml documentation. It's traditional to include the XML file for each assembly you ship in NuGet, and none of them were included in any of the packages...

P.S. Did you really mean to release those under MIT?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Get-ChildItem has misleading command syntax

Current discrepancy:
    User can specify the -File switch to indicate only files which to be targeted. However, if you do not specify wildcards in the -Path value to specifically target files, this -File switch returns nothing.

Working example:
    Get-ChildItem -Path ("{0}*." -f $projectDir.FullName) -File -Include ".csproj")

Non-Working example:
    Get-ChildItem -Path ("{0}" -f $projectDir.FullName) -File -Include "*.csproj")

Why does it require explicitly targeting files when the whole nature of this is to target files within a path? Why do I have to do the same thing twice?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base