PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please add Management Framework v4 to the Update Catalog website

Management Framework v5 is already available on the Update Catalog website and can be manually imported into a private WSUS instance for distribution (via WSUS or SCCM.) But v5 requires WMF v4 to be installed first.

If WMF v4 was available in the Update Catalog then it could be imported into our private WSUS instance - and then we could deploy the WMF v4 as a prereq in the same reliable manner that we will be deploying WMF v5 to enterprise workstations.

Please add WMF v4 to the Update Catalog website.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. WMF5.1(?) Code completion fails to complete a parameter

In the PowerShell console type

Export-ModuleMember -a

and press Tab in order to complete the parameter Alias.
    As a result, nothing happens. Take a look at $Error:

PS> $Error

Exception calling "CompleteInput" with "3" argument(s): "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index"
    At line:38 char:16
    + ... return [System.Management.Automation.CommandCompletion]::Complet ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ArgumentOutOfRangeException

Note that completion of other parameters works.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Empty pipeline input has single $null item on slow ring build

I noticed this a few fast ring builds ago and now see it on the slow ring build #14295. For functions that declare at least one parameter and are marked [CmdletBinding()], $input.count is 1 even when no input is sent either on the pipeline or via param. The one element is $null. So if you had code that checks to see if input is from the pipeline using something like if($input.count) and expect 0 to mean no pipeline input is present, that breaks. Here is an example function:

function my-test {

[CmdletBinding()]

param(
    [String]$blah
    )

write-host $input.count

}

Calling my-test…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. BUG: WMF 5.0 RTM PSSession management throws WERFault exception

v5.0.10586.122

Connecting to an existing PSSession sometimes throws an exception error in the PS host. Using a script developed in WMF 4 to handle and re-use sessions now causes exceptions. I suspect something has changed in how WMF 5 handles sessions but I can't seem to get to the bottom of it.

Fault bucket 125744894502, type 5
    Event Name: PowerShell
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: PowerShell_ISE.exe
    P2: 10.0.10586.122
    P3: System.ObjectDisposedException
    P4: System.ObjectDisposedException
    P5: SessionTransportManager+WSManAPIDataCommon.Dispose
    P6: Runtime.InteropServices.SafeHandle.DangerousAddRef
    P7: unknown
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users<home>\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB13.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\CriticalPowerShellISE.ea2d14b4791b93fd183c2c1c6aadb549cfe61527700000000_1ad123ac

Analysis…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bug: WMF5 install fails on Windows 7

I get this error in Event Viewer:
    Windows update "Update for Windows (KB3134760)" could not be installed because of error 2148204800 "No signature was present in the subject."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Followed up in email. This may be due to the fact that on March 3 KB3134760 was not fully populated. That work was not completed until March 7. Please review and respond to email when possible.

6. Bug: JEA .psrc capabilities file selected from the wrong RoleCapabilities module folder

With PSVersion 5.0.10586.63 on Windows 10 and Server 2016 TP4, when using Register-PSSessionConfiguration to create a new session endpoint using a .pssc file, and that .pssc file uses RoleDefinitions for the sake of Just Enough Admin (JEA), the wrong .psrc file from the wrong RoleCapabilities folder may be selected.

It appears that, when registering the endpoint, the $env:PSModulePath folders are searched in alphabetical order for any module folder, no matter what the name, that happens to have a subdirectory named RoleCapabilities within it, and, when found, if a correctly-named .psrc JEA capabilities file is found, that .psrc file is used…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bug: PSWA 5.0 ignores Set-Location in profile script

I had previously setup PSWA 4.0 that executed a profile.ps1 script at logon to resize the console, add snapins, and drop the user into a UNC network location where the scripts are contained. I upgraded to PS 5.0 on Friday and now when users login, all elements of the script work EXCEPT Set-Location. I have tried to cd to a local path instead of UNC, which also did not work. There are no errors or warnings. If I execute the startup script after I am already logged in to the PSWA, it executes properly and changes to the UNC path.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. PowerShell Should Ship all its Modules through a NuGet-like service

Votes from Connect: 63

Original Date Submitted: 11/29/2012 12:00:27 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Joel 'Jaykul' Bennett
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 772530

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: Yes, this happens in previous released versions

Problem Description:
    The PowerShell team should ship it's modules via a Module Repository (like NuGet), and add commands for retrieving and installing modules to the Core module.

They should use that mechanism to further separate releases from the Windows Server ship schedule. In fact, I suggest that you should externalize all of the non-core modules (everything which is currently loaded on-demand) to separate them from the…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. This is something we are investigating, but it requires some complex review to ensure proper operation across a range of Windows actions (eg: applying Windows updates). No decision has been made at this time.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base