PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pure Pain: Preinstalled PS Modules - Please Rationalize Them with Package Management Installs

I am trying to update Pester on Windows 2016 to 4.x because the preshipped Pester 3.4.0 emits a note about the depreciation of the -quiet switch when I use the quiet switch. This get's scooped into stdout when executing via AWS SSM remote commands. Version 3.x complains it does not understand "-Show None".

I want to update to 4.x - in which I ran into all the problems documented here: https://github.com/OneGet/oneget/issues/215

But ended up with "Install-module pester -force -SkipPublisherCheck.

So far so bad, but when I go to remove the 3.4.0 version (with admin rights) from: 'c:\program files\windowspowershell\modules\pester\3.4.0' I get…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The issues you have encountered can be frustrating, sorry that is the case for you.

Moving this to Survey to try to gauge the scope of the problem for users generally.

We are somewhat limited by security requirements: what ships with Windows will always be tagged so that nothing can replace it easily unless it is signed by Microsoft. While Pester is part of Windows, it is not owned or developed by Microsoft, so updates delivered via the Gallery cannot be Microsoft signed.

Once the Gallery version is installed on a system, -SkipPublisherCheck is no longer required for future updates. That first experience, however, is bad.

This leaves us with a dilemma: do we stop shipping Pester in with PowerShell in the future, or do we continue to provide the feature set knowing users who update from the Gallery will encounter these issues?

Looking for feedback from as many users…

2. new-modulemanifest doesn't support ExternalModuleDependencies

In order to register external module dependencies (dependencies living in another repository), the name has to be registered in a string array property within the PSData Hashtable property in the PrivateData section in the psd1 manifest like so for registering module 'psFtp':

PrivateData = @{
    PSData = @{

ExternalModuleDependencies

ExternalModuleDependencies = @('psFtp')
    }
    } # End of PrivateData hashtable

However, the new-modulemanifest doesn't have an -ExternalModuleDepencies parameter, nor is it possible to register externalmoduledependencies like so:

-PrivateData @{ PSData = @{ ExternalModuleDependencies = @('psFtp') } }

Which from a client perspective of the the existing new-modulemanifest api, would be an…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the comment. We will be monitoring this to see how many users are impacted by / recommending it.

3. Should Save-Script download all modules defined as dependencies or not?

Right now, when you run the Save-Script command you end up with a script and all its module dependencies. In my case, I only wanted a script and got 100+ MB of modules too. :(

It would be better if you introduce the -IncludeModules parameter, and by default only download a script with the Save-Script.

Downloading the modules with the script makes sense for Install-Script, but not so much with Save-Script, in my opinion.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  5 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. PowerShellGet and redirected MyDocs

When using -Scope CurrentUser with the Install-* cmdlets from PowerShellGet it looks at [Environment]::GetFolderPath("MyDocuments") to determine where to install the modules/scripts/etc.
    If using Folder Redirection for My Documents, this is likely to be a network path which causes some issues such as performance (kills tab completion), as well as some potential issues with binary modules.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Understand the problem now, which is based on loading the DLL from a redirected share.
    Moving to a Survey item to gauge priority.

Thank you -

5. Microsoft Downloads Provider for PackageManagement

It might be helpful to have a provider for Microsoft downloads.

For example, Message Analyzer, Azure AD Connect, and a variety of other software is available from Microsoft, but require manual hoops, or custom scripting to install via PowerShell.

Use case: Most automation and management tasks that involve software available from Microsoft downloads...

I do see that this might be tough, given that some of these downloads may be standalone files (executables, docs, etc.), some may be MSIs, etc.

Cheers!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Have to investigate this a bit. I believe there are several different download/install approaches. Question back to you: what would be the top 3-5 download areas you would want to see?

6. Publish/Save/Install-Module should handle binary dependencies using nuget pattern. Currently it is necessary to bundle binaries (bad!)

Currently the Module cmdlets apply standard nuget logic to referenced modules (download as needed, apply version restrictions, etc.), but not to binaries referenced by a module (and their dependencies).

This leads to module authors needing to package all referenced binaries (and dependency chains) in the module (e.g., on psgallery). This is an anti-pattern. This is why nuget exists. Aside from version control madness, this creates potential legal issues for module authors if they have a 3rd party binaries in their dependency chain. Now they could be "distributing" 3rd party code which is a very different matter from referencing 3rd party…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. PowerShellGet module should be open-sourced

I would like to contribute to PowerShellGet module, but there is no place where I could create an issue or send a "pull request" other than uservoice.
    Since this module is pure powershell and it is kind of open source anyway, is it possible to post the code on github, so the community can contribute?

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. semantic versioning

Semantic versioning does not work for PSGallery

Allow new versions of modules to be published according to semantic version.

Without semantic versioning, it is very difficult to evolve a module in a backwards compatible manner. Sometimes breaking changes are needed to get away from previous bad design decisions, but you still don't want to break existing clients, and wants to be able to provide bug fixes for those.

That is, allow v1.1 to be published, even if there is a v2.0.

See http://semver.org/ for details.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. This one may be a bit tougher than others. However, your point is clear – there’s no way to rev an older version of a module once you have published a major version due to a breaking change.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base