PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive module should be open source

The functionality in the Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive module is already human readable (it's just a script module with a manifest). It would be better if this was open source so that pull requests could be submitted against it to make it better (fixing the lack of custom PS drive support, supporting nupkg/other common zip package extensions, downlevel support which is easy to do). Please make it so.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. update-help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'Provisioning'

I receive the following error when running Update-Help in PowerShell.

PS C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\Provisioning> update-help
    update-help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'Provisioning' with UI culture(s) {en-US} : Unable to retrieve
    the HelpInfo XML file for UI culture en-US. Make sure the HelpInfoUri property in the module manifest is valid or
    check your network connection and then try the command again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + update-help -force
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [Update-Help], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToRetrieveHelpInfoXml,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

PowerShell info:
    PS C:> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Major Minor Build Revision

5 1 15063 138

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  10 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PowerShell Update-Help download fails for Module Appx-6-15-2017

PowerShell Update-Help download fails for Module Appx-6-15-2017

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Invoke-WebRequest should support -NoProxy parameter

Invoke-WebRequest picks up the system proxy defined in Internet Options by default. It also includes parameters -Proxy, -ProxyCredentials and -ProxyUseDefaultCredentials for changing and managing the proxy that it uses.

It would be very useful to have a -NoProxy parameter that forced a direct web connection. Currently, when this is required, the system proxy has to be disabled.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a new cmdlet - Add-Archive

I would like to suggest a new cmdlet, Add-Archive. This new cmdlet would add files into an existing Archive.

Syntax would look like:

Add-Archive [-Path] <String[]> [-DestinationPath] <String> [-CompressionLevel {Optimal | NoCompression |
    Fastest}] [-Recurse]
    [-Confirm] [-Force] [-WhatIf] [<CommonParameters>]

This would take an array of paths and files and adds them to an existing or new archive.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Write-Information should accept pipeline input

All other Write-* cmdlets accept pipeline input, which makes it possible to write, for example:

Get-Foo | Set-Bar -PassThru | Out-String | Write-Verbose

instead of the more cumbersome:

Write-Verbose (Get-Foo | Set-Bar -PassThru | Out-String)

Write-Information would be more convenient to use if it accepted pipeline input, too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Microsoft.PowerShell.Operation.Validation module has invalid HelpInfoUri

The HelpInfoUri of Microsoft.PowerShell.Operation.Validation module looks like a placeholder: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId

Since it doesn't point to a HelpInfo XML file, updatable help is failing and there's no help for the module.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Update-ModuleManifest flattening FunctionsToExport into a String

Using New-ModuleManifest with FunctionsToExport as an array creates the proper field:

FunctionsToExport = 'function1', 'function2', 'function3'

But if I run Update-ModuleManifest on the manifest file, the FunctionsToExport will get flattened to a single string:

FunctionsToExport = 'function1 function2 function3'

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry for the lag in returning to this thread.
    From the feedback, it looks like this has been corrected in 5.1, and we are unable to reproduce it internally. If someone can reproduce this with either the 5.1 preview, the client Anniversary Edition, or Server 2016 TP5 (& later) PLEASE reactivate this issue. Thank you!

9. Get-Counter throws NullReferenceException in Powershell 5.0.10586.122

PS C:\Users\Josh> get-counter
    get-counter : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    At line:1 char:1
    + get-counter
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Counter], NullReferenceException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCounterCommand

PS C:\Users\Josh> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Major Minor Build Revision

5 0 10586 122

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. I can't get the 'about comment based help' item to appear under get-help

BTW, where do you post problems (I wouldn't know if it was an actual bug, maybe I haven't loaded something). I did do the update-help. When I try to do tab completion it is stuck on the first about: aboutWS-ManagementCmdlets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

This should be fixed, there was an underlying issue with the about_ topics.
    Open PS as administrator and run update-help -force . if that does not resolve the issue, please let me know and i’ll revert the “closed” status.

11. Using Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive module in earlier versions

I can get the v5.0 archive module to work in earlier versions of Powershell by changing lines 727, 798, and 801 from "new" to New-Object as shown here:

$buffer = New-Object byte[] $bufferSize

$srcStream = New-Object System.IO.BinaryReader($currentFileStream)

$destStream = New-Object System.IO.BinaryWriter($currentArchiveEntry.Open())

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Zip files created using Compress-Archive cmdlet don't contain folders

The Compress-Archive cmdlet doesn't seem to play nicely with other operating systems. When I use 7-Zip's "Test Archive" function on a zip created with Compress-Archive, the result shows no folders.

I have a more detailed explanation of the issue on the StackOverflow question I posted here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34248903/why-wont-shopify-accept-my-themes-zip-file-when-compressed-using-powershell

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base