PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PSCore6 compatibility

I started testing Powershell from https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell and https://hub.docker.com/r/microsoft/powershell/

Sadly, it appears a lot of modules for Windows Management like ActiveDirectory, MsOnline, Azure are not working there because implemented as PSSnapIn.

Having PSCore6 compatible module published publicly would be great!

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. WinUserLanguageList : InputMethodTips has been documented as Read\Write but is only Read

PS C:\Users\Administrator> $objLanguageList=New-WinUserLanguageList -Language us-US

PS C:\Users\Administrator> $objLanguageList[0].InputMethodTips="0409:0000040C"
    'InputMethodTips' is a ReadOnly property.
    At line:1 char:1
    + $objLanguageList[0].InputMethodTips="0409:0000040C"
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PropertyAssignmentException

PS C:\Users\Administrator> $objLanguageList |Get-Member -Name InputMethodTips

TypeName: Microsoft.InternationalSettings.Commands.WinUserLanguage

Name MemberType Definition

InputMethodTips Property System.Collections.Generic.List[string] InputMethodTips {get;}

PS C:\Users\Administrator>

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    external  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

unfortunately, we don’t own this cmdlet – I would suggest filing an issue in the Windows10 Feedback Hub to track this.

3. New-ScheduledTaskSettingsSet -Compatibility Won't Set BELOW "Win7" on Server 2012 R2

New-ScheduledTaskSettingsSet -Compatibility Vista is supposed to set the compatibility to vista - but task scheduler shows "Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2".

If I set -Compatibility to Win8 it does respond and mark the task "Windows 2012 R2"

But the documented values At, V1 and Vista (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/powershell/windows/scheduled-tasks/new-scheduledtasksettingsset) all result in "Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2

If I set the schedule with schtasks.exe and an XML I can get it to read "Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008"

My main concern is that this might also be affecting the task attribute "UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine" which is not settable via PowerShell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, this cmdlet is owned by the Task Scheduler team. You will need to file this issue in the Windows Feedback Hub.

4. Exchange Online in-place ediscovery cmdlet

in-place ediscovery helps a lot for company acquisitions and migrations due to it's ability to export a mailbox into a PST file, which can then be uploaded into either another tenant, mail solution, or archiving solution. Having to create these for each individual use by hand is cumbersome and time consuming. It would be nice to have a cmdlet that allows the creation of in-place ediscovery in exchange online.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. AzureAD v2 Add/Remove Licenses

Licencing in AzureADModules is ridiculous, a one liner in the MSOnline Module has become a seven liner, WHY?!

We liked it when we could do this:
    Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName belindan@litwareinc.com -AddLicenses 'litwareinc:ENTERPRISEPACK'

and whilst i'm here, this:

Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName belindan@litwareinc.com -RemoveLicenses "litwareinc:ENTERPRISEPACK"

If you must change it, then change it to something like:
    Set-AzureADlUserLicense -ObjectID belindan@litwareinc.com -RemoveLicenses "litwareinc:ENTERPRISEPACK"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. SCCM module cmdlet creation for folders

The ConfigurationManager module does not have any *-folder cmdlets.

I would like to see some created that allow for more folder manipulation within system centre configuration manager, for example Get-CMFolder -Name "Test" would provide me with the Folder ID, Name, Heirarchical Location in ConfigMgr and more!

As well as New-CMFolder, Move-CMFolder, Remove-CMFolder, etc!

I would also like to see the ability to add -Folder to other cmdlets, such as New-CMDeviceCollection -Name "Test" -Folder "TestFolder" so the collection called Test is made in the folder called TestFolder instead of the Device Collections root.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Get-AppxPackage not accepting pipeline input

The Get-AppxPackage command does not appear to accept pipeline input.

These work:

Get-AppxPackage -Name "9E2F88E3.Twitter"
    Get-AppxPackage "9E2F88E3.Twitter"
    "9E2F88E3.Twitter" | Foreach { Get-AppxPackage $_ }

These do not work and return nothing at all:

"9E2F88E3.Twitter" | Get-AppxPackage
    "9E2F88E3.Twitter" | Select @{ Name="Name"; Expression={$_} } | Get-AppxPackage

Using the -Verbose parameter simply gives:

VERBOSE: No packages found.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug in Get-ScheduledTaskInfo

At the time's properties (LastRunTime and NextRunTime) returned minutes instead of seconds.
    Sample:
    Get-ScheduledTask | Get-ScheduledTaskInfo

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, we don’t own this cmdlet. Please use the Windows10 Feedback Hub to file an issue so the appropriate team can take a look at it.

10. Add KeepCDC flag to Smo.Restore class

Gets or sets a Boolean property value that specifies whether to maintain a change data capture configuration during a restore operation.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Bug: Add-WebConfigurationProperty does not correctly add collections

This was previously posted in the IIS uservoice section, but it seems to be abandonded. There are no MS responses on any posts, and some of them are over a year and a half old.

This is also detailed in the following Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/PowerShell/comments/57bxzd/powershellandiissettingwebdav_rules/

Summary: Add-WebConfigurationProperty does not correctly add collections

Component: Powershell IIS Module, specifically Add-WebConfigurationProperty

Version: Powershell 5 (PSVersion 5.0.10586.117, BuildVersion 10.0.10586.117)

OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter (OS Version: 6.3.9600 N/A Build 9600)

Description: When adding a configuration property that includes a collection, it does not add the element with the collection…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. With powershell send-mailmessage we are able to send the mail from any alias to anybody without there authentication.

Below powershell script allowing to send mail from any alias to anybody without there authentication. I feel there was a bug in powershell how it is allowing to send the mail without sender knowledge.

$From = "xxxxx@xxxxx.com"
    $To = "xxxxx@xxxxx.com"
    $Subject = "Test mail"
    $Body = "Test Mail"
    $SMTPServer = "..cloudmail.com"
    $SMTPPort = "25"
    Send-MailMessage -From $From -to $To -Cc $Cc -Subject $Subject -Body $Body -SmtpServer $SMTPServer -port $SMTPPort

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As stated below, this is inherent to SMTP and not an issue with PowerShell specifically.

13. BCD Module

Configuring the BCD-Store is quite a mess with Powershell. One can use bcdedit directly from the Powershell, but it´s not powershellish and I am missing a few features. There are a few WMI-Classes and methods, but they are very badly documented. I would really appreciate native bcd-cmdlets.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a Windows 10 feature and not owned by the PowerShell team. Please file a feedback request in the Windows Feedback Tool.

14. Get-MPIOSetting returns Format-List object

Get-MPIOSetting returns Format-List object:
    The cmdlet builds an Object with all the correct properties, but then passes the object to Format-List on return. Removing the FL, fixes the issue and returns the expected object.
    Windows 2012 R2, Windows 2016 - MPIO module, Get-MPIOSetting:
    'Return $MPIOSettingsOBJ | FL;'

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, the Get-MPIOSetting cmdlet isn’t managed by our team, but we’ll do our best to pass the bug on to the appropriate team.

15. Add RDSessionHost in a disabled state

Would like to use the Add-RDSessionHost command and set the NewConnectionAllowed option while added the server to a collection.
    Currently have to run the Add and then Set command separately. If using a Try/Catch script, this can fail, thus still adding the server to a collection in an enabled state, causing users to connect to a server when we don't want them to.
    Would like to be able to add a server in a disabled state to prevent this type of issue.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive cmdlets (Expand-Archive and Compress-Archive) do not support paths containing PS Drives

The Expand-Archive and Compress-Archive cmdlets in the Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive module each have several parameters that take in a file system path. These parameters currently only support standard file system paths (behind a drive letter or a UNC share) and not PowerShell FileSystem paths which may include a custom PowerShell drive (e.g. Documents:\myfile.zip). This support is easy to implement and should be added (I'd add it myself if this module was open source, which it should be).

The workaround is to explicitly use standard file system paths, either via the Resolve-Path cmdlet or by using them verbatim in your command invocation.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Cmdlet update 5.0.8373.1182 Move-cmobject no longer works

Cmdlet update 5.0.8373.1182 Move-cmobject no longer works
    I cannot move either collections or packages: No object corresponds to the specified parameters.

It is working fine in 5.0.8328.1155
    System Center 2012 R2 SP1
    Console version: 5.0.8239.1203
    Site Version: 5.00.8239.1000

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add non-Zip archive management to Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive

Expand-Archive and Compress-Archive should support other compression or packaging formats, for example .tar.

This is already supported in the PSCX module. If possible the overlapping commands should be combined in the Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive module.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a Get-Uptime cmdlet

Add a new cmdlet that returns the uptime of a computer. This is commonly used information that is present in Task Manager. Currently, in order to retrieve this information, you need to make several calls with Get-WMIObject and calculate the uptime. A simple, easy to use cmdlet would be much more preferable.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Can we get an activity bar for Get-CMDevice?

We have some 12,000 computers in SCCM. I am a very active admin and run PowerShell scripts against the environment regularly. When I have to pull down all of the computers from, say, "All Workstations" it can take a very long time. I would love to see a progress bar. Thank you for your consideration. Just for clarity, I'm talking like you would see with a Get-QADsomething command using the Quest AD tools. Thanks again!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base