PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please hide the API Key in the PowerShell Gallery UI

When you log into the PowerShell Gallery, if you click on your username you're taken to your account page. This account page contains your API Key in plain text, visible by default. Since the API Key is the key that is used to publish your modules/scripts to the Gallery, the UI should hide these "keys to the kingdom" by default with an option in the UI to show the Key. I have seen many demos of the Gallery where the API Key is shown when it simply shouldn't be shown at all, simply because the person delivering the demo clicked…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Private powershell Gallery

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a solution to manage all my powershell cmdlets.
    I want to build something similar to what Microsoft is using when you type get-help cmdlet-name -online
    Can anyone advice hot to build such a solution based on private PS gallery

Regards
    Raf

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Raf – you seem to be talking about 2 things: setting up an internal PowerShell Gallery, and providing online help.

There’s an article on how to set up an internal PowerShell Gallery (here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powershell/2014/05/20/setting-up-an-internal-powershellget-repository/).

The help content is not in the PowerShellGallery.
    In the module manifest there is a property called HelpInfoURI, which can specify where to get updatable help from.
    The instructions for how to deal with updatable help are in this topic: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852735(v=vs.85).aspx

3. Multi Line description passes Test-ScriptFileInfo but fails to publish

When I tried to publish the script https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SQLDBAWithABeard/DataScienceVM/master/New-WindowsDataScienceVM.ps1 it fails with missing description but passed the Test-FileScriptInfo prior to me trying

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  5 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. How do I configure multiple owners of a single project or item?

My colleague and I contribute to a project and both of us own it, how can I add him as a secondary owner? It appears this isn't possible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

There is documentation for this at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/gallery/psgallery/managing-item-owners

A couple tips: The user must have already registered with the PowerShell Gallery, and you must know the PowerShell Gallery user name for the individual, not just their email address.
    If they have forgotten what their user name is, have them log in. The user name will show up in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
    After that an automated email will be sent to their registered email account. If they don’t see it, have them check junk mail. Email systems regularly filter out mail coming from unknown accounts, particularly if there is a link in the mail (as will be the case for this one).

Let us know if that does not answer your questions.

5. The PowerShell Gallery should have a rating system similar to TechNet script gallery

A rating system should be leveraged to allow users to speak to the quality /usefulness of a given script. The PS Gallery allows you to sort by download count, but this is only an indication of popularity. It's certainly feasible that there are highly downloaded scripts that are unusable. Users should be able to pivot off of script rating and download count.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have implemented this by adding the ability to do “likes” for items in Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, and by adding the ability for individuals to make comments on an item.
    These two features can be used to indicate the items that are good, and to raise specific concerns for items, while avoiding the issue with “votes” where anonymous negative votes were used inappropriately.

6. PSSA errors with DSC example files

When publishing DSC resources to the PowerShell Gallery, the PS Script Analyzer incorrectly flags errors any examples with the following error:

Parse error in file ...\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Lability\0.9.8\DSCResources\xHyper-V\Examples\Sample_xVhdFileExamples.ps1: The DSC engine could not load the module 'xHyper-V'. It was not found on the system at line 27 column 9.

I would image that this affects the MS published DSC resources too. Now, I know that this doesn't currently stop the modules from being published, but presumably at some point any errors will reject the module from submission.

We need a reliable way of turning that rule off for example files. The last…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Provide Simple Instructions on Publishing to the PowerShell Gallery

Hi!

Problem:
    There aren't any official, friendly resources on publishing PowerShell modules. (e.g. https://twitter.com/Josh_Atwell/status/707940487517196288)

Why does it matter:
    We have less than 1,000 modules in the gallery. Sure, you started late, but this is an order of magnitude fewer than repositories like RubyGems, PyPI, CPAN, and more. Regardless of accuracy, would be nice if PowerShell was anywhere close to others on this chart: http://www.modulecounts.com/

Libraries (modules here) are key to the growth and use of a language. The more libraries available, the more useful PowerShell will be across use cases (beyond admin...), the more folks will get involved, and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Marking this completed, but willing to change that if you disagree…
    There are 2 topics in the PowerShell Gallery documentation that were written to address this:
    1> For the basic mechanics, see Creating and Publishing an item (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/gallery/psgallery/creating-and-publishing-an-item)
    2> For best practices, see the Publishing Guidelines topic (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/gallery/psgallery/psgallery-PublishingGuidelines)

If those do not address the ask, please let us know, either here, or in an issue in our PowerShell documentation repo at github.com/powershell/powershell-docs.

8. Add an option to view the files in RAW mode

Currently we can view the files in html mode, perhaps functionality could be added to support view in raw mode comparable GitHub.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  PowerShell Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Error while save/install Azure.Storage module

Error while save/install Azure.Storage module, tried it couple of times, so i am sure it is not internet problem.

PS> Install-Module Azure.Storage
    WARNING: Package 'Azure.Storage' failed to download ....

also tried for specific version, but same error.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This post had no additional feedback, however there were issues with the Azure modules that were addressed by the Azure team, and that look to be similar.
    Lacking additional information, we are marking this item complete.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base