PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. get-localgroup does not have SID parameter

Get-Localgroup does not have SID parameter when running x86 version.

Version: 5.1.17763.771 (x86)
    Running "(Get-LocalGroup -SID 'S-1-5-32-544').Name" will return error about non matched param.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. [BUG] Get-LocalGroupMember and unresolved SID throws error

If there is an unresolved SID in a local group the cmdlet Get-LocalGroupMember (and maybe others) throws and error.

Module: Microsoft.PowerShell.LocalAccounts

Get-LocalGroupMember : Failed to compare two elements in the array.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-LocalGroupMember -Group 'RDS Endpoint Servers'
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-LocalGroupMember], InvalidOperationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : An unspecified error occurred.,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetLocalGroupMemberCommand

If the SID is removed, the cmdlet once again works as expected.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Jbzuzgsjaahvsjshhbbbsjkkkw

موهتءحشنسةءهءتشكشءاءخنشخششخاءاءنءنءتءءخ

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide PublishedName in printmanagement cmdlet

pnputil provides the PublishedName property. This can come in handy in rare cases where Windows does not properly register and unregister a driver.

This is what I am looking for:

Microsoft PnP Utility

Adding driver package: cnp60ma64.inf
    Driver package added successfully.
    Published Name: oem20.inf <---- need this
    Driver package installed.

Total driver packages: 1
    Added driver packages: 1

Unfortunately, the printmanagement cmdlet does not provide this functionality when adding or enumerating driver objects. Add-WindowsDriver and Get-WindowsDriver do, but you can only use Add-WindowsDriver on offline images at the moment.

Is there any plan to enhance or change this?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Transcription logs data which is not visible in the console

discovered on windows 10 (1809) with powershell 5.

Name Value

PSVersion 5.1.17763.1007
    PSEdition Desktop
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion 10.0.17763.1007
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

steps to reproduce from a command prompt:

powershell -noprofile
    start-transcript
    try{get-command -name 'boom' -erroraction 'stop'} catch{}
    stop-transcript
    exit

the command prompt correctly shows no indication of an error, since the error was caught.

the transcript will incorrectly show an indication of an error with a line starting ">> TerminatingError".

this behavior does not exist in powershell 2.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. PowerShell needs to support right-click copy & paste like a modern shell/terminal interface

Support inline right-click copy and paste for PowerShell. Although this may be an issue specific to PowerShell, MobaXTerm on Windows supports it just fine, so either PowerShell or Windows Terminal is doing something wrong.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Run command as administrator in non administrative session

Similar to "sudo !!" in linux, I'd like a way to run commands that require elevation without having to open a new PowerShell session as admin.

Let me type the command then see a UAC prompt or ask for the password.

This would mostly just apply to a local Windows machine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add-VPNConnection AlwaysOn

Trying to create a script to Add Always On VPN connections for remote users. The available scripts are so convoluted. I could easily do what I need if I could simply add the -AlwaysOn switch to Add-VPNConnection.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Get-AuthenticodeSignature only returns first Signature

Get-AuthenticodeSignature only returns the 1st digital signature listed. There can be multiple signatures for a file which can be seen via the file properties.

We should either return a list of signatures or introduce a separate List-AuthenticodeSignature which will allow systems to properly inspect all signatures.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Installation does NOT show the [reload] button

Installing VSCode for Powershell Dev - I followed the instructions in
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/components/vscode/using-vscode?view=powershell-7
    and got stucked at step (2.f) -- where it says after the INSTALL, the INSTALL button turns to RELOAD. Theh to click RELOAD.
    What should I do? Would be highly grateful for some direction.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Powershell webadministration module commandlet new-WebApplication fails in double-hop

in the WebAdministration module, the commandlet "new-WebApplication" fails if the physicalPath is a UNC location.

AppCmd.exe and the .NET lib Microsoft.Web.Administration do not have this limitation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Start-Job on Windows Server 2016 hangs Powershell

Start-Job seems to sometimes cause the calling thread to hang. If you create a loop in ISE and spin off a bunch of jobs, inevitably it will hang. This has only been tested using a ScriptBlock.

As a workaround, you can use threads to do the heavy lifting and so if they fail to start the job, just recreate the thread.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. add tcpdump equivalent cmdlet in powershell

I hope powershell have a cool module about the network tool ,make them work like tcpdump , netcat in linux.

It's very very cool things , will make me fly in our daily task.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Memory leaks while using powershell runspace in .NET

I found a huge memory leak in project which appears after execution PS command. Here I create example that represent my problem in "TestCase" comment.

After memory usage investigation I found that most of memory occupied by inner structures from System.Management.Automation. So I start to search the way to release resources and found that the same behavior can be reproduced in PS:
    Get-Module -ListAvailable | ForEach { Import-Module $_.Name }
    Get-Command -ListImported -CommandType Cmdlet,Alias

I already have tried to initiated garbage collecting and to remove all new variables that appears after script execution. I even have tried to start new…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Test-NetConnection - Please Add Switch to Skip Ping, Too Slow With Ping

On many networks ICMP traffic is dropped, which makes waiting for an ICMP ping pointless. Please change the default behavior to skip the ping test, and/or add a switch to skip the ping test. Test-NetConnection is too slow when querying more than a couple ports on a host.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Are the Name and/or ProcessName properties of Get-Process wrong?

The Name and the ProcessName properties of the Get-Process, Stop-Process and Wait-Process CmdLets seems to use the wrong process names compared to the Win32_Process WMI class and other process related tools such as Windows task manager.
    Where WMI and task manager lists task names like Notepad.exe or Calculator.exe, Get-Process returns just "Notepad" or "Calculator" and Stop-Process requires me to specify these shortened names too.
    I understand that I can get the full name of the executable by specifying the -FileVersionInfo with Get-Process but it still doesn't allow me to search for a process using it's real process name.

Couldn't at…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. add -showprogress in copy-item, move-item

When copying large directories (or large single files) it would be nice to have progress available, so I can judge how long it will take. Adding -ShowProgress would be fantastic.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. New-SMBShare -Temporary seems to do nothing

New-SMBShare -Temporary should remove the share after a reboot but that's nothing happening

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. [Bug] Flaw in Cmdlet Where-Object: Unexpected output for option -LT when entering a wrong property name

Hello there, not too sure where to post my findings as this is my first time reporting a Windows bug, so I hope I chose the right category.

I discovered a potential bug in the Cmdlet Where-Object which involves the -LT option and misspelling the selection property. I reproduced the error on a clean VM of Windows 10 (please refer to the images attached), although I initially noticed this bug in Windows Server 2016. Instead of no output due to the wrong spelling of the property "Length", the initial output of the command piped into Where-Object is listed. This might…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Modules not recognized in Powershell 5.1

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. After some time I recognized that Ctrl-R (back-i-search) did not work anymore. I tried to follow instructions of #350 to resolve the problem. But when I tried to call Get-PSReadLineOption or Install-Module I got errors.

I also tried deleting the whole powershell folder c:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\ and ran sfc /scannow but still ctrl-r is not working.

Environment

```
    Windows build number: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.592]
    Powershell Version (if applicable):
    Major Minor Build Revision

5 1 18362 145
    ```

Steps to reproduce

Install-Module

Expected behavior

cmdlet Install-Module at command pipeline position 1
    Supply…