PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.

Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Register-ScheduledTask

Register-ScheduledTask -password parameter should accept secure string or PScredential. Currently it accept plain text and the password shows up in event log when register

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for NPM type version strings in PowerShell module manifest

packages.json in NPM (NodeJS in general) supports prefixes in the version string to specify a minimum required with minor and minor/patch versions being a variable. For example,

The tilde matches the most recent minor version (the middle number). ~1.2.3 will match all 1.2.x versions but won't match 1.3.0.

The caret provides better flexibility. It will refer to the most recent major version (the first number). ^1.2.3 will match any 1.x.x release including 1.3.0, but will hold off on 2.0.0.

Also, an asterisk (*) indicates that the latest version of the module is needed.

Implementing this type of version specification in…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Powershell Windows defender bug

I found a bug with windows defender cmdlets!
    Cmdlet:
    set-mppreference -scanscheduletime
    set-mppreference -scanschedulequickscantime

Providing an argument in format HH:mm works for values from 00:00 to 16:59 works as expected and when running get-mppreference the scanscheduletime and scanschedulequickscantime fields show the time requested.

Providing a time past 7pm (17:00) and then running get-mppreference shows the time in the format 2982615.22:16:00, which i believe means ~3 million days in the future.

windows 10 enterprise build 171314
    windows server 2016 datacenter build 14393

Please let me know if you would like any further details!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Which server member in a cluster holds the quorum disk (Active/Passive)

Every month we have to go thru a list of servers sometimes as many as 800 plus servers and determine which of the 2 member servers of a cluster holds the quorum disk. Could be 2 or 4 nodes in the cluster. Helps when running our patching process and how we schedule our patching process. TIA - Bob

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. OpenSource NetTCPIP and put it in a GitHub repo.

I am extremely annoyed by Test-NetConnection and would like to make it better. Why is there not a skip ICMP flag, or a timeout flag?

Please, OpenSource this so the community could improve this tooling for all.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add 'StopExisting' as a valid argument for New-ScheduledSettingsSet -MultipleInstances

Only Parallel, Queue, and IgnoreNew are supported right now. One would expect that the option available from the Task Scheduler GUI would be available in the powershell interface.

Steps to reproduce

$a = New-ScheduledTaskSettingsSet -MultipleInstances StopExisting

Expected behavior

The task's multiple instances policy is set to kill existing tasks before starting another instance.
    Actual behavior

value "StopExisting" to type "Microsoft.PowerShell.Cmdletization.GeneratedTypes.ScheduledTask.MultipleInstancesEnum".
    Error: "Unable to match the identifier name StopExisting to a valid enumerator name. Specify one of the following
    enumerator names and try again:
    Parallel, Queue, IgnoreNew"
    At line:1 char:131
    + ... ngOnBatteries -ExecutionTimeLimit $b -MultipleInstances StopExisting
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Windows PowerShell ISE freezes in windows 10

Windows powershell ISE freezes very often after running even simple command. This has been happening since we moved to Windows 10.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there,

We haven’t heard anything about this from anyone else, so I’m guessing there might be something messed up with your machine configuration. Would you mind posting the output of $PSVersionTable. Also, is this happening on all Win10 machines across your deployment? Do you have similar issues when using powershell.exe isnstead of PowerShell ISE, or is it limited to the ISE?

Thanks,
    Joey

8. Get-DhcpServerv4Lease is not available in Windows 10. Remove the reference or update the text.

Get-DhcpServerv4Lease : The term 'Get-DhcpServerv4Lease' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the
    name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-DhcpServerv4Lease
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Get-DhcpServerv4Lease:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Remote powershell should not return error for FileSystem validation

SCENARIO
    On Machine1:
    SCHTASKS /Create /RU SYSTEM /SC ONSTART /TN "Map I drive" /TR "net use I: \\someServer\someShare somePassword /user:someDomain\someUser"

On Machine2 run:
    $Script = { Write-Output "Hello world!" }
    Invoke-Command -ComputerName Machine1 -ScriptBlock $Script

As a result you get "Hello world!" but also an error
    "Attempting to perform the InitializeDefaultDrives operation on the 'FileSystem' provider failed."

The error belongs to I drive which should have been returned as a warning and not error. The invoke does not even use the I drive so why fail on it (we in this case dont even want the invoke to have access…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PowerShell StackOverFlowException: get-childitem -path HKLM:\ -recurse -include *Windows*

PowerShell has a bug in it which causes a "StackOverFlowException" when running the following command:
    get-childitem -path HKLM:\ -recurse -include *Windows*

It was originally reproduced while looking for something different than:
    Windows

This is consistently reproducible in latest updates applied of Windows 10 x64 Business and Home, with both PowerShell.exe, and ISE, x86 and standard.

$PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Major Minor Build Revision
    ----- ----- ----- --------
    5 1 16299 98

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PowerShell Engine  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SendMail needs ReplyTo parameter

This is a standard SMTP option and glaring oversite in PowerShell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. How do I download modules manually from gallery behind a firewall/proxy?

For companies like banks which are very restrictive regarding internet downloads, I have no internet connectivity directly from powershell, only from my browsers. As such I cannot use install-module from powershell.

Our desktops are only windows 7 but locked down running ps version 2 and powershell console doesn't have proxy access. I cannot run install-module on my servers neither as my servers have no internet connection.

Is there a workaround to download a module manually as a zipped file so that I can I unzip and install them manually in my server?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Collapsed region in dark mode is hardly visible

When using the dark theme in ISE, a collapsed region is hardly visible because the font color is black and the background darkblue. There is no way the set the colors for a collapse region in the theme editor.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  3 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. copy-item

Add -Directory and -File switch parameters to Copy-Item, just like Get-ChildItem.

A -File switch would make it possible to avoid copying empty folders. Also, in some situations (see [question posted on StackOverflow](https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48026637/powershell-copy-item-doesnt-copy-when-filter-is-used/48026959?noredirect=1#comment83054046_48026959) getting the desired result requires Convert-Path | Copy-Item, but then "already exists" errors arise due to copying the folder multiple times. A -Files switch would avoid those errors. (Currently, you'd have to add -Force if you want to suppress the errors.)

A -Directory switch would provide an equivalent to xcopy /T.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add a PowerShell module to manage Windows Updates

Add a PowerShell module to manage Windows Updates like you can now with the GUI. Like checking for updates, installing all updates, or a selection of updates, creating a report of pending updates, etc. The Windows Update options in the Server Configuration Manager (sconfig) are very limited.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    survey  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

We don’t own the creation of modules for operating system features. I’ll mark this as Survey so we can provide this information to the WU team, but you might also want to consider filing this in the Windows 10 Feedback Hub. Also, see the community-created PSWindowsUpdate link below :)

16. Get-Credential does not support Smart Card user name hints

If you utilize Smart Cards with certificates that are not directly linked to users (no suitable user DN in Subject and no UPNs in SANs), you are able to link a single certificate to multiple accounts dynamically with the caveat that users need to provide explicit user name hints during logon in order to log on.

User name hints need to be enabled via GPO or registry settings ("X509HintsNeeded"), after which all standard credential dialogs in Windows support them, except PowerShell's Get-Credential. This effectively prevents using PowerShell remoting with such Smart Cards / certificates if different credentials are required.

In…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add ExportTo-Markdown

Hi

Using Markdown is common nowadays in VCS tools like Git for readme files.

Plus it's handy to get a tabular strcture for better visibility.

Example use cases:
    - Get-Process output comparison at different dates and time
    - SQL query results in tabular form with column names as headers

So it'd be someInput|ExportTo-MarkDown

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make PowerShell PKI module cross-platform with PS Core incl New-SelfSignedCertificate

PowerShell Core doesn't include the PKI module, which has the New-SelfSignedCertificate cmdlet. It would be great to have it available cross-platform.

Hence the feature request to make the PKI module cross-platform and compatible with PS Core to be distributed in the PowerShell Gallery: https://www.powershellgallery.com

Feature request with PS Core team and the reference to this UserVoice here:
    https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/issues/3715

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Microsoft.PowerShell.* Modules  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Keep/Do not reset PowerShell settings on Windows upgrade

Keep fonts, colors, sizes etc on Windows upgrade.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ISE and tooling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Get-Help Get-ChildItem -Online redirects to 404 page

On PowerShell 5.1, this links to http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh847897(v=wps.630).aspx, which redirects to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/4.0/microsoft.powershell.core/providers/FileSystem-Provider/Get-ChildItem-for-Filesystem, which is a 404 page.

At least three issues with this:

1) The URL above is specific for PS 4.0, but I'm on 5.1
    2) The resultant page is a 404 error. Changing the initial URL to http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh847897.aspx redirects to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/5.1/microsoft.powershell.core/providers/FileSystem-Provider/Get-ChildItem-for-Filesystem, but,
    3) If you change the URL from 4.0 to 1.0, 2.0, 5.0, or 5.1, you'll still get the 404 error. If you change that number to 3.0, you get redirected to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/providers/filesystem-provider/get-childitem-for-filesystem?view=powershell-5.1&viewFallbackFrom=powershell-Microsoft.PowerShell.Core
    4) There's two different kinds of Get-ChildItem online help: the "Get-ChildItem for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base