Installation and Patching

How can we improve the installation and patching of Windows Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix Windows Updates on Server 2016

Please fix Windows Updates on Server 2016 to allow more control in search and installing updates, similar to previous Windows Server versions. The inability to control which updates can be applied is outrageous! The ability for updates to install without any control is mind boggeling. FIX THIS AT ONCE!!!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix Windows Update to Expire Cumulative Updates When New One Released

Why is my Windows Server 2016 1607 installing, in order:
    2018-05 Cumulative Update
    (Download, reboot)
    2018-06 Cumulative Update
    (Download, reboot)
    2018-07 Cumulative Update
    (Download, reboot)

If the update is cumulative, should not only the last one be requited? This is an incredibly wasteful and annoying time sink.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Deployment & Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "BUG by Design" in Windows Server 2019 (Windows Updates)

Hi,

That is a bug in Windows Server 2019!

We have Group Policy for Windows Updates and use in our infrastracture WSUS. According to Group Policy, the updates will be downloaded to the system, and then an administrator will install manually the downloaded updates.

We tested Windows Updates onsome Windows Server 2019 machines.

If the click "Check for updates", then the updates will be downloaded and automatically installed!!! That is fatal!

If I check "View configured update policy", then our policy are listed for the updates. It seems all are correct.

"BUG by Design"?

Best regards

Birdal

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Resume allowing unused features to be removed from Windows Server 2019

Using the following PowerShell snipet to remove the binaries from unused roles and features worked great in Windows Server 2012-2016.

Get-WindowsFeature | Where-Object {$PSItem.InstallState -eq "Available"} | Uninstall-WindowsFeature -Remove

When used in conjunction with Features on Demand this results in smaller install footprints for VMs and VM templates. Doing so in Windows Server 2019 breaks future CU installs due to the new PSFX update engine (error code 0x800F0982 PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND is returned).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Roles & Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix Windows updates!

Does anyone else out there feel the same as I do about Microsoft and their completely broken update system.

I am at my wits end with these huge cumulative updates that just fail 90% of the time on every Server and Windows 10 PC. I have to spend so much time manually installing these updates and it is got to the point where I am beginning to really hate Microsoft! I used to be a loyal fan of their tech but my patience is now at an all time low.

Sort it Microsoft, tell your update team that they have…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Update  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Storage Migration Service and System insight missing on Evaluation installation

Storage Migration Service and System Insight features missing if windows instance installed by using Windows Server 2019 Evauation Media (1/17 re-release 17763.253 ver) . I there any reason?

Product media:
    PS C:\> Get-WindowsFeature
    [ ] SNMP サービス SNMP-Service Available
    [ ] WMI SNMP プロバイダー SNMP-WMI-Provider Available
    [ ] Storage Migration Service SMS Available
    [ ] Storage Migration Service Proxy SMS-Proxy Available
    [X] System Data Archiver System-DataArchiver Installed
    [ ] System Insights System-Insights Available
    [ ] Telnet Client Telnet-Client Available

Evaluation media:
    PS C:\> Get-WindowsFeature
    [ ] SNMP サービス SNMP-Service Available
    [ ] WMI SNMP プロバイダー SNMP-WMI-Provider Available …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Roles & Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Set e-mail configuration in WSUS API

We can configure a new WSUS server using the COM API and PowerShell cmdlets for every option in the UI except for setting the e-mail notifications.

We can Get them:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/aa349873(v%3Dvs.85)

...but there's no way to Set them.

At my company, the build is fully automated including installation and configuration of WSUS, but for the e-mail notification settings.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. [New tool] [WSUS] WSUS Server should be manageable via Windows Admin Center

On the Windows Admin Center Manager WSUS, allow updates, allow machines, create groups ...

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 01606

not able to print from this comp.?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. make "scheduled install day/time" GPO setting work for server 2016

the "Scheduled install day" and "scheduled install time" group policy settings under "computer/administrative templates/windows components/windows update/configure automatic updates" are being ignored by server 2016 in favor of "active hours." having active hours on servers is utterly ridiculous. I need certain servers to reboot in a certain order only on Saturday nights.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Update  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow CNAME to be used for the WSUS SSL certificate

Switching WSUS to run on SSL is easy, but you can only configure it to use a certificate that matches the hostname.

We're in the age where servers are in the cloud and can be regularly rebuilt using automation, where the default hostname will change with each rebuild.

This means that, if you're using a DNS CNAME to point clients to your WSUS server, you can't run WSUS on SSL.

If we could configure WSUS to use a certificate that is issued using a CNAME, we can point the CNAME to the new server, and everything works. No need to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please provide full information what is fixed in cumulative updates

Please provide full information what is fixed in cumulative updates. What kind of information is this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4038782
    Security updates to Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel-mode drivers, Windows shell, Microsoft Uniscribe, Microsoft Edge, Windows scripting, Device Guard, Windows TPM, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Hyper-V, Windows kernel, and the Windows DHCP Server.

We need proper description of fixes for an OS we pay licenses.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Update  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. pwsh should have an install, probably via 'make install' for linux versions

Currently for arch it looks like someone dissassembles your .deb package and moves things around. It would be a lot easier on us to just be able to make install, or at least for a suggested folder structure to go into the .tar.gz. At very least, the files should be put into a subdirectory as is the norm with all linux installs. I ruined my download folder with the current package

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment & Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. WSUS Console search improvements

WSUS should have an easy way to search for all updates for a specific product

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. FIX the Windows Update Log issues with Windows 10 and Server 2016

Include al necessary symbol files and updates to base OS and current updates. Many environments do not allow server access (and in some instances workstation access) to the internet to update symbol files as needed. I have tried every posted articles suggestions on getting the windows update log into useful, understandable English, with the only success being to reimage my windows 10 Enterprise desktop. I refuse to do so with my domain 2016 servers!

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. URGENT: Seperate Category for Preview Update Rollups needed!

Actually it is not really possible to use automatic acknowledgement rules without acknowledgeing any Preview security or preview feature upates for Windows 7, 8.1 etc.

Please put them a seperate WSUS Category e.g. preview rollups so that an effective testing can be made with rulesets and a test group of computers.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Please implement effective filtering options in Microsoft Update Catalog Search

I am missing to have more options than just a very common keyword search in Microsoft Update Catalog.

setting up filters like OS version, branch, x86 / x64 and update categories AND date equal / greater than would be amazingly helpful to find a specific group of updates.

Admit it, the current search is not very helpful if you are NOT searching for a specific KB but a set of updates.

E.g. try to enlist all Windows 2003 Server Updates released after January 2017. Good luck, trying.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Update  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Separate Windows 10 by branch / version

Actually Windows 10 on WSUS is only reflected by a major product category and LTSB.

It would be much better if you could add a product category for each branch / release:

such as:
    Windows 10 1507 (LTSB 2015)
    Windows 10 1511
    Windows 10 1607 (LTSB 2016, CBB)
    Windows 10 1703 (CB)

This would allow companies with a good patch management to effectively avoid downloading CU patches for Windows 10 that they do not use and also would help to categorize updates in the views.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Increase Active Hours from 12 hours to 22 hours

The current 12 hour window for "Active Hours" needs to be longer so the updates/reboots can happen in the middle of the night.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Implement complete removal of unsused products in WSUS 3.x

Please implement an ability to really get rid off unused products in WSUS 3.x

Example:
    A company once used XP and 7 and now upgraded to Windows 10. However it is not possible to really purge old products from the WSUS database.

The Update files can be removed using the cleanup wizard, but the entries in the MSSQL DB will remain.

Especially if one has once used the older drivers category that has been reorganized for Windows 10, this causes a lot of performance issues and only a fresh WSUS without adding old products and categories will help.

This is…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base