Installation and Patching

How can we improve the installation and patching of Windows Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix Windows Update to Expire Cumulative Updates When New One Released

Why is my Windows Server 2016 1607 installing, in order:
    2018-05 Cumulative Update
    (Download, reboot)
    2018-06 Cumulative Update
    (Download, reboot)
    2018-07 Cumulative Update
    (Download, reboot)

If the update is cumulative, should not only the last one be requited? This is an incredibly wasteful and annoying time sink.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Deployment & Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. pwsh should have an install, probably via 'make install' for linux versions

Currently for arch it looks like someone dissassembles your .deb package and moves things around. It would be a lot easier on us to just be able to make install, or at least for a suggested folder structure to go into the .tar.gz. At very least, the files should be put into a subdirectory as is the norm with all linux installs. I ruined my download folder with the current package

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment & Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Implement GUI and easier XML rule creation for USMT (Windows 10 ADK)

It is cool to see that ADK will be updated with every new Windows 10 release but USMT seems to complicated for new admins.

Please implement a GUI and a visual creation for the XML files to control this service.

I personally don't want to study a book to make it work right.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment & Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. power saving in server SKU's

Windows servers share the same power saving option than in workstations (balanced).
    As servers are designed to work with high load default setting should be high or similar.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Support to boot from SD Card

It's about time that Windows Server (fully licensed product and Hyper-V Server) offered support for customers (not just OEMs) to deploy Hyper-V hosts and Windows Serverson SD cards. I have talked to the OEMs and they want it too. The h/w is already there for vSphere - fault tolerant on-board dual card readers. This will reduce costs of hosts and make for faster & easier deployment.

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Deployment & Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base