Installation and Patching

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement WID reindexing and DB shrinking for WSUS on WID

There exist a technet site with a maintenance SQL script to reindex the WID for WSUS 3.x, it would be great if you could implement this into the GUI, aside having a capability to backup and restore, aswell as shrinking the WID database.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide search option in 'Add Server Roles and Features' wizard

When selecting server roles and (specially features that is a long list and nested), provide an option to search for them. it will help to quickly find required roles/features for installation/uninstallation.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Roles & Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support WsusContent folder dedup in Server OS.

It sure would be nice if the WsusContent folder would work with the dedup in Server OS. With Express Updates enabled for Windows 10 deltas this folder grows and grows. Performing a few test cases dedup saves 50% or more however it breaks WSUS.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Upgrading Windows 2012 x Server to Windows Server 2016+

Please find a way for upgrading simple Windows 2012 x Servers to Windows Server 2016 +

"simple" means Server with (imho) simple rolls such as
    - file and print Servers
    - hyper-v Server
    - RDS

I understand that complex server scenarios with applications can't not simple upgraded.
    However, there are many simple servers, where you could save lots of time with an upgrade.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Upgrade & MIgrate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Stop advertising unnecessary updates for server OS

Each month for the last 2 years, a manual check of Microsoft Update reveals a lot of what I call junk or unwanted updates. For example, why in the earth should a Win2008/2012 server receive updates related to Surface3? Or why is some obscure critical updates presented on an English Server OS, when the fix is for some excotic Chinese languge setting? If somebody would really ready all the KB articles that follow each month, you would be really astonished over the sheer number of unwanted updates. And it takes time to download, deploy and install. Not a problem if…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Patch Behaviors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Resume allowing unused features to be removed from Windows Server 2019

Using the following PowerShell snipet to remove the binaries from unused roles and features worked great in Windows Server 2012-2016.

Get-WindowsFeature | Where-Object {$PSItem.InstallState -eq "Available"} | Uninstall-WindowsFeature -Remove

When used in conjunction with Features on Demand this results in smaller install footprints for VMs and VM templates. Doing so in Windows Server 2019 breaks future CU installs due to the new PSFX update engine (error code 0x800F0982 PSFXEMATCHINGCOMPONENTNOT_FOUND is returned).

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Roles & Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improve the performance of WSUS to inventory and deploy patch on server

Improve the time to see the missing patchs of a server in WSUS after use the command "wuauclt /detectnow" or change the system detection to have the same reactivity like Windows Update on internet.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ease migration from Windows Server 2016 to Windows Server Semi-Annual

It would be nice to have a way to easily upgrade or migrate from Windows Server 2016 to Windows Server Semi-Annual

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Upgrade & MIgrate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. KB4015553 on Windows Server 2012 R2 with SQL 2008 R2 creates System Kernel Process Handle/Thread Leak

KB4015553 on a Windows Server 21012 R2 with SQL 2008 R2 creates a System Kernel Process Handle/Thread Leak. It is easy to see in the Task Manager after adding the Handle/Thread count columns. The counts increase nearly 1 per second until the OS and system is unresponsive and collapses.

Another indicator is in the event logs, 4231 events appear: Description:
    A request to allocate an ephemeral port number from the global TCP
    port space has failed due to all such ports being in use.

But the ephemeral port alert is not the root cause.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Patch Behaviors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide better WSUS scheduling and force scans of systems.

I would like to be able to select all updates I want and push them out at different times. Then have WSUS scan the systems again and push remainder of updates out until my servers are fully patched. I would also like to be able to fire updates out based on adhoc server right off the bat and watch progress.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Server Mode  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. WSUS does not display the operating system for Windows 2016 servers as 2016 servers. It shows them as Window 10 machines.

WSUS 2012 does not display the operating system for Windows 2016 servers as 2016 servers. It shows them as Window 10 machines.

. Background
    WSUS 2012 does not display the operating system for Windows 2016 servers as 2016 servers. It shows them as Window 10 machines.

Problem Description
    This creates a fair amount of confusion as we know these are Server 2016 systems but we can’t be certain that they’re being updated properly without examining each system to ensure it has the current platform-specific updates

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Remove supersedence logic from Server 2012 R2 security patches

Currently the non quality security updates are superseded by the security quality updates. This causes most of the standard reporting to break for companies that do not need or want the quality updates for security patches. 3rd party scanners also will show servers as non patched if a company only installs the non quality package. Please do not set the quality updates to supersede the non quality updates. This will prevent companies from having to spend large amounts of development time to rework their processes that worked for several years.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. "BUG by Design" in Windows Server 2019 (Windows Updates)

Hi,

That is a bug in Windows Server 2019!

We have Group Policy for Windows Updates and use in our infrastracture WSUS. According to Group Policy, the updates will be downloaded to the system, and then an administrator will install manually the downloaded updates.

We tested Windows Updates onsome Windows Server 2019 machines.

If the click "Check for updates", then the updates will be downloaded and automatically installed!!! That is fatal!

If I check "View configured update policy", then our policy are listed for the updates. It seems all are correct.

"BUG by Design"?

Best regards

Birdal

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Windows update troubleshooter (server 2016)

Windows update troubleshooter (fully patched server 2016) using the built-in tool always reports 0x80070057 "potential windows update database error detected" If you run the tool available here then no errors are reported. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Update  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. IIS logging for WSUS

Minimize number of 500 errors in IIS logs due to recycling of WSUS AppPool during client scans as it causes excessive false positives in monitoring systems.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. ADK download

this is only available as a mini-download, with a subsequent download.
    the deployment tools should be available as a smaller easier msi to handle.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Images  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. WSUS Server Should Be Manageable Using PowerShell 7

PowerShell 7 does not support the WSUS module. The module is not loaded by default as it does not support .NET Core. And if loaded via the compatibility mechanism, the deserialized objects returned have no methods thus can not be used.

There are, I am sure, some significant issues in improving this module such that it runs with .NET Core 3. I also understand SOAP is involved in these cmdlets, which may well complicate a quicky and dirty solution.

That being said, PowerShell 7 provides some very significant performance enhancements, particularly involving large collections (like all the computers in a…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Windows Update Group Policy Feature to allow clients to download approved updates directly from Microsoft

I have a local WSUS server, it stores all my updates for my local users, I approve the updates and everything is great. At the same time I have bunch of remote offices that have faster WAN connections than VPN/MPLS.

I can setup a second WSUS server, point it at my upstream server at HQ and tell it to not store the updates. All clients connecting to this server will fetch updates from Microsoft.

Why not make this a simple binary GPO overwrite instead of adding the complexity?

Force client to fetch windows update binaries from Microsoft

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Configuration process - wait for Update to complete, before "auto-restart"

Hi Dev Team,

Configuration process (Add / Remove Roles) should check if Updates are being downloaded / installed, before restarting the system.

Cheers

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base