Installation and Patching

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. WSUS Console search improvements

WSUS should have an easy way to search for all updates for a specific product

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Patch Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow adding a shortcut for Windows Update UI on Server 2016

In Windows Server 2012 R2 or earlier you could create a shortcut to the Windows Update section of the control panel. In 2016 you can no longer (that I could find) do this. While most all of our updating/patching is automated sometimes and for a few servers we manually update.

Having this shortcut saves me from having to search for "windows update" every time I need to go to use it.

Can we add a method for creating a shortcut to put on the task bar or on the desktop to Windows Update? If it's already available how does one…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Update  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Update WSUS to allow Azure Active Directory Authentication

Can WSUS be updated to use Azure Active Directory Authentication in addition to Windows Integrated? I'd love to be able to offload the WSUS database into the Azure Cloud Database As A Service - SQL Database offering.

As an added bonus, it would also be great if it could also use Azure's new 'Managed Identity Provider' so that, if I have WSUS hosted on an Azure VM, it can just grab needed authorizations through there.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Increase limit of 3rd party categories in WSUS

Currently there is a limit of 100 3party (non-microsoft) categories in WSUS.

We are using a 3party patchsupplier (Shavlik, now Ivanti) and this limit of 100 categories is a big limitation for us.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PowerShell for Windows Deployment Services lacking and/or broken

Trying to automate the process of building boot image and installation image into WDS. It is nice to see some PowerShell commands, but there are still things that appear not to be possible to do with PowerShell and must resort to WDSutil. For example, I cannot find a cmdlet to create a new driver group. I have to issue the wdsutil command to create the driver group. I can then add all my drivers into the group using PowerShell, but then there does not appear to be a way to use PowerShell to filter the drivers by group to be…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  WDS & MDT  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Get-WsusComputer -ComputerUpdateStatus failed -ComputerTargetGroups clients <-- this lists ALL in the target group, instead of only those

Get-WsusComputer -ComputerUpdateStatus failed -ComputerTargetGroups clients <-- this lists ALL in the target group, instead of only those that have status=failed

Same result if I use -IncludedInstallationStates Failed too.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  WSUS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. When a system is using WSUS, the Delivery Optimization interface should be disabled.

Currently, when a system is configured via GPO to use WSUS, the user can still to go 'Settings' / 'Update & Security' / 'Advanced Options' / 'Choose how updates are delivered' and change the settings.

Since these settings have no effect on a machine that is using WSUS, the Choose how updates are delivered link on the 'Update & Security' / 'Advanced Options' interface should be disabled.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Server 2019 - Do not force updates to be installed automatically

On Server 2019 you should have the option to see the newly released updates, select which ones to install, and be able to manually install them when desired in all situations. Updates should not be automatically installed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Update  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. pwsh should have an install, probably via 'make install' for linux versions

Currently for arch it looks like someone dissassembles your .deb package and moves things around. It would be a lot easier on us to just be able to make install, or at least for a suggested folder structure to go into the .tar.gz. At very least, the files should be put into a subdirectory as is the norm with all linux installs. I ruined my download folder with the current package

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment & Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. KB4035036 - .NET Preview August 2017 for .NET 4.6.1 installs .NET 4.7 DLLs

Hi All,

it looks like that ndp46-kb4033990-x64 one of the Updates included in
    KB4035036-August 2017 Preview of the Quality Rollups for the .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, and 4.7 for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/4035036)

patches the wrong .NET 4.6.1 DLLs on a Windows 2008 R2 Server.

Registry sill says .NET 4.6.1 (394271) is installed, but

the new patched files have a signature from 4.7.
    For e.g: mscorlib.dll has after the patch 4.7.2106.0.

There a some third-party products, that have problems with .NET 4.7, like OpenEdge Progress.(https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/gui-net-application-crashes-after-net-upgrade-to-4-7).

And after…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Patch Behaviors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. BUG: Cleaning up WID for WSUS on Windows 2008 R2 causes DB timeouts

this is a known bug but I think rather than reindexing and cleaning up the WSUS DB with a SQL script you could fix this programmatically.

The issue is know an happens during the first stage of the wizard when cleaning up old updates.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Implement GUI and easier XML rule creation for USMT (Windows 10 ADK)

It is cool to see that ADK will be updated with every new Windows 10 release but USMT seems to complicated for new admins.

Please implement a GUI and a visual creation for the XML files to control this service.

I personally don't want to study a book to make it work right.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployment & Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bigger problem is automatic installation of buggy patches!!!!

Scary part about Windows Server patching is when Microsoft issues a buggy patches that disables SQL server, Exchange server or causes BSODs! We have seen all of that lately causing widespread chaos for Systems Administrators. Always WAIT for patches to be one or two months old if possible before deploying. You do not want to volunteer to be a Microsoft Patch Beta Tester! Luckily Microsoft has a method to boot offline to a USB stick or CDROM now that lets you undo the bad patch on an unbootable system but still causes a lot of stress and headaches for sysadmins.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please split security update and feature update from cumulative update and let administrators decide what they need to install

Please split security update and feature update from cumulative update and let administrators decide what they need to install

-- TLDR; Too long don't read --

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/baa4a8b1-39b7-4dd3-b692-bdab5ccd30ae/what-is-best-practice-to-keep-windows-server-201620122008-most-secured-and-high-available?forum=winservergen

Here is a reddit thread why people don't like windows updates.

Warning: If you are a Microsoft's employee or fans, you will definitely not like it. Don't read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/dv6k1z/whyiswindowsupdatealwaysthetop_reason/

Why is Windows update always the top reason people don't like Microsoft Windows?

Hi Ahmed MALEK,

Thanks for your reply. Since Microsoft decides to deliver cumulative updates only(I don't know, maybe in these two years), I guess the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Update  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Images  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Windows Malicious Software Removal November 2019 reinstall

I have posted on Technet forums about this as well: Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool November 2019 reinstalling each time I run Windows Update on Windows Server 2019 (build 17763.864 ) . It ia not re-downloaded, just re-installed (re-ran) Is this a bug? I guess so, I hope the machine is not infected with some nasty thing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Storage Migration Service and System insight missing on Evaluation installation

Storage Migration Service and System Insight features missing if windows instance installed by using Windows Server 2019 Evauation Media (1/17 re-release 17763.253 ver) . I there any reason?

Product media:
    PS C:&gt; Get-WindowsFeature
    [ ] SNMP サービス SNMP-Service Available

[ ] WMI SNMP プロバイダー                                 SNMP-WMI-Provider              Available

[ ] Storage Migration Service SMS Available
    [ ] Storage Migration Service Proxy SMS-Proxy Available
    [X] System Data Archiver System-DataArchiver Installed
    [ ] System Insights System-Insights Available
    [ ] Telnet Client Telnet-Client Available

Evaluation media:
    PS C:&gt; Get-WindowsFeature
    [ ] SNMP サービス SNMP-Service Available

[ ] WMI SNMP プロバイダー                                 SNMP-WMI-Provider              Available

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Roles & Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 01606

not able to print from this comp.?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)