How can we improve the installation and patching of Windows Server?

KB4035036 - .NET Preview August 2017 for .NET 4.6.1 installs .NET 4.7 DLLs

Hi All,

it looks like that ndp46-kb4033990-x64 one of the Updates included in
KB4035036-August 2017 Preview of the Quality Rollups for the .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, and 4.7 for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/4035036)

patches the wrong .NET 4.6.1 DLLs on a Windows 2008 R2 Server.

Registry sill says .NET 4.6.1 (394271) is installed, but

the new patched files have a signature from 4.7.
For e.g: mscorlib.dll has after the patch 4.7.2106.0.

There a some third-party products, that have problems with .NET 4.7, like OpenEdge Progress.(https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/gui-net-application-crashes-after-net-upgrade-to-4-7).

And after installing KB4035036, we have the same issues as if we installed .NET 4.7 directly.

I know that KB4035036 is only a preview, but i hope that this issue doesn`t go online in the september production updates.

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alexander Leder shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Wm B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This patch KB4035036 messed up my system and took an entire afternoon to resolve.

It made it impossible to use my networked printer (Epson Workforce 630), repeatedly launched an application called "AMDCCC/AEM Capturing Window" that slowed speeds to about 10% of normal, and made it impossible to manipulate items on the desktop without administrator permission.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 on an HP g6-1c58dx.

Eventually I rolled back the patch using system restore, but what an annoying waste of time. And there's no other place that I could find to report these issues to Microsoft, which makes me think nobody there wants to hear about user experiences.

Gee... ya think?

Feedback and Knowledge Base