How can we improve the installation and patching of Windows Server?

Update KB4057903 has a bug

Exchage within a Hyper-V VM with Windows Server 2012 r2: Update KB4057903 leads to an almost unresponsive server. I could reproduce the behaviour twice by deinstalling the update. Please, provide a new version of KB4057903 without the bug. Thanks.

See also the discussion in https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/387da0db-6046-4838-9db7-c8ddcb6810da/update-kb4057903-fails-in-windows-server-2012-r2-hyperv?forum=winserverhyperv

46 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Orkan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Meserias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

KB4057903 and KB4072650 are detected to be needed by this WSUS server that we have.
        Of course I have tryed to install them but after reboot nothing happens....these two updates are still detected as needed.

I don't have run or ever run Exchange on this WSUS server.
        Also, this WSUS server it's an VM machine hosted on Hyper-V 2016 Core edition

Microsoft ...please fix this.

• DigitalHate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never patch VM's now without taking a checkpoint first and after updates are completed and confirmed all is good I delete the checkpoint.

• Paco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This update put our VM in a perpetual reboot loop. We had to restore from backup.

• Briguy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem still exists, just killed an Exchange 2016 server because of this.

• Seb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ame problem with me, the update KB4072650 try 3 time to install is self, after the tird , my server as been rolling back.

Question: Do I need to install the KB4057903 before installing KB4072650, because I hide this marvellous update KB4057903. (Sarcasm)

I realy do not like patching tuesday!!!!

• Werner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here:
        - VM Host Server 2016
        - Guest VMs: Server 2012R2 with Exchange 2016 DAG

After installing update the server needs 15 minutes to show login screen.
        The exchange services don't work - everyting so slow.
        After deinstalling KB4057903 everyting is fine again.
        Try to use workaround (disable exchange services before installing update) later.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update installed and destroyed the hyper-v network adapter. No network on DC means a long startup time for windows. Managed to repair by removing adapter from hardware list and reinstalling using integration services

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

M$ fix your patches before releasing. Putting a lot of money in SAM to sell more licenses instead of cleaning the mess you did.

In my case the update fails to install. It will revert the installation to before the update after reboot. This happened on a non exchange server.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had the same problem twice on 2012r2. Only one of the servers is an exchange server.

Had the same problem, Installed KB4057903 system was unresponsive after that, Had to boot into safe mode and uninstall and server came back. 2012r2 with exchange 2013

Feedback and Knowledge Base