How can we improve the installation and patching of Windows Server?

Support to boot from SD Card

It's about time that Windows Server (fully licensed product and Hyper-V Server) offered support for customers (not just OEMs) to deploy Hyper-V hosts and Windows Serverson SD cards. I have talked to the OEMs and they want it too. The h/w is already there for vSphere - fault tolerant on-board dual card readers. This will reduce costs of hosts and make for faster & easier deployment.

134 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aidan Finn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for this. We currently PXE boot install ESXi on SD card all our remote sites with persistent logs on the datastore. Installing the host OS to hard drive is not an option. This is the one thing stopping us adopting Nano hyperV as ESXi replacement across all our sites.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also would like option to boot Nano Server from USB device (think Windows to go style USB SSD, not flash drive), primarily as Hyper-V server. Particular use case would include existing servers with internal USB slots to support USB boot scenario (but no SD boot option); technically a 'removable' device, but unlikely to be removed as requires opening case. When using USB/SD boot option, all locally attached storage (SATA/SAS) can be dedicated to Storage Spaces for hyper-converged cluster.

• Norma Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All you have to do is o to BIOS and then System Configuration , chose security options or device security or open each one until you find the SD card boot option and check it and then ,move it up the list to where you want it to be in line then save changes. My hacker uses sd card and usb boot to boot directly to the SQL server the VM server and the Hyper V server. My laptop also has CIM-XML and CIM over HTTP. It has more streaming and connecting going on than the moon has dust. Com surrogate plays a big part and you must have every kind of adapter that there are ports. I even have wired connections to my laptop virtually. Go figure that. Its too bad I DON'T WANT ANY OF IT. It's most impressive.

• Aidan Finn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, we need more than is with USB currently. That's why I have said "not just Hyper-V Server" and "not just OEMs getting support". Customers want support to deploy WS2016 Hyper-V -themselves- without the assistance of OEMs.

Feedback and Knowledge Base