How can we improve Active Directory in Windows Server?

Open Source the ActiveDirectory PowerShell Module

Please consider open sourcing the ActiveDirectory PowerShell Module. While regarded as feature complete internally at MSFT, there is still much work that can be done to offer PowerShell users of all skill levels a more consistent experience by ensuring all Cmdlets in the ActiveDirectory Module accept pipeline input and parameter binding by property name and value. There is also tremendous value in providing PowerShell users with Cmdlets to determine which attributes in the Active Directory schema have been indexed as well as Cmdlets to extend the schema with the addition of other attributes.

139 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Salzgeber shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Kirchmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This only makes sense and the longer we have to wait for the access to the internals, the more likely another solution will be cobbled together. That "other solution" may actually become better than the problem it was intending to solve.

• Paul Wojtysiak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could allow the tools to be installed in the Mac OS and Linux versions of PowerShell too as it would no longer require RSAT tools! That would be amazing to be able to really work from any computer you choose or have available at the time. This is what MS is stating is their goal. It would be great to see it here.

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's annoying that Microsoft Customers really have to ask to make the product open source, so that we can fix the problems which are here since years.
    It's a shame.

• Robert McDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> Cmdlets to extend the schema with the addition of other attributes

I had to make my own cmdlet at my last job to do this. It was a huge PITA.

• Chris Salzgeber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Sebastian's point, I don't think the revision is going to address any of these issues given how long they've been present. Particularly considering that everyone I spoke with at MSFT on the PowerShell Team made no mention of it.

• Sebastian N. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They've already said that a revised version of the AD Module is going to be released with the 2016 Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT). So hold your horses until server 2016 becomes available :-)

Feedback and Knowledge Base